Eye Care Community
Grey patch in eye

This patient support community is for discussions relating to eye care, cataracts, glaucoma, retinal detachment, eye infections, misaligned eyes, intra-ocular implants, refractive surgery (LASIK and CK), glasses, contact lenses, amblyopia, eye injuries, dry eyes, ocular allergy, eye pain and discomfort, pediatric eye disorders, eyelid and tearduct surgery, poor eyesight, and eye surgery.

Grey patch in eye

My 4 year old daughter has 2 little grey patches on the white of her eyeball. They are about 2mm wide (though it is difficult to get a good look at them as she won't sit still). The doctor is unsure what it could be and has referred her to an eye clinic. Any ideas. She doesn't seem to have any visual problems
Normally they are harmless collections of pigment that develop around small vessels or nerves that inter the white part of the eye. Keep the appointment. Be sure you have been referred to an Eye MD ophthalmologist.  Have a complete exam done. At her age she needs to be tested for amblyopia.

JCH MD
Thanks John this has put my mind at rest. She has actually already been tested for lazy eye as her sister has one but we will take her along for the appointment nevertheless.
-
Thank you so much for that answer! I have a 4 year old daughter with the same gray patches in both of her eyes.. there have been there since birth. It has been worrying so much about it and had no straight answers.
In young childen the white part of the eye (Sclera) is thinner than in the adult and often lets the blue layer under it (choroid) show through in small patches usually at 3 and 9 oclock on the sclera.

There is a condition called blue sclera but in all or most of the white part is bluish.

JCH MD
My  daughter has the same blue/grey spots in her eyes,  she has them in both though  and it is causing her pain,  she says it feels like needles  are going in her eye.  Should I  take her to the ER  or just make her an appt?
The condition described above your post (dated Feb 23, 2010) is NOT painful. If she is obviously quite ill or in severe pain call your pediatrician or go to ER. If not sick or marked pain call your pediatrician tomorrow and discuss referral to Eye MD ophthalmologist physician.

JCH MD
Thank you so much!
=