Eye Care Expert Forum
Hard to open left eye when waking

Our Ask-A-Doctor Eye Care Forum is where you can post your question and receive a personal answer from physicians affiliated with the American Academy of Ophthalmology.

Hard to open left eye when waking
Why do I have trouble opening my left eye upon waking?  It's like the muscle won't operate without struggling.  It doesn't happen all the time, but when I am on my back and waking suddenly.
Not sure.  Are the eyelids stuck together with yellowish debri or are you just having trouble opening the eyelids spontaniously?  I would go to an ophthalmologist and make sure your eyes are overall healthy.  If all is OK with that, let your primary care physician know and he may consider referring you to a neurologist.  I doubt that would be necessary though if that is the only muscle problem you are experiencing because it could be normal in some people.

HV