Eye Care Expert Forum
Help for my daughter

Our Ask-A-Doctor Eye Care Forum is where you can post your question and receive a personal answer from physicians affiliated with the American Academy of Ophthalmology.

Help for my daughter
My daughter has lazy eye and the eye that turns out.  She needs vision therapy.  Her insurance doesnt cover it.  Are there any programs that can help me get her the help she needs  I dont qualify for the care credit line to finance it so they want me to come up with all the money upfront.  I need help because I wont be able to live with myself if I dont get her the help she needs. Thank you
With very rare exception, vision therapy is a hoax and does not work for strabismus.  She needs to be under the care of an experienced pediatric ophthalmologist for adequate treatment, patching, possible surgery, and possibly some vision therapy as a "it can't hurt to try" treatment on the side.  DO NOT take her to any optometrists who claim to be vision therapy or lazy eye experts.  There is a reason insurance doesn't cover this treatment.  I unfortunately know too many kids that have permanently reduced vision in one eye because they did not receive adequate treatment in time (before age 8-10) while under the care of an optometrist performing vision therapy, charging a ton of money, and having no results to show for it.  

HV