Glaucoma patient for 5 years
Hello All, I was diagnosed for Low Tension Glaucoma 5 years ago.In addition I also have Cataract in right eye.Initially I used Xalatan for 1 year and then my doctor did a small laser procedure to open up the cornea in my eyes to let the fluid out which has kept the eye pressure under 16 or so. Currently I am using Patanol and its only for occasional use. As per my doctor ,My glaucoma has not spread at all and it is in same condition when diagnosed.I am currently 33 and according to my doctor,I am a unique case.
Reason for posting here is that I am having difficulty in focusing work like computer where you look at screen for extended periods.I simply can not work on a computer screen for long periods .I start having extreme pain in my eyes.Sometime only one eye and other times both eyes.At times ,Watching TV is also a problem and causes pain in the eyes.My doctors continues to tell me not to worry and that its normal however I think my doctor does not have an answer to this or does not want to tell me everything .I recently quit my stable office job an started studying a course for Blue collar job so I wont have a problem with eyes/computer/focusing.However I am very concerned overall. Any feedback/ideas.
Yes I have some thoughts. Your description of your laser in inaccurate. You may have had a laser treatment for open angle glaucoma (low tension is a type of this) called a laser trabeculoplasty OR you may have had a hole put in your iris with the laser called a laser irodotomy. The latter is often associated with farsightedness.

You should be under the care of an Eye MD ophthalmologist. If you had the hole in the iris then this is what you should request of your Eye MD. 1. explain your symptoms. 2. The glasses testing technician should do a pre-dilation glasses test using what is called "fogging" technique and "push plus" on the testing.  3. You then need to be dilated with at least two sets of dilating drops one of which should be a "cycloplegic" usually tropicamide. After waiting about 20-35 minutes a "cycloplegic" refraction should be done. This will tell the eye MD how much "latent farsightedness" you have.

With this information the Eye MD can tell you whether single vision glasses all the time, bifocal glasses or reading/computer/near work glasses would be helpful.

If you had the first procedure this should also still be done to check for "latent" hyperopia and "convergence insufficientcy"

You can print this out along with your question and take it in to see the eye MD

John C. Hagan III, MD, FACS, FAAO
American Academy of Ophthalmology Eye Forums @ MedHelp.org
Hi Doctor, I am still not sure what it is called but the laser procedure was to put holes in my iris.Sorry I used the wrong term before .My eyes have been tested and only thing recommended was a simple reading glasses of +.50 .I will check with doctor again and will certainly take this printout with me.
Okay a hole in the iris is iridotomy. Almost all those requiring that procedure are farsighted. Young farsighted people can see well without glasses but near work creates eyestrain.

You will need the first testing method I described. Print out what I wrote and tell the eye MD you want to see if you have "latent hyperopia" that might be causing your near problems.

JCH MD