Eye Care Expert Forum
Glass in Eye

Our Ask-A-Doctor Eye Care Forum is where you can post your question and receive a personal answer from physicians affiliated with the American Academy of Ophthalmology.

Glass in Eye

A high school science experiment went awry when a pyrex glass pie plate with water inside "exploded" into what appeared to be glass dust. There were several students in the classroom who sustained glass injuries to their hands/arms as all students were sitting in a circle around the table. And no, they were not wearing goggles.  My question is this: Can glass fragments be lodged into any part of the eye and the person affected not be aware of it?
  • eye problem (2 replies):
    Hello, I have a serious problem with my eye. I can't foc...[more]
Yes, but very unusual for the person not to have had any sensation in the eye at the time of the incident.  If anyone has any vision problems or had pain in the eye at the time of the explosion, they may need to have a CT scan of their eyes to look for small foreign body fragments.  In the absence of any symptoms whatsoever, this is very unlikely.

HV