Eye Care Community
Glaucoma drops and eye pain

This patient support community is for discussions relating to eye care, cataracts, glaucoma, retinal detachment, eye infections, misaligned eyes, intra-ocular implants, refractive surgery (LASIK and CK), glasses, contact lenses, amblyopia, eye injuries, dry eyes, ocular allergy, eye pain and discomfort, pediatric eye disorders, eyelid and tearduct surgery, poor eyesight, and eye surgery.

Glaucoma drops and eye pain

I have been using Xalatan for the last 6 months for my eye pressure which was 23 and now is around 17.

Over the last 3-4 weeks I have eye pain in one of the eyes, consistent dull ache. I visited my Optho and had eye dilated and checked and everything looks fine. He changed the drops to Travatan. But the pain is still present after using travatan for like 2 weeks. What else can be the cause? What else should I try to find out?
I am also taking BP medication Bystolic so not sure if that has anything to do at all. Thanks
Suggest you call your ophthalmologist with this additional information. Neither Xalatan nor Travatan Z cause headaches in all but the most rare cases

It may not be your eye (other possibilities sinus, blood pressure, tension, migraine)

JCH MD
Dr it is not the headaches it is the eye pain that I am stuggling with. Do the eye drops cause dry eye which can cause the eye pain?

Optho knows I take BP medicine and says it is unlikely the cause.
If it was your eye drops I would expect it to be both eyes. Plus its an uncommon side effect of the drops. Plus dry eyes are more prone to cause the eye to feel dry, irritable, sandy, like wind was blowing on them and not a deep pain.

JCH MD