Eye Care Community
Halo Around Lights?

This patient support community is for discussions relating to eye care, cataracts, glaucoma, retinal detachment, eye infections, misaligned eyes, intra-ocular implants, refractive surgery (LASIK and CK), glasses, contact lenses, amblyopia, eye injuries, dry eyes, ocular allergy, eye pain and discomfort, pediatric eye disorders, eyelid and tearduct surgery, poor eyesight, and eye surgery.

Halo Around Lights?

I am a 25 years old female that has never experienced any eyesight problems from day one I was born.  Always had 20/20 vision and never needed corrective lenses.  For the past year I have experienced a halo or haze around street lights, car front/tail lights, etc.  My visions is very clear other than the halo/haze.  When the halo/haze occurs I test my vision by reading text of every size and variance of distances on street signs, license plates, etc.  All text and objects are clear in color and focus, just as they should be.  I had gone to the eye doctor 2 months ago, because I have been experiencing the halo/haze more frequently within the past 6-8 months.  The doctor seemed to have given me a very extensive eye exam, because of my concerns of the halo/haze.  I have cataract as well as glaucoma the runs in my family in my Mothers Father and my Father's Father. The doctor was very much aware of this during my exam and he tested my eye with various methods for cataract/glaucoma, and found nothing wrong with my eyesight.  He recommended that I try "liquid tears," to test if that alleviated the symptoms.  I tried the drops and there is no success.  I work 8-10 hours 5 days a week in front of a computer, under regular office flood lighting.  During the exam the doctor was not able to make the symptoms happen with any of his tests and he felt I was young with no worries of cataract nor glaucoma.  The halo/haze is not painful at all, it's more of a major nu sense especially when I am driving with street lights, car lights, lit signs and skyscrapers.  Please help me!  This obviously is not normal, and I am very scarred that my eyes will be permanently damaged if what I am experiencing is not treated ASAP!  What should I do?  Who should I see?  Does anyone else have this problem?  

This discussion is related to Halos Around Lights.
You could be experiencing dry eye keratopathy from too much computer work or accommodative spasm from the same.  Shirmers testing for dry eyes could be helpful, perhaps treat for dry eyes just to see if it helps.  Take frequent breaks from your computer work and use artificial tears frequently.  Fortunately you do not seem to have corneal disease or cataract or refractive error which would be main causes.  You should get a second opinion from ophthalmologist.

MJK MD
The eye doctor that I saw had recommended liquid eye lubrication such as "Liquid Tears," but no alleviation of the halo/haze?  I initially thought that the long hours in front of the computer monitor had been the source to my halo/ haze episodes, but I later noticed that the halo/haze was occurring during the weekend when I had been nowhere near a computer all day?  I have a photo that is a VERY good example of what it is that I see.  I'm hoping to show the photo to help doctors to better assess the symptoms.
Hi.  I am having the very same symptoms right now.  I went to see an opthalmologist and he couldn't find anything at all wrong with my eyes.  He referred me to a neurologist who I will be seeing later this month.  I'm curious to know what happened with you.  Did the halos eventually just go away or did you manage to get a diagnosis? Mine have been getting gradually worse unfortunately.
Hi to all.
I have just noticed that I am now seeing halos while driving at night.I really don't recall that I had problem before. Seems that all of a sudden I have a problem. My problem is so bad that I feel that I should no longer drive at nignt. I do computer work for about 10 hours a day. Sometimes without much of a break because of tight deadlines. I am 66 years old. I'll be seeing a doctor soon to find out what is happening to my eyes.
Jacee22
Hi, when you see your PCP ask for a referal to a Neurologist. I have same symptoms and mine are caused from Migrain headaches. Remember just because you have a migrain does not mean it has to be painful. Some types of migraines cause many different visual problems with no pain. Good luck and I hope you get better.

Mike
Very good information.
Hi, I'm also experiencing the halos or rainbows around car lights, lamp posts but only at night. This has been happening for the past 2 nights. I thought maybe it was due to dry eyes and have been using the eye drops. I also had lasik done about 2 yrs ago, but never had this problem until 2 nights ago. I was also thinking can it be due to allergies? My eyes feel scratchy or slightly irritated but no pain. Kind of feels like if i had an eyelash in my eye....nothing painful just bothersome. This ***** because I was looking forward to taking my mom tonight to see Tina Turner, and i'm scared that due to all the lights on stage I will not be able to focus on the show and just be bothered by all the halos. Plus last night when this happened, I was in the car with my mother driving and immediately I can feel a headache coming on. So I'm wondering if can be a silent migraine? I get migraines once in a blue moon. So it is migraines? allergies? dry eyes? And to top it off, I went for my yearly eye exam last month and they tested for glaucoma and said everything was fine. Still had 20/20 vision since lasik. Also he put a drop in my eyes to see if showed dryness and it didn't. So any info would be great! I will definately be calling the eye doctor 2moro to see what is going on.

