Eye Care Community
Glaucoma

This patient support community is for discussions relating to eye care, cataracts, glaucoma, retinal detachment, eye infections, misaligned eyes, intra-ocular implants, refractive surgery (LASIK and CK), glasses, contact lenses, amblyopia, eye injuries, dry eyes, ocular allergy, eye pain and discomfort, pediatric eye disorders, eyelid and tearduct surgery, poor eyesight, and eye surgery.

Glaucoma

.So I am having a problem that my glaucoma specialist has is baffled by. Lately, I have been seeing blank spots in my vision. It is in the left and the right eye and all over the peripheral. The thing is I don't know if they have always been there or just started appearing.  I've had an OCT, retinal fiber analysis, dialated eye exam, and a visual field(last week) within the last year and the doctor said everything looked fine. No new defects on visual field(though the blank spots are mostly outside the 30 degree that the visual field tests). In addition, my Glaucoma has been said to be under control because of all the test tooken and also my pressures which went from the high twenties to the sixteens. But at the same time these thing are still happening. My doctor has referred me to a neurologist. In addition the biggest blank spot in my eye suddenly showed up one morning and got smaller. This happened a year ago and is still prest today. I occasionally (several times a day) get bright spots in my vision that last only seconds to a minute.

Questions:
Could this be normal? I heard that the brain can naturally have these spotes corresponding to the vision.
I've had migraines and bright spots in vision. Could this be the cause of the blank spots?
Though it looks like my glaucoma is controled, Could the glaucoma be the cause still?
Thank you for your help.
.
No its not normal. No it should not be migraine because blank spots due to migraine are only present during the migraine attack. Yes it could be the glaucoma.  Suggest you also see a neuro-ophthalmologist.

JCH MD
Thank you for your advice. Something is not making sence then. My glaucoma specialist told me everything in my eye is looking good  and nothing is showing any new damage. I myself even took a look at everything to double check. The visual field, OCT, Nerve fiber analysis, and dialated eye exam showed nothing abnormal. May I also say that I did notice a blank spot or two two years back but I was less worried about it. But now it seems like the more I look for them the more there present(Not sure if it is more spots then two years ago because I wasnt really looking for them as much as I am now). Though I am still going to see a nurologist, I am going to stop worrying. Please give me some advice. Thank you
Sure, please read the last sentence in my last post.
JCH MD
3 weeks post  bilateral capsulotomy:  have large star burst lights at night and pain in both eyes,, what to do?  Dr. states all is good with my eyes. How to fix?
Get a second opinion from another respected eye surgeon not associated with your present surgeon.
JCH MD
Dear Dr.
Have you ever treated a patient with this post capsulotomy problem?  I have read on other sites  other people who had similar defect. But, I have not read anywhere how to fix it.

My brain is also feeling the effects:nausea, dizzyness,pain,
thank you
ldhwg