Eye Care Community
Glaucoma 16yr old

This patient support community is for discussions relating to eye care, cataracts, glaucoma, retinal detachment, eye infections, misaligned eyes, intra-ocular implants, refractive surgery (LASIK and CK), glasses, contact lenses, amblyopia, eye injuries, dry eyes, ocular allergy, eye pain and discomfort, pediatric eye disorders, eyelid and tearduct surgery, poor eyesight, and eye surgery.

Glaucoma 16yr old

About a month ago I was diagnosed with glaucoma, I am 16 year old. I know it's uncommon but I also know there are babies that are born with it so I know I just have to take care of myself from now on. I have been putting drops in my eyes twice every day (every 12 hours). The drops are called IMOT, I've been told they're the best. However, I'm still worried that they won't make enough progress to stop my high eye pressure. I have glaucoma in my right eye, my left one not yet. I would like to know how I could prevent my left eye from developing it. I've read that the way I use my eyes (reading too much, computers or television, adrenaline) does not affect my glaucoma, but then what else can I do? When I use my contact lenses I get strong headaches even the day after I use them. Should I stop using them even though I used to wear them every day for about 2 years before I was diagnosed with glaucoma? I took the peripheral vision test a few weeks ago and my peripheral vision is in fact affected. Is there anything I can do like eye exercises in order to stop losing any more?? Finally, I have also read that marijuana helps lower eye pressure, is it effective? Anything extra I could do please let me know! Thankyou so much!!!
I have no idea of the ophthalmology services available in Costa Rica. Ideally you would see an Eye MD ophthalmologist that specializes in glaucoma. I think it very important that you get a second opinion from a glaucoma specialist that you have glaucoma. If you do the preferred treatment is likely NOT drops but SLT or ALT laser. As often as 70% of the time that controls glaucoma and drops are not needed only careful follow up.

Exercises will not help glaucoma, using your eyes does not cause glaucoma. If there is a medical school in Costa Rica that might work. If possible financially you might go to Bascom Palmer Eye Insitute of U of Miami to determine if you have glaucoma and if you do have laser there.

JCH MD

JCH MD
Thank you very much I appreciate it! The doctor who diagnosed me with it was in fact an eye MD ophthalmologist specialized in glaucoma. You did not however respond to my question about marijuana. Do you know anything about it?
Marijuana is NOT needed to treat even the worse case of glaucoma.   Marijuana is a dangerous drug. Look on this page at the bottom at the TODAY'S PULSE. You can scroll through the articles by clicking on the dots. There is an article by a glaucoma specialist Dr. Charles Lederer on MJ and glaucoma. Read it.

As an aside, it makes no sense for social planners-social police to legislate against trans fats and as in New York City large soft drink containers and have these same people support legalizing marijuanna.  On Medhelp are some excellent papers from Missouri Medicine medical journal that clearly outline the many many many health hazzards of marijuanna.

JCH MD