i am 16 and have been noticing the glow or aura around streetlights. ive also noticed a halo or a very feint ring around the lights. the ring is hard to notice but if i look at the light for a while it appears. im not sure if its just my mind making me see the ring or not. the glow around the streetlights, cars etc, is very big and bright. its the same colour as the light. people have said this is a symptom of brain cancer or a tumor and thats what i am worried about, have been for weeks and now this has made it worse. just wondering if this is normal or if anyone could tell me what these HALOS are that doctors are talking about, are they easy to see? or what because im not sure and im very worried.
I have been experiencing halos and blurred/double vision in my right eye on and off since I gave birth to my second child 2 years ago. The blurriness has been accompanied by feelings of nausea and head pressure. I have been to a couple different opthamologists who have found nothing wrong with my vision or the health of my eye. I am currently seeing a neurologist who initially thought it was migraines and gave me medication that controls the nausea and head pressure but does not alleviate the blurred vision. My vision is blurred in my right eye from the time I get up in the morning until I go to sleep at night and gets progressively worse throughout the day. Caffeine, computer usage, and tv watching all seem to make it even worse. My neurologist now says that the constant blurred vision I have in one eye is not caused by a migraine and doesn't know what is causing it. Anyone have any thoughts?
I, too, have had this experience for many years.  Had my vision checked in the 90s and was also told my vision was fine (no glaucoma, cataracts, etc.) and to try the liquid tear drops for possible "dry" eye.

I am 44 yrs old and have had this most of my life.  My teenage daughter also sees the rings too.  Mostly at night w/car lights, most street lights, candles, etc., or inside halogen lights.  I'm wondering if it's genetic, or just normal for some people......
I just started seeing halos around lights, oncoming cars, reflective signs, etc. I am on Restasis for dry eye, but I also have a condition called NAION which has caused the permanent loss of most of my vision in my right eye.  It is my left eye I am experiencing this with and it really concerns me since it is new, and I fear the loss of vision in the good eye.  I have an eye appointment later this month with my eye Dr.
Since no one knows what causes NAION, I am wondering if I had some of the same problems when I lost my sight last year.  I am not usually out at night driving but did notice it at dusk tonight when driving home. Does anyone have a clue what causes the halos?  thank you
Im 23 and i've noticed rainbow halos in one eye at night around lamp posts and indoor halogen lights. I had my eyes checked before the symptoms appeared, then shortly after the initial exam i saw the halos. I went back to the eye doctor and she said everything looks fine, no cateract/glucoma..but she DID notice 3 MICROSCOPIC "crystals" or just some sort of aggregate , but very very very small...in the LENS of the affected eye. She said they're extremely tiny microscopic specks...and she sees them in some patients too but they don't complain about my symptoms...other than that, she said she sees nothing wrong and the 3 specks dont seem to be of concern bcuz it's unlike cateract where the whole lens is opaque.... she said there's nothing to do about it but i insisted she refer me to an opthamologist (she is an optometrist). i want to ask about vitamin A,C,E is that will help...
I don't think any one has anything to worry about. I work as a Physics research fellow, we believe this is a real effect to do with electron motion within established neural pathways inside the brain. You are seeing the true nature of sub atomic partial behavior. Stand and stair at the halo (Don't worry it wont damage your eyes) you should see that it consists of light and dark bands spreading out perpendicular from the light source, if you look at the halo closely, near the light source you may even see rings around the light. Unfortunately mankind’s understanding of sub atomic behavior still boils down to statistics. Currently we have no solid physical description of what you are seeing, but it can be considered akin to the famous double slip experiment. If you would like to no more google search 'vega.org.uk' and watch the Feynman Lectures, its a real eye opener to the people unexposed to modern physics.
As humans, our eyes and our brain are merely filters through which we are able to percieve things like light.  In this way, our visual perception of light is limited to ourselves.  The way we see light is only OUR way of seeing it.  For the most part, our eyes/brain are conditioned to have a rather limited perception of light.  

