Eye Care Community
High Myopia - Is there anybody out there?

This patient support community is for discussions relating to eye care, cataracts, glaucoma, retinal detachment, eye infections, misaligned eyes, intra-ocular implants, refractive surgery (LASIK and CK), glasses, contact lenses, amblyopia, eye injuries, dry eyes, ocular allergy, eye pain and discomfort, pediatric eye disorders, eyelid and tearduct surgery, poor eyesight, and eye surgery.

Hi everyone.

I'm 35,with  really high myopia ( -17 in left eye and -22 in right eye)astigmatism  and cataract in right eye not impairing sight. Use rigid gas permeable contacts and get along "fine".

Have had gas bubble in left eye and laser in both for retinal tears/holes.
The only procedure I'm considering is IOL when absolutely necessary.

I've never heard of anyone with myopia this high. i'm really worried about future prospects.

I know people with similar conditions can have different outcomes but can anyone with high myopia ( even if not like mine) please give any input or useful information?

Many thanks.

Wishing you all the best,
Sophia

Hi sophia. I don't know what sort of information you're looking for but as a fellow person with a high degree of myopia I know that you're worried about what may happen later on. From some of the research that I've done and from talking with my doctors I know that people with myopia are at a greater risk for developing retinal tears, glaucoma and other eye problems so it is best to make and keep yearly eye exams.

As a 23 year old having been born with ROP (retinopathy of prematurity) I have recently undergone four surgeries to try and correct a recurring detached retina in what was my better eye. Also, I do have an IOL which was put in at the same time I was udergoing my second surgery. It is frustrating and frightening to think what may happen as I get older, since I am down to the use of only one eye.

Make sure you know all the risks of cataract surgery before you go through with it.  It may cause a detached retina.

Dear berrywoo,

Thank you for your reply. I do wish you the very best possible outcome.
I have done some research and continue doing so perhaps in search of some kind of
miracle...
Maybe its silly but sometimes just exchanging whatever sort of information with other people helps.
I even read about "electronic eyes" which have already been proven to work but still don't have
much resolution and I suppose aren't marketable yet...
For now I do get my retinas checked regularly. I try not to overdo computer use and close work and
rest my eyes every 15 or 30 minutes when I do so. I also try to not overdo certain physical activities.
Even if it doesn't help, in recommended amounts it won't hurt so I take vitamin and mineral  
supplement comtaining luthein(?) and zeaxantine (?) as well as salmon oil  which contains omega 3
( EPA and DHA).
Wishing you and everyone the best, Sophia
By the way, thank you.
I am aware of the risks of cataract surgery and will only have this procedure when it is absolutely
necessary.Glaucoma also scares me and if those "electronic eyes" ever really  become available they will be of no help to people with their optic nerve impaired.
I even tried searching homeopathic alternatives but found no answers...
I guess at least we have hope and making the most of what we have!
If you are successful at wearing your hard contact lenses I would advise you  to continue to do that.  The only possible surgical option is called a phakic implant and they only come in a power as high as about -17 so you could consider it in your right eye.  That would give you the freedom of seeing when you wake up in the middle of the night. You could continue to wear the hard lens in your left eye. You can find more information about phakic implants and sugeons in your area by doing a google search on STAAR Visian lens implant or AMO Verisaye lens implant. Do not consider a procedure called clear lensectomy where your lens is removed and replaced as that dramatically increases the risks to your already fragile retinas
Dear Doctor/Doctors,

Thank you for your reply! Have been away from computer. What I´'ve decided for now is to use the
RGP contacts for as long as I can. With -17 ( left eye) and -22 I really don't have good vision with
glasses ( aesthetics aside).I just hope the cataract in my right eye takes a long time to develop
enough to impair my vision or require surgery. At that time I will have no other choice but to get non
phakic IOLs. By the way does the power I require limit my choices in any way ? I have astigmatism
as well though I don't know how much exactly.

Are there specific measures or products you can advise to help my corneas tolerate lenses as
long as possible?

Thank you in advance for yor attention.

Wishing everyone the best,
Sophia
No your high myopia will likely not limit your IOL (intraocular lens) choices. Remember that the technology for IOLs changes very fast and the IOLs used in 2-3 years will be different that those now (better for one or the other reason).  In some instances now with very high power TWO IOLs are put in the eye (piggy-back IOLs).

