Eye Care Expert Forum
Gas Bubble after surgery

Our Ask-A-Doctor Eye Care Forum is where you can post your question and receive a personal answer from physicians affiliated with the American Academy of Ophthalmology.

Gas Bubble after surgery

I had a vitrectomy almost two weeks ago and have a gas bubble to reattach my retina.  Iwas just wondering what the normal vision with the gas bubble is like...I can kinda see thorugh it, but it looks like I'm under water...it also seems like my vision moves...is that because the bubble is moving?  I can see light, and colors, and the closer something is to my face, the better I can see it.  Objects that are farther away are hard to make out.  The strangest hing is that "watery" looking image.  Is this all normal?
Dear Alaineb75,

The vision will depend upon the size of the gas bubble.  If your vision is changing, I would recommend that you speak with your retinal specialist.  

Dr. Feldman

Sandy T. Feldman, M.D., M.S.
ClearView Eye and Laser Medical Center
San Diego, California
yes, all normal...your vision w/the gas is pretty good...most people with a gas bubble get the best vision when looking down, not straight ahead. It's not until the gas is less than 50% that you'll really be able to see well looking straight ahead (assuming you did not have a macula-off detachment).
Ok, so I was given a general piece of paper that said I would not be able to see through the bubble, and that when it started to shrink I would be able to see underneath it.  Well..I can see  a little above it and to the sides a little if I tilt my head, but not underneath yet...I can see when I look down but it's still that "underwater" look of looking through the bubble.  Should I be concerned?  The bottom and right side of my left eye is where I actually had the problems to begin with...