Eye Care Community
Heavy Mucus in the Eye

This patient support community is for discussions relating to eye care, cataracts, glaucoma, retinal detachment, eye infections, misaligned eyes, intra-ocular implants, refractive surgery (LASIK and CK), glasses, contact lenses, amblyopia, eye injuries, dry eyes, ocular allergy, eye pain and discomfort, pediatric eye disorders, eyelid and tearduct surgery, poor eyesight, and eye surgery.

Heavy Mucus in the Eye

My two year old woke up this morning with a thick green mucus draining from her eyes. She had very dark circles under her eyes also. I would wipe away the mucus with a cool clean cloth and a few minutes later they would be full again. It was in the corners and also filling along the rim and sticking to the eye itself.  She has not been sick, although after this started she did have a little clear sinus drainage, but not much.  I gave her some Benadryl to see if this was allergy related some how.  It did releive a little of the itching, but not much of this mucus production.  Also, the whites of her eyes only became red after she began rubbing them to be able to see better, and the rims of her eyes are not red as typically seen with pink eye?  What the heck is going on?  She has been healthy. The only eye problem she has ever had was a blocked tear duct when she was an infant.  Is there some sort of problem kids can have with their sinuses draining out their tear ducts like this?  Help!  Thanks!
Tags: mucus, eyes
I believe that your daughter should see an eye MD right away. Call your pediatrician's office first and let them make a recommendation. But this should not wait.

The doctor here will give you more information.