To maintain your contact lens tolerance have your contact lens and eyes checked at least annually (every 6 months would be better), replace them yearly (ridgid gas permeable contacts don't last much longer than soft CTL and not nearly as long as the very old fashion hard plastic contact lens. Consider removing your contact lens and wearing you glasses in the evening when you're "in for the night". That may not work for you but if it doesn't no problem. Keep you eye moist with artifical contact lens wetting solutions and artificial tears.

I have several 70 year old patients that wear contact lens.

JCH III MD  Ophthalmologist

Dear Doctor,

Thank you once again!

I wish the very best to you and your loved ones.

Sophia
Avatar n tn

I'm new to this site and have just made my first post. I'm -17D, but fortunately with no complications - I hope. I've got to the stage whereby I'm used to how I look, although I rarely, if ever, see people with glasses like mine.

Regards

Paul
If you've made peace with your glasses that's great. Your other options are contact lens, intraocular contact lens, lasik to reduce the thickness of the glasses and refractive lens exchange.

JCH II MD
Avatar n tn
I have similar condition -16.5 in both eyes and with 4.5 astigmatism. I am 26y old and with very active lifestyle. I play games a lot and always tried to takecare of myself by going to gym and other activities. As of now i am wearing soft contact lenses and work as a s/w Engineer in Boston. For the past few months i am noticing increase in floaters in my right eye, so i have taken an appointment with Dr. Tolentino at New England Hospital and will let you the results.

Though i am very used to wearing contact lenses but worried about wearing them for a long time, On an average i wear them from 8:30 AM and remove them at 10:00PM so i am bit worried will this create a problem in the long run.

Kris
Avatar n tn
Hi Sophia,
                 You are not alone...I was till 5 weeks ago about -20 (Incl -2 astigmatism) in both Eyes I have just had CLEAR lens surgery..in left Eye...rather than me detailing all here ...have a read of my posts and replies from very supportive surgeons and other members.

If you need any further info post here ..or send me a message and will try and answer your question as best i can.
Avatar n tn
    I have had similar prescription to yourself....and yes ...I wore soft contacts ...just as you are now and sometimes even longer...about 8 years back ...my optician did a through Eye test and found serious blood vessel growth...why?...due to excess Cotact lens wear...this is a VERY SERIOUS condition...if not attended to ...you can go blind.

To correct the problem I had to cut down wear to no more than 8 hrs /day....also when you change your lenses ...ask you optomerist to prescrbe High Oxygen content lenses ...basically the higher the content ..the more Oxygen alllowed to the Eye and will increase wear time.

If you really wish to wear for longer ...take out lenses for about an hour during the day ...than wear again...and you would be ok for a total of 12- 13 hrs for the day...but dont push it....Opticain can advice better..

But dont panic at moment it is unlikely you have this problem as you are 26...so maybe have very mildly if atall...but you MUST get optician to test for this....as i said  was wearing 14- 15 hrs a day and was diagnoosed when I was about 34...

Avatar n tn
Hi Sophia,
     I had cataract surgery on May 7. At the time of surgery I was a -22. in my right eye and no sight in my left due to detached retina in my early teens about 30 years ago. I struggled for more that 2 years with the decision until the cataract was really affecting my daily life. and it had gotten so dense that the dr could not see my retina very well at all anymore, which as you well know is vital for folks like us. I was referred to Dr Douglas Koch in Houston Tx . As of last Friday I have 20/40 vision with no correction and can now read without glasses or contacts for the very first time in my life. It is truyly amazing!! I am experiencing a whole new world. So far ther have been no problems and I pray every day that remains the case. I highly recommed Dr Koch. the entire experince was wonderful Everyone there was so helpful and understanding and just as excited after surgery as I was.

I wish you the best of luck
Karen
Avatar n tn
I am so happy for you. Thanks for sharing the info. I pray to god that u get better and happier day by day.

Kris
I read your post WoW!   I met Dr Koch about 8 years ago and was invited to be a patient at Grand Rounds at Baylor.  Of course, no one would recommend elective eye surgery for me.  I am -16.5--17.0 in my best eye and the other is legally blind amblyopic.  

At 55 years old with myopic macular degeneration and lattice,  and pvd's, getting the distance, mid, and near vision is a challenge.  I also have a cataract in the legally blind eye but the retina dr. doesn't want it removed due to the high possibility of retinal detachment.

