Eye Care Community
Fuchs and narrow angles

This patient support community is for discussions relating to eye care, cataracts, glaucoma, retinal detachment, eye infections, misaligned eyes, intra-ocular implants, refractive surgery (LASIK and CK), glasses, contact lenses, amblyopia, eye injuries, dry eyes, ocular allergy, eye pain and discomfort, pediatric eye disorders, eyelid and tearduct surgery, poor eyesight, and eye surgery.

Fuchs and narrow angles

I had my narrow angles lasered in 2009. Shortly after that I started having blurring vision, etc. (my older sister was diagnosed with Fuchs in her early 50s....didn't bother to tell anyone that its hereditary.) Even with my glasses on and so went to a new eyedoctor who told me I have Fuchs and the beginnings of cateracts.  No glacoma and that at the time of the first visit to this doctor he said he was surprised how good the measurements (my corneas I guess) were and to not worry about it and that I was not a candidate for surgery anyway. He did not explain that. Since then I have joined a groupl called Fuchs Friends. Very informative.  I'm just wondering if the lasering for the angles caused the Fuchs to activate (if thats the right word, till then I'd had no symptoms and had never been told by anyone else I had Fuchs)and I've also read that the lasering may not keep me safe from pressure build up so I should have surgery. Is this true?
Laser of any kind will never cause Fuchs Dystrophy.  Even with laser opening to relieve narrow angles you could get open angle glaucoma. There is an article on my blog on Fuchs

JCH MD