When most people look at, for instance, a headlight, they perceive the "light" as being approximately the bright white area directly around the bulb.  However, the extent of the light's energy rays go much beyond the immediate "light" that we normally perceive visually.  There is energy (not just light energy) all around us that most people perceive as being "invisible," but that doesn't mean that it's not there or that it is impossible for us to "see" it.

When you see these "rings" or "halos" around lights, just think of it as seeing light in a different way, a way that is perhaps more "true" to the nature of light itself.
I have the same exact problem and I get optical headaches a lot + its an orb usually around street lights its really bad, and I used to get constant migrains, if anyone figures it out post back id like to find out.
I have the same problem with rainbow halos around lights. I believe the
problem has to do with high blood pressure and/or high blood pressure
in the eye. I went to an opthamologist with this problem and he prescribed
me eye drops containing PROPRANOLOL which is used to lower blood pressure. When the halos appeared I would put the eye drops in my eyes
and the halos would go away within a half hour. Later my regular doctor put me on a regular dosage of PROPRANOLOL LA (long acting) and I quit
having the halo effect. It was quite annoying having the halo effect while trying to drive or go out at night. Talk to your doctor or opthamologist.
PROPRANOLOL  is generic and inexpensive..
I am 42 years old and been short sighted since a teenager, I just recently noticed halos around streetlights and headlights when driving at night, everything else is clear! Just got new lenses, no difference. Optometrist checked everything out and all is fine, I think it is just bad night vision, in that lights are a problem! I am not going to worry about it, unless something else changes, I can still read without glasses and not so many my age can, so we are all different!!!
Does anyone have headaches after seeing the halos?

I see the rainbows distinctevely, with all seven colors or more. I have noticed that sometimes a headache will follow the rainbow, about one hour after, and other times, there is just that: the rainbows, for about 2 hours, and then they go away.

Someone earlier mentioned the silent migraines. i believe in my case, it looks like that.
I know exactly what causes the halos!
I was diagnosed with a rare eye disease recently named pigmentary glaucoma or pigment dispersion syndrome and I figured I’d write about it a bit as when I was told about it and googling my symptoms, I found very little information. So far what I have read, it’s hereditary, it occurs more often in men, ages 20-40 and with age it disappears! Odd.
My First Episode/ Symptom
Night time is when I noticed PSD, the biggest symptom is rainbows around lights or a glowing haze around lights and pain in the eyes, for me a dull pain. To explain the rainbows around lights heres a diagram of what I see:
http://www.amandamackay.com/handmade-blog/wp-content/uploads/2011/10/Pigment-dispersion-syndrome.jpg

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pigment_dispersion_syndrome I love wikipedias information.

The few things I noticed that definitely seemed to bring it on was once going to a high impact fitness class and driving a long distance due to my bumpy car. I am hoping that I can soon curb this with eye drops.

Please let me know what your symptoms are, I am posting this so other people with this condition can find information as I could not find anything when I was having this condition.
This halo around light thing happened to me tonight for the first time. I first noticed it around the halogen lights in my kitchen. But then when I started to drive in the dark, all the street lights were hazed and glowing. At first I thought it was "pretty". Then as I got into traffic it didn't seem so nice. I had a hard time seeing to drive because every cars' headlights were hazed and glowing..... it was hard to judge the distance between me and the other cars. Also, oncoming traffic was blinding. Before I got to my destination, I was scared of getting into an accident. I thought this would be gone by the time I got done with my 90 minute meeting, but as soon as I got back outside, I noticed it was still with me. It was a long ride home.

I have been working in a factory for the last 5 months that uses a lot of chlorine to wash vegtables. Sometimes the fumes are bad, and my eyes have taken a beating from this. I use eyedrops a lot to make my eyes feel better, as they usually feel irritated. I am 49, and have had glasses for almost 1 year.