I am so excited for you. I'm sure there was a great concern of retinal detachment with your cataract surgery.  Please let me know your progress. This is great news.

I live in Houston, Texas  Donna Parker
-
I am 23 and facing possible loss of vision i am -17.5 in both eyes and have a sigmitism, and have retinal scaring and tareing, i have undergone a porcedure called pan laser retinpoathy to seal the blood vessels that had burst and to also prevent new vestles from forming
Pan retinal photocoagulation is usually done for diabetic proliferative retinopathy that has nothing to do with high myopia. Myopic macular degeneration of the "wet" kind is generally treated with Avastin or Lucentis that is injected into the eye or the cold visudyne light therapy.

In any case you should be under the care of a retina Eye MD.

If you are not comfortable get a second opinion.

JCH MD
My doctor did the laser to seal the blood vessels, he is Dr. kenneth kesty. North Bay Ontario
Hopefully Dr. Kesty is a retina subspecilaist Eye MD.

You will need to get details from him.

JCHMD
Just feeling a bit overwhelmed as to how and where I should get started in this community.  If I ask any questions, I really don't even know where to begin.  I feel enlightened to know all the problems out there and what solutions you all have found -- I am amazed at what answers I find, as basically I think I am more chronically neurotic than the ultimate of visually impaired.

Though I will want answers, I would find the general community support even more life-affirming.

I am basically someone who started out about medium high myopic and high astigmatism also with amblyopia.  In only about three years or less I went from mild to very bothersome cataracts such that in a short amount of time I can now only correct my vision to 20/80 because of my cataracts, fear the possible complications of surgery and can't help wondering if there are other solutions besides instant surgery.  Especially when I can finally see with two pairs of eyeglasses put together -- though this compromises my near-vision.

There is one medical center in my area offering me free surgery, medical care, etc., but I don't want to compromise just to go to any institution or doctor I can pay for, as I really need the more specialized care for my eye disabilities that go beyond the usual.  It seems in California one has to be next to totally blind to be considered "disabled" enough for benefits.

Anali
Dear Anali,

I just got online and went straight to answering your post. First I'd like to say that I
have a very good idea of what your going through and I do wish you the very best of all possible outcomes. No doctor can give 100 % guarantees with any operation whatsoever
and patients in similar conditions can have different outcomes.

This said,I believe there are things patients can do to help set the odds in their favour. It is important to be informed about your condition. Doctor John C. Hagan has been very helpful to me and if you ask questions on either forum, busy as he is, he gives prompt and informative replies.I am very thankful for him.Learning about other people's experiences helps you understand practical things and brings up issues you  didn't even think of . You can type cataract surgery high myopia or simply just cataract in the upper right corner where it says search MedHelp. Although I've been dissappointed by a few
doctors, I haven't lost faith because I realize no doctor can know everything and some issues are so "complex" that different doctors have different views...

I am no doctor but the idea that I have about cataract surgery is that if you're not myopic
the risks of complications are pretty low. However, if you are myopic, there is an increased risk for retinal detachment which myopic people are already prone to.and cataract surgery should only be considered when vision is severely impaired. If this is your case ( and it will be mine one day, already have cataract...) you will probably need the surgery.

Please ask for Doctor's expert advice but I think the first thing you should do is get your retinas checked: Perhaps special action may be taken to prevent retinal detachment.
I don't know if people get both eyes done but if your scared get your worse eye done first and see how that goes.

Another important issue is the type of lens you get implanted and how well it will correct your vision and its important you should get informed about that. To help you understand these issues you can look up monofocal and multifocal lenses for example and I believe there are many, many experiences good and bad reported with all sorts of lenses on Medhelp's forums.

You may end up choosing to be operated in the place you referred but I thinhk its worth spending your money on the opinion of at least two specialists. Dr. Hagan may be able to reccomend one in your area.

Sorry for long post. I sincerely hope you get all the information and help you need and that things go really well for you.

Sophia

-
Dear Sophia,

As I am not yet used to navigating these group sites, I owe you an apology.  Naturally you were looking for my response to your very well-thought out heartfelt letter and I hope you found my response.  I finally figured out later that accidentally I sent my letter to you as a private message only when I wanted to post it here:  It somehow escaped me at that time I needed just to post this in the "Post Comment" section here rather than clicking on your user name.

