Eye Care Expert Forum
Having trouble adjusting to new glasses

Our Ask-A-Doctor Eye Care Forum is where you can post your question and receive a personal answer from physicians affiliated with the American Academy of Ophthalmology.

Having trouble adjusting to new glasses

Hey everyone,

First post here on this forum, although I've been lurking for a little while.  I just picked up new glasses yesterday and am having a whale of a time adjusting to them.  The people at the store said that my new glasses are a weaker prescription, but have much more astigmatism adjustment than my old pair.  I can definitely tell that the new prescription allows me to see smaller print further away, but everything seems a little bit distorted.  It seems as if the stationary objects are moving around me.

My old RX:
-175 - 25  155
-175  ---   ----

New RX:
-100  -75  165
-150  -75  180

I'm not an eye specialist by any means, but this seems like a pretty big change in prescription.  I am getting somewhat lightheaded when I wear them for an extended period of time, especially when looking at things up close.  Are any of these symptoms normal and should I just gut it out for a week and see what happens?  Thanks much for your help!
This is what you need to know.

1. Check where you bought the glasses and see how much time you have to return them for full credit or to have the lens reground without a charge. Time varies from no return allowed to full price returned if within 30-60 days. Most any optical will regrind a lens at no charge within the first 30 days. Our optical offers 60-90 days.

2. Call whoever prescribed the glasses and ask if you can come in for a NO CHARGE glasses recheck. They would check the glasses to be sure ground right, check the fit and repeat the glasses test. If necessary they will call the optical shop and arrange for a no charge redo of your glasses.  Sometimes you have to go back to the old RX if you can't adjust to the new RX.

Do this if you are not getting much better adjusted in the coming week. Adjustment to changes in astigmatism like you have had is common.

JCH MD

Thanks for your reply.  I'm on day three and things have not gotten much better.  I am wondering how important astigmatism correction is - I only wear glasses for driving, and it seems as if I'm a more dangerous driver wearing these because my depth perception is thrown off.  

Is it possible to request my prescription without astigmatism correction?  If so, would this be damaging to my eyes in the long run?  Thanks again.