I am now afraid to drive at night.
I am 32 years old and have seen very bright rainbow/halos around lights at night ever since I can remember, and certainly since I was a young teenager. I have talked to several different eye doctors, one of whom stated it was due to astigmatism. However, when I received corrected lenses they did not go away, they were just much clearer! These rainbows/halos are not associated with pain, and I do not have any diseases or abnormalities of the eyes, that I know of. I used to think it was normal and everyone saw them. I mentioned it once to my very first boyfriend when I was in my teens and looked at me like a freak.
Now, I just accept it and don't worry. I actually think it makes the world more beautiful. Sometimes on a clear full moon night I can see a double rainbow around the moon. I tell people it's a mutant power, like Wolverine, but with sparkles! :)
I do see the distinct colors as well, very clearly. Sometimes if the light is bright enough I can see a double rainbow (so intense? what does it mean?). But no migraines, and they never go away.
So I'm 18 and just in the past month or two Iv noticed that when ever I get off work at night my right eye sees big blue rings around street lights and a thin green or yellow ring around that and if im in a lit building like per say Walmart and all the lights in there are white, everything is kinda faded kinda like how if you keep your eyes open under water in a chlorine pool and after you get out everything is kinda faded white. It happens to all manners of light at night its all kinda bleeds out of the source. I know its only my right eye because I can close it and all the white fade and the blue rings go away vise versa if I close my left eye they all stay and it gets a bit more faded. Also I have sum pressure behind my right eye kinda like its swollen. It only happens at night and I'm pretty sure when I get off work. I'm a host at a wing restaurant so I can't think of anything that I would be doing that's bad for my eye. My eye sight has always been fine and no family members have a past with eye diseases. If some one could help me out I could be really great full.  
I had slight blurred vision with rainbow circles around lights last night. It lasted for about 3 hours.Two drinks of alcohol and it went away. what might be the cause?
Im 25 and last night i started to see halos/orbs/rainbows what ever they are around bright lights like headlights, street lights etc, i thought i was just tired at first and it would be fine the next day, my vision in was fine this morning but as soon as people started turning on headlights i see the halos again, its like a thin wonkey ring with a thicker ring then blur inside the ticker ring it only affect my left eye my right eye is fine!

Im worried because i drive for a living and if i cant drive at night i could loose my job!

If anyone has a cure please share it!
An update, ive been to the local eye casualty dept at hospital, they have said i have Adenoviral Conjunctivitus which has caused "spots" or "epethelial defects" in the cornea, ive been given antibiotics and steroids in the form of wye drops and have been told it will clear up eventually, but can take anywhere from 6-52 weeks to heal! The defects in the cornea are what was causing the hazy vision and halos to appear as light refracted from the uneven surface of the eye. Anyone experiencing similar symptoms should go to the optition and ask to be refered to an opthalmologist a.s.a.p!

Hope this helps!
Thanks for all the comments. I am 54 and a power company lineman by trade for 32 years. The last few months I have noticed the halos. I work a lot at night and it concerns me. Last night during a snow/ice storm, I drove close to 300 miles working outages. I was having bad halos, seeing the on every linear post and on every oncomeing light.  Not in fear for myself, but the guy who was with me while I drove. I have high bllod pressure and have noticed dry eye syndrom (syndrome) for some time.  I am seeing an eye doctor next week.  I will relate all of the above posts as well as my concerns.
Mine only occurs when wearing my safety glasses. I am hoping it is the glasses.
I am 20. I started noticing halos around street lights and headlights at night.
Opthalmologist prescribed FML eye drops, 6 times a day and gradually reduced them to 3 times a day, after a months usage.
The halos gradually reduced, but each time I forget using the eye drops, the halos appear again.
I had this problem for 3 days.  It went away last night.  I see no more halos.

It is my strong belief that I had "dry eye keratopathy" from not blinking while working on car that was blowing hot air from radiator fan into my eyes while I was watching A/C gauges for long periods in hot weather in July in Texas.

Also, I feel that looking at computer screen for long periods, I blink much less than when I am doing other activities.  I try to blink and take breaks from computer more frequently now.

I hope this helps someone else with this problem.
Hi as long as I could remember I was experiencing halo's since I was in grade school but afte 1 week it would be back to normal again, I think my condition is more worse because in my right eye, it's all foggy and sometimes it last for 2weeks the most it gives me headaches too, and likewise consulted a doctor, to no avail, they actually gave me corrective glasess but to no avail, it just gave me a better vision but the foggy and halo's won't go away, there were times when my right eye had about 30 to 40 percent visibility and I thought I was going blind, it was all foggy and I got scared, then the next day I woke up and it was back to normal. It's been about 4 years now that I haven't experienced this, and recently about 2days ago, it came back again, I'm not sure when it's going to go away, but It's just frustrating that I can't do anything about it.
first of all ,my english is poor,i'm chinese
when you noticed halo or haze,try open your eyes as wide as you can,because in some case eyelash can cause "beam" comes out around the light source