Than you so much for your letter and, I am going to try to find my original response to you so I can then copy it and post it here.

Thanks so much for all your thoughtfulness!

Anali
Avatar n tn
I have a son that has -17 in right eye and a -19 in left eye. He has serious problems even with glasses seeing clearly. It is terrifying to even send him to school. I have spent a fortune on glasses and of course he gets picked on teased about his "coke bottle glasses." He really wants to go to contacts but his eye dr has been hesitant. Are there any daily contacts for children with severe myopia?? he also has a astigmatism. My son is 11 and every time we get a prescription it seems to be worse. I have trouble getting answers from the dr and I am extremely frustrated as is my child. I just want to know what he is going to have left for vision and what we can do to improve his vision health.

The doctors on this forum are prompt and attentive in their responses and will certainly
answer your  questions.

I would however like to give you my opinion about contact lenses. Don't really know
my prescription at the time but started to use RGB custom made contacts when I was 18. Besides myopia -22 and -17 I now  have a high degree of astigmatism and I'm assuming your son also has astigmatism.

I have used this type of contact lense for over 15 years and regrardless inevitable pathological myopia issues I am at least very happy with the way I chose to correct my vision. It is more difficult to get used to RGB's than soft (toric in your case) lenses but
afterwards you don't notice them at all and I am totally convinced they are better for good vision as well as eye health. I must add that I wish I had started using them sooner.
I recall I started using them for periods of time which were gradually extended and after
I think one week or so I used them all day.,

Please do get a professional opinion but I  believe your doctor is hesitating for two main
reasons:

1 - Your son's eye is still growing and even without myopia progression you will need to replace the contacts with a certain frequency to adapt to eye growth.

2 - He is young and will need to learn to handle the tiny lenses. I  was 18 and it was confusing to me how to handle some thing so tiny but I got used to it really fast and you
know if your son really wants it iIbelieve he will too.

In an attempt to give you more complete information I would like to add that for example his friends shouldn't touch his eyes because thes lenses " pop out " more
easily than soft ones. Another thing is that its not pleasant at all to get dust in your eye that gets behind the lens,  but you can move tthe lens carefully to the corner of your eye and get to somewhere where you can take it off ,wash it and problem solved.

Hope this helps, I certainly wish I had known a number of things years ago.

Hope you find the ideal solution for the well being of your sons eyes as well as his happiness.

Sophia

Hi you all good to know there are others out there with the same situation as yours truly. I am scheduled to have my good eye, or what used to be my good eye, operated on on Dec 15, 09 and it does concern me a lot, but ya know there are thousands of indivuals out there whom never had the chance to have had the qualty of life that I had thanks to technology. Ya see, (well maybe that's the wrong choice of words)I have -15.5 in my left eye and -18.5 in the other and have
cataract. I could take the risk, or go blind. There
isn't another option so I will go forward as best I can and should I go blind I'll join the blind community and that's the short of it! Iook at it this
way we have 3 choices here; we accept our situation, we remove ourselves (impossible), or we change the situation! It seems to me the only option is to change our situation and the only
thing we can change about our situation is how
we approach it! I say **** happens! I could live with the outcome! Many before did and many more after me will!
Oz
amen! **** happens....that's life. As long as you're alive then put a smile on your face and get on with living! :D
I have a 4 years old daughter who's been suffering from high myopia & strabismus. She started crossing her both eyes inward when she was 5 month old, since then she had 2 surgeries to correct her eyes. Sadly it didn't change now she crosses outward:( since she has hight myopia her vision changed from -7 to -12  her  right eye reached to -11 right & -12 on left eye. So we been changing her eyeglasses on & off. We went throught many good Drs in town but Doctors are keep saying if she will wear her eyeglasses her crossing might be corrected with out another surgery. As a mother who's worrying about her child I have contacted to many drs but none of them not giving me straight info what it can be done to correct this eye problems she has. I'm worried about her condition since she's only 4 years and going throughout this issues, I have no idea what will happen when she will be older. Hope to hear from someone reasonable answers what can be done.
Thank you.
I have a 4 years old daughter who's been suffering from high myopia & strabismus. She started crossing her both eyes inward when she was 5 month old, since then she had 2 surgeries to correct her eyes. Sadly it didn't change now she crosses outward:( since she has hight myopia her vision changed from -7 to -12  her  right eye reached to -11 right & -12 on left eye. So we been changing her eyeglasses on & off. We went throught many good Drs in town but Doctors are keep saying if she will wear her eyeglasses her crossing might be corrected with out another surgery. As a mother who's worrying about her child I have contacted to many drs but none of them not giving me straight info what it can be done to correct this eye problems she has. I'm worried about her condition since she's only 4 years and going throughout this issues, I have no idea what will happen when she will be older.
I have never met anyone else with a similar prescription to mine, except my father. I am 27 have -19.75 in right eye and -20 in left eye with a slight astigmatism. I started wearing contacts when I was 12 and agree with all of you that seeing with contacts in better then glasses. I started with the plastic non disposable lenses, they came in vials and you were screwed if you lost one. Once I got a little older, high school I believe I started wearing disposable soft contacts. I remember my dad wearing rigid gas permeable contacts, so glad I don't have to wear those.

