Eye Care Expert Forum
HELP CHALAZION/STYE

Our Ask-A-Doctor Eye Care Forum is where you can post your question and receive a personal answer from physicians affiliated with the American Academy of Ophthalmology.

HELP CHALAZION/STYE
Hi everyone,

im a 20 year old male and I have been suffering from a chalazion for well over a couple of months now.. at first i was told that my immune system would fight it off and it wouldnt be around for long.. the chalazion effectively disregarded my doc's comment and intended to stay on my eye. I have tried a hot compress... i have found that it does help the pain but visibly it doesnt seem to get smaller..or not small as id like it to.

Its pretty big and its noticeable on my upper eyelid. I have tried a hot compress but i find that i keep burnign my eye lid.. but the water doesnt feel uncomfortable? I need to get rid of this as its affecting my day to day life.. its creeping over the eyelashes and i can almost see it getting inthe way of my vision. Surgery is the last option as i have just started a new job and taking time off will be difficult as i hear recovery is around 5 days.

Please what can i do to make it go away ASAP
5 days? I doubt it will take that long. I do chalazion surgery in the office and have had patients go back to work the following day. Get the surgery done, it will help.
Best wishes,
Timothy D. McGarity, M.D.
I had a nasty one last year. I had to be very consistent with the warm compresses and I put a drop of castor oil in my eye  a few times day. You might want to give that a try.