Eye Care Expert Forum
Grain of sand in eyelid
About This Forum:

Our Ask-A-Doctor Eye Care Forum is where you can post your question and receive a personal answer from physicians affiliated with the American Academy of Ophthalmology.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
This expert forum is not accepting new questions. Please post your question in one of our medical support communities.
Blank Blank

Grain of sand in eyelid

Hi,
Today I went to the beach and decided to play in the sea,
in one splash from the wave I began feeling, this eye irritation in my left eye lid and occasionally in the outer corner of my eye.
Will Doctors  be able to remove the grain of sand out of my eye?
I have been feeling discomfort all day now and I am on holiday so I could not go see a doctor immediately.
Please tell me what the doctors would do,for I have done everything else written on the internet so far (rinse with eye solution, blink, blow, eye bath, cotton swab,)
1735584_tn?1311113373
After aggressively flooding the eye with water, you've likely removed all the debris out of the eye and sometimes a persistent foreign body sensation can be present if the surface was roughed up by whatever made contact with your eye.  I would continue lubricating the eye with artificial tears 4 times a day for a week and if the symptoms persist or worsen, you may need to be seen by an ophthalmologist where they could look for any persistent foreign bodies or do a sweep of around the eye with a cotton swab checking for anything still stuck underneath your eyelids.
Blank
Continue discussion Blank
This Forum's Experts
233488_tn?1310696703
John C Hagan III, MD, FACS, FAAOBlank
Discover Vision Centers of Kansas City
Kansas City, MO
2078052_tn?1331936700
Doreen Fazio, M.D.Blank
Amerisight Institute and Valley Eye Center
Van Nuys, CA
1731421_tn?1358826971