I am schedule to go in for ICL (implantable collamer lens) surgery next week. Due to my high myopia this will not correct my vision 100%. So the will be doing IntraLasik a few weeks later to correct it all the way. I just want to know if anyone else has had this surgery. I am very nervous about and would love to hear some success stories. Thanks!
My daughter is now 5 years old.  At age one her prescription was a -19 and has steadily worsened.  We just went for a checkup this week and she is currently at a -28.25 in both eyes.  We are going back Monday to have her eyes checked while dialeted to make sure of the prescription before we order yet another new pair of glasses.  I have searched for 4 years trying to find an adult with her vision so they can tell me what she sees.  There has been a language barrier due to her profound hearing loss in both ears.  She does hear w/the use of hearing aids, but it has put her behind in speech.  She is a LOT better than she was and basically talks non-stop now, but the only thing I can get out of her is 'it's blurry.'  From what we've been told there is only about 2% of the population with her vision, which would make sense as to why I've never been able to find someone.  There's two things that makes it hard for me to understand.  One, I've never had glasses and two, she gets around just like any other child her age.  They keep telling me that she was born with it so that's basically the norm to her, but she absolutely amazes us which something new basically each day.  She definitley has the personality to overcome!!  

Now that you know a little history......
Is there ANYONE that HAS her vision or something close to that can answer some questions for me?  ANY help from someone that lives this would be GREATLY appreciated.  THANK YOU!!!!!
I'm glad to hear you're able to get the ACL procedure!  I went through testing for it last summer, but the cell count in my eyes was too low, so that had to be put on hold.  I'm 28 years old, with -21 in my left eye, -18 in my right with mid-range astigmatism and lattice degeneration in my left retina.  With contacts, I can see pretty well, but I can't get 20/20 vision in my glasses anymore.  I'm mostly hoping to be able to get some level of corrective surgery because I'm having issues with night vision, particularly when wearing my glasses.  My biggest fear is that my vision will continue to decrease at a faster rate than technology is increasing and there's always going to be some risk that prevents me from improving my vision.

I hope you report back when you have time to give an update on how you're doing!
I just found this forum today.  I'm 66 years old, luckily started wearing glasses at age 3, then hard contact lenses at 12 without any problem at all.  Switched to RGP's when they came out.  Tried disposables, but my eyes were always itchy with them, perhaps from the solution, and went back to the RGP's, which I still use.  

I had keratomelieusis in my worse eye in the 1990's, just to have some vision without wearing a lens, for emergencies.  I'm mixed about the result, as the astigmatism worsened.  However I can get around better as I have about 20/70 in that eye all the time.  Vision is about 20/30 minus in the other eye when I am wearing the lens.  I am considering another  surgical option in the unknown future, depending on options available.

Prior to the surgery, correction was in the mid-upper teens bilaterally.

I feel it was important that I got my lenses  when I was young, as I had a more normal social life.
Avatar n tn
Have you tried alternative methods like natural vision improvement programs . Dr.Willam Bates method.
Hi, My son is 15 years old and have a  Myopia. -7 in both eyes. Doctor suggested to make operation, because he had -5 2 years ago. What do you suggest?
Thank you in advance
Avatar n tn

My advice is to try Natural vision improvement . Please refer Dr.William Bates method.

