Eye Care Community
Green Flash In Right Eye

This patient support community is for discussions relating to eye care, cataracts, glaucoma, retinal detachment, eye infections, misaligned eyes, intra-ocular implants, refractive surgery (LASIK and CK), glasses, contact lenses, amblyopia, eye injuries, dry eyes, ocular allergy, eye pain and discomfort, pediatric eye disorders, eyelid and tearduct surgery, poor eyesight, and eye surgery.

Green Flash In Right Eye

I have been having the same eye problem for about three weeks now. What’s been happening is, in my right eye on the side closest to my nose I can sometimes see a green flash of light. It started out bright white and looked like a regular flasher (I have flashers and floaters), and I first noticed at night as went I to lay down it bed. I tried to recreate it, and keep happening every time I did it. After about five times I became very anxious and stopped trying to recreate it. It is almost always prediticable; if I move my head fast to the left or right I can see it in my visual path. I mostly only notice it when it is dark in my bedroom. I can also sometimes see it when my eyes are closed. I hardly ever notice it during the daylight hours, and sometimes when it’s dark I don’t see it at all. I have gone to two eye doctors and they both told me the inside of my eyes look good and healthy, and I do not appear to have any retina problems, but told me to be aware incase in time I do(I did have an eye injury as a child I am 21 now, but. I got kicked in the eye while playing soccer when I was younger). I don’t know if this is related to “Pressure Phosphene” or not, any help would be great, as I am becoming extremely worried.
We try and educate people that saying "eye doctor" is not a good thing as it can mean a MD eye physician ophthalmologist with a broad array of medical and surgical skills or a non-MD, non-physician, limited training, limited skills, non-surgical optometrist.

Now if you saw two Eye MDs then I would do watchful waiting and see if something new develops or your symptoms get worse.

If you saw two optometrists then you have not been adequately examined in my opinion and you need to see an Eye MD in the very near future. In the USA find one near you at www.aao.org  elsewhere ask your GP to refer you.

JCH MD
Well I saw one optometrist, and one eye MD, who performs eye surgeries. My optometrist referred me to the eye MD. They both looked and said they couldn’t find anything wrong. My eye MD suggested that maybe the green flash is occurring when a floater hits the side of the eye. But I am still worried because it has been occurring for about three weeks now.
It it persists or gets worse either see the Eye MD again or see a retina Eye MD find one near you at www.aao.org

JCH MD
Okay I have two more questions:

1) Could my problem be realted to Pressure Phosphenes?

2) I am soon going to be traveling by air plane, would the air pressure make my problem worse?

I am planning on seeing a retina MD to be on the safe side.
Ask your retina MD 1 & 2  better answers than I can give.

JCH MD
Let us know if you find out anything from the retina dr. I have some similar symptoms. Thanks
-
I'm having almost the exact same problem you are, and I'm only 15 years old. But the difference is that I've been having these flashes very often for the past three years. They're green, and they only come at night. I read online somewhere that flashes can be created when the eye is stimulated by light, but isn't that strange, that I get them, when I've been lying in the pitch darkness of my room, without any lights on?
I'm trying to find the same answers you are. It's nice to know that somebody actually has my same problem, because I thought I was the only one.