i‘m 23 and have some monocular diplopia problem and some myopia and astigmatism .i use computer 10 hours/day sometimes even 20 hours, not rest rules not eat rules about 7 or 8 years. when i go to the eye doctor and get the Slit lamp test and vision tests,doctor think my condition is myopia and astigmatism, monocular diplopia is normal condition cause by astigmatism ,i'm worry about my monocular diplopia may develop worse
Oh my god.. I thought I was the only one. I am 17 year old male that has had the EXACT same symptoms and I've seen 5 eye and brain specialists over this matter. I have had an MRI an EEG, and 5 extensive eye exams. ALL the specialists said that nothing is wrong and that my eyes, optic nerve, and brain are fine. I wish it was that simple but now my vision is getting even worse every week. I have dry eyes as well but none of the specialists have mentioned it as a problem. I have 20/20 vision and see rainbow spectrum outlines and halos around lights and everything else I see. I also have developed light sensitivity alongside the above symptoms (I see sparks around anything bright) PLEASE let me know how you're eyes have been.
The description in your article matches what i see, and your explanation is the most logical i have read to date. Thank you .I feel much better now. I feel no pain, in fact i enjoy the sight of the moon with a vividly colored rainbow circling it . I had this rainbow around lights and the moon since childhood. It didn't bother me until i realized no one   i know of has it.
i feel better now.Thank you
I got Crizal lenses (coating put on your glasses) and it took care of the halos I was seeing around oncoming car headlights.  Last year I had cataract surgery and got corrective lenses implanted so now I do not need to wear glasses.  Thus, I see the halos again.  I am going to take my old glasses to Walmart and have them remove the prescription lenses, and put in clear glass lenses with the Crizal coating so I can use these for night driving.  If you have trouble seeing at night, you owe it to everyone else on the road to correct your problem - you will be happy with the benefit of seeing again!!
MS definitely something to look into
Hello when i was younger around 7 i did not see these "auras" but i noticed them after i went swimming at the public pool because of the chlorine in my eyes i loved swimming at the pool and when we went swimming i alway kept my eye open while in the pool as you might guess public pools has a ton of chlorine and we went swimming for about 5 hours so when we went home my eyes would burn and we would watch tv fresh prince of bel-air and the tv would be blurry kinda like the auras i see today so im wondering if any of you might have gone swimming alot with chlorine i think thats what caused this to my eye's maybe some damage from it i dunno doesn't really bother me i was just wondering what caused it and yes i know i dont have gramer i suck at it lol well im 20 years old male and i see these lights only at night another thing that might have caused it when i was younger i was home school and spent hours in from of a computer from age 9 and i still spend 8-12 hours on the computer mostly at home but at work it depends on the day i might be on the computer for 8 hours at work or 1 hour so maybe the combo i dunno well thanks for reading this long post let me know if any of you maybe had this as a young child with the chlorine
Hi.. I just want to know whether you are still having this problem or not. Today, while at work, my friend and I were having fun with a toy gun and she accidentally shot me in the eye with the foam bullet (Spongy). It really hurt and then I could not feel any more pain for the rest of the day. When I drove back home from work in the dark, I had the same problems like you had. What do you think it is? I'm very worried. I hope to hear an answer from you as soon as possible.
It's an ascension thing!
We are evolving and to see light means our limited view of the world is expanding.I've had this for years now.
Initially it was small  - spikes coming out or in to the light source (like little needles darting out from the centre in a circle). In fact, different countries seem to have different feeling associated with the light coming out from the lamps. And if it's a concert with generator power, the light spikes are different again. Generator powered light seems the "best"!
Then more recently (since Dec 23 12) I've got HDR vision and perception and unlimited depth of field as well, supposedly it happens to us depending on how wise we are for want of a better description.
The halow which were small have gotten really noticible expesiclly at night. I get an entire rainbow around white lights.can see an entire spectrum / rainbow. Seems after watching for 3 seconds or so it disappears and when i look again at the same light does not return, but if i look at a new light I've not looked at yet (on a walk from shops home lookig at lanpposts) then i can see the rainbow around this!
Orange sodium i think I just get the halo. I have perfect vision, been to eye doctors etc. Any other time I dont get this issue at all. Although I would almost go so far to say - light in nature seems much more alive!
Must check the link the physicist posted earlier, there is much we (especially doctors) dont know about this world.
i am 22 years old .i am also experiencing this problem for past 3 days.
I have had the same halo effect for about 4 days.  But only in my right eye. I had only my second migraine in my life about 10 days ago and it last about 6 days. I am 66.  I do work on a computer hours each day, as I am  writer.
Thanks to all of you for relaying your experiences. Good luck.
Michael