Regards
Ramesh
My Daughter suffered from an injury while in the  NICU and now has Extreme myopia at only 1 year  of age.  (we are told it will get worse) Her eye's are normal other than the myopia and her retina never detached... What can we do for her? Are there any options to reduce the chance of her myopia continuing to progress? She wears glasses (-18.00 in her left and -11.5 in her right eye) to help, but I am very concerned for her longterm prognosis.  Any feedback or referrals on who to see would be welcome! Thank you!
Dear Doc,
I have a high myopia of -11 d and i m just turning 18 so i m concerned that with growing ages my myopia will get worse n i was told that my retina is in risk of tearing so im seeking supportive response n advice for my treatment what should i do?And please help...
Hi Mander81,

I am 49.  My vision is around -32 or even worse (last time checked was -27 which was over 6 years ago and it deteriorates about -1 per year.)  Started to wear glasses at 10 after my parents notices that I can not read prices at shops.

To answer your question about your daughter, at that degree of myopia, you hardly see anything beyond 5 cms from eyes.  Everything is blurred. It is amazing that your daughter is getting around without them.  Watch her and make sure the space is safe for her.

I used glasses till 24 and then switched to soft lenses (I think it was - 14). Switched to RGB lenses at 38.  With age, other complications start to appear.  I has a surgery two years ago to treat blood vessels leak (may be was due to over-strain in a heated exchange of words and shouted on my staff).  Floaters are getting much in the way.  Loss of the effective cells in the retina causes patch y vision (where parts of the pictures are lost).

I was looking for a forum with such topic as this one for a long time and was reading all the posts here,and found yours which is of very importance to my concerns.
I am - 22 and wear contacts with -20,working ok for me so far,but at night I am not as comfortable as before..for years I was looking to do the IOL surgery and after a long denial I decided to go with it.So I had all the exams and they told me I will get -20 since they do not have stronger power,also they wormed me about all the possible complications related with the surgery.
Then we scheduled the surgery and today the doctor's assistance called me to cancel the surgery which was supposed to happen in July(now is January)because the supposed lens happened to be a bad one and they will not have it in use anymore...I asked if the doctor was afraid to perform the surgery on me because of my conditions and high myopia,but she said..Nooo,it is the bad lens,and it was the 'special'one,customized just for people like me:(
I am kind of relieved,but feel like my dream will never come true:(
Hello, I had been wearing contacts for 34 years since the age of 10. Depends on your child how he handles the whole thing. Occasionally I had some issues but in general nothing to worry about. I had been wearing them since I got out of bed until I went to sleep at night. Never wore glasses (teasing at school etc) then at this magnitude of myopia you cannot see properly with glasses. I was wearing -18 until I had the cataract surgery last year and there is no need to wear them any more. At 44 it is strange not seeing the lense case and the solutions in my bathroom any more....:) .
my son is 2.2 years old , since almost a year he started to see things from very very close which i thought is not a major concern but recently i took him to an ophthalmologist and found out that he has -21 myopia and also has bluish sclera, doctor has suggested glasses for him and also referred to a paediatrician for a possible connective tissue disorder . kindly suggest how to go about it and will he be ok?
I'm 36 and my vision is -23 left & -24 right. I've been wearing glasses since first grade, which is when my vision problem was identified.  I wore glasses until 7th grade because they really limited my field of vision. Since I wear my contacts from 5:30am- 10pm, I changed to gas permeable at 25 yrs old to avoid complications with my cornea since the soft lenses were so thick and were preventing enough oxygen from reaching my corneas.  My vision has worsened by -10 in the past 15 years and has yet to slow down. Some years I skip an entire diopter and others .5. I had my first hemorrhage 6 years ago and received avastin in my left eye. Treatment lasted about a year (1 injection/4 wks), and then my right eye hemorrhaged. I've lost most vision in my right eye than my left and haven't gone more than 3 months without an injection. Avastin stopped working for me after 1 yr of treatment so I was switched to lucentis. It is far more expensive for a lucentis injection than avastin ($5,000/injection).  Lucentis seems to be working for me and has restored some of my vision in my right eye and most in my left. I have heard of the lens implant and my doctor advised against it since I might need cataract surgery at some point.  As annoying and scary as it is to wake up and not see, I'd rather not get a surgery until it is completely necessary. I see Dr. Decker @ the Texas Eye Institute in Houston.  

