Eye Care Community
Hazy vision

This patient support community is for discussions relating to eye care, cataracts, glaucoma, retinal detachment, eye infections, misaligned eyes, intra-ocular implants, refractive surgery (LASIK and CK), glasses, contact lenses, amblyopia, eye injuries, dry eyes, ocular allergy, eye pain and discomfort, pediatric eye disorders, eyelid and tearduct surgery, poor eyesight, and eye surgery.

Hazy vision

For the past 4 days I have been experiencing 'hazy' vision. I have had excellent vision for my entire life (25) and only noticed something was different 4 days ago. The best way that I can describe it is like I have just woken up and my eyes have yet to adjust, all the time. The weekend before I noticed the problem I went to a techno concert where I used alkyl nitrites and a small amount of cocaine. I am not a habitual drug user and this was the first time I have used anything other than alcohol and occasionally tobacco since my third year of college. I know there are many possible reasons for hazy eye vision and I hope to visit the doctors office by early next week. Are there any probable explanations due to my techo concert transgressions? Thank you
Sudden changes of vision such as yours it should be considered an emergency. You should see an ophthalmologist as soon as possible. Even if you need to go to an emergency room. Yes the problem could be related to the drugs you took. I have seen patient's die for "a little cocaine".  Learn from this and walk the straight and narrow.

JCH MD
Call ER rooms and find one who will get an Eye MD there for you, or else they might just send you home.
Avatar n tn
Thank you for your advice. Being July 4th it was difficult to find available eye doctors, but  I was able to schedule an appointment with an optometrist for this afternoon.
-
You need to see an MD. This is an emergency--go to an ER. An optometrist is for filling lens RX--not for treating eyes.

Are you in the US?
I should have said eyeMD, opthalmologist. You can call one 365 days per year, for an emergency. My doctor has a 24 hour phoneline, answered by techs.
Avatar n tn
I have not seen an ophthalmologist yet, but here is what the optometrist found. The glaucoma tests were negative (eye pressure test with air) and my eye looked healthy (some fancy 3D test not covered by insurance but cost me $40). My vision was excellent, 20/15 but I felt that I was straining a bit to see the smallest letters. She conducted several other tests and couldn't find anything wrong. Then she did some test to see if I had dry eyes which revealed that my eyes were exceptionally dry (some dead cells could be seen I believe?). I've been using the dry eye treatments that she gave me and I can't really tell if they are working or if I am just getting used to how I am seeing. I'll be sure to get then checked again and I am also going to have a physical exam done as it has been a while since my last.
Please see an ophthalmologist. An optometrist cannot take care of your eyes. You are the only one who can to that by getting yourself to an eye MD.

A physical exam by an internist/general MD is also a good idea.
Avatar n tn
did you ever find out what this was? because i have something very similar and i have had the hazy vision for a few months now.