Having vision this bad requires my husband to adapt to my needs. Things around our home aren't moved around otherwise I won't be able to find them. I cannot see faces without my contacts or objects farther than 5 cm from my eyes. Large print helps me because some of my vision is distorted due to the hemorrhages.  My other senses are heightened and I'm very sensitive to very loud places or people who wear very strong perfumes, deodorant, etc.  I've haven't felt "disabled" until someone's made fun of me or picked on me... Yes, it happens even at my age.  I wish Sophia and the mother with the baby with bad vision the absolute best. There are foundations that will help people like us be as independent as possible regardless of our circumstances.

Please always consult a retina specialist or an ophthalmologist to help you with your questions. My optometrist, family doctor, or pediatrician weren't trained to help me.
I'm sorry for your difficulties with high myopia-induced retina bleeding.  

In case it could help your situation, I wanted to mention to you a new drug being developed to help patients who develop resistance to anti-VEGF drugs like Avastin and Lucentis.  My ophthalmologist mentioned it to me recently as his practice is participating in the clinical trial for the new product, brand named Fovista.

Here's a link to one very technical article about the research being done on this product.  They are testing a combination of this therapy together with traditional anti-VEGF agents.  The article describes a patient benefit with the combination therapy vs monotherapy with Avastin-type drugs alone.

http://bmctoday.net/retinatoday/2013/03/article.asp?f=anti-pdgf-combination-therapy-in-neovascular-age-related-macular-degeneration-results-of-a-phase-2b-study

Fovista is in a class of injectable drugs called 'anti-PDGF' and my doctor told me it is supposed to work slightly differently than anti-VEGF drugs.  The goal of this medication, he described, is to target the cells at the very tip of the new blood vessel growth, to stunt them and prevent them from growing.  It can apparently help patients who have developed a resistance to traditional anti-VEGF drugs.

The trials are being done in patients with wet AMD, I think, which is a a different disorder in which there is abnormal blood vessel growth in the retina.  The cause of blood vessel growth in wet AMD is not the same as retinal bleeding and blood vessel growth due to complications of high myopia, so I don't know if it would benefit patients like us.

But you might ask your retina specialist about it, and do some research yourself to see if you might benefit from this medication, and if so whether you could access a clinical trial to obtain it.  Good luck!
can anyone tell me the treatment of a myopia of about -10.25 rite and -10.75 left plz??
I do not know if you got the help you needed. I am 21 with -37 eyes. I too have cateracts and all the attached problems.  I also have stickler syndrome.  I am beyond worried about the future.  I've been to university and I have a job.  I worry about my cateracts stopping me.
Hello
I am 24 years old girl my current prescription is -16 and -17 with astigma of 4 and 3.Four years back when I tested my eyes my prescription was -14 and -14.5 at that point in time i thought my prescription might have stabilized but two weeks back when I tested my eyes I got my new prescription. My doctor said my eye is still healthy and the pressure is also normal but I am concerned that my profession is of an Equity analyst where I have to work on computer... so will my profession still cause my myopia to progress.Further there have been some slight thread like floaters in my vision recently is this a cause of worry for me(they usually appear when I look at sky or white surface) ?And also at what age problems like retinal detachment or related can occur in my case?
I am an Indian and I think there is hardly anything to help people like me here.
Hi Jkfer,

Finally, Did you had a IOL surgery. Can you let me know?
I am based India. I have myopia since age 7 and wearing glasses so far. From past 5 years I been using contact lenses and at present my Left eye is 19 and 12 in right eye. Doctor prefers IOL Surgery. I am ready to do that but what are the risks in future after IOL surgery. Does the Eye sight continue growing or will it stop. I am a Recruiter most of my job will be on Computer and thats the only one job I can do.
Is that myopia you have. Have you gone into any surgery like IOL, ICL etc.
I have high myopia. -9 in both eyes. I also have astigmatism. Right now I wear toric soft contact lens.
I'm concerned they don't make toric soft contact lens if my myopia gets worse.
Does anyone wear toric soft contact lens with a power greater than -10?
Please help.
Thank you.
Do they make toric soft contact lenses with power greater than -10?
Please help.
Thank you.
Yes they do make soft toric contact lens to -20 (hydrosoft by cooper). I wear -13 so I've got a ways to go b4 not able to get toric lens anymore.
HI,
   Im 35 years old having a high myopia ( -24 in both eyes) since i was as young as 10 years old .I have done a cataract in my left eye last year.. but still uncomfortable in reading.As im a teacher by profession im worried of the future. i have also done laser for deattached retina. doctors says that my retina is very weak. in my last 24 years i shifted from spectacles to RgP lenses n then to soft contact lenses. now have to do catarct in one eye through which i can read n the one which i have done cataract im unable to read. Im  using reading glasses but very uncomfortable. Can any one suggest should i go for cataract in other eye N any other reccomendations.......................
Read this article and the discussions. It will give you information to determine your best option:

http://www.medhelp.org/user_journals/show/841991/Consider-ALL-the-Options-Before-Your-Cataract-Surgery-Working-Through-Whats-Best-For-You  ;

JCH MD
What sort of IOL did you get in the first eye, is it likely a monofocal IOL which was likely set for distance and usually wouldn't give much near vision? There are premium lenses that can provide better near vision in addition to good distance vision, though in most places you need to personally pay more for them, they don't tend to be covered by insurance or government programs. It may be that in some countries there is coverage for them, you'd need to check.  There is unfortunately no perfect lens, there are some tradeoffs with each of them,  it depends on your needs (and budget) which one is right for your situation.

I see that your profile indicates you are in India. Although I haven't read through all of the discussion on the link Dr. Hagan kindly provided, I will note that  he is based in the US and here we have fewer premium IOL choices than in much of the rest of the world. So some of the discussion may likely not bring up options you have in India. I know the new Symfony lens is available there now and I suspect you likely have access to trifocal lenses as well (there are only bifocals in the US) and perhaps the Light Adjustable Lens (which may allow the refractive target to be hit more precisely, which can be a problem in highly myopic people, and which also has variations being tested some places to provide multifocal or extended depth of focus patterns).

You need to determine which visual ranges are most important to you, between distance, intermediate and near, since there is no perfect solution for all three in one lens (the trifocals  try for all 3 and have decent intermediate, but not as good as other options, and intermediate range is often used for computers and for social interaction and household tasks). You may need correction for some distance (especially assuming you have a monofocal in the first eye), so you need to decide if so then which distance you'd prefer to need correction for. e.g. some might  need correction for reading if you do it alot, but don't mind correction for distance for driving.  Others might prefer to not need correction for driving but not mind it for reading.

The trifocals tend to have lower risk of halo and glare than the older bifocals that have been used in the US (though there are now low add bifocals in the US that may be comparable), but still likely higher risk  than a monofocal. The trifocals give better intermediate vision than   high add bifocals, while still having good near vision. The low add bifocals may give decent intermediate vision (especially the even lower add bifocals available outside the US), perhaps better than a trifocal depending on the add, but not not as good near as a trifocal or high add bifocal.

The Symfony has good distance and intermediate vision (better than trifocals) but not quite as good very near as a trifocal. Any lens, even a monofocal has some risk of glare&halo issues. The Symfony is reported in studies to have comparable risk to a monofocal for issues with glare&halo, which still means that some will have glare&halo issues, but they may have had the same issues if they had received  a monofocal instead.   People posting to the net tend to be the minority that have issues, so you can't tell by the posts how frequent a problem is, you need to rely on the results of studies. I got the Symfony rather than a trifocal since good intermediate vision was more important than good near, and due to the lower risk of visual artifacts like halos. To  me the only reason not to consider the Symfony rather than a monofocal is if the cost is an issue, or if you want to be very cautious since the Symfony has only been out on the market a bit over a year so its possible larger studies will find issues the initial ones missed. (there are a number of small studies by now though, and the lens is the same material and overall shape as the widely used Tecnis monofocals&multifocals that have been out for a number of years).

You can use a bit of monovision with the Symfony or a monofocal to give better near vision.

If you do have a monofocal in your first eye, you could consider adding a corneal inlay to get better near vision in that eye if they are approved there. Cornea inlays are  placed just under the surface of your eye in a procedure that should be lower risk than something like cataract surgery, and is usually reversible if you don't like it.  The Kamra inlay and the Raindrop inlay tend to be the most widely approved and used inlays at the moment, I don't know what is available there however. Although they are usually used to give better near vision for people with presbyopia, they have also been tested with people with monofocal IOLs to give them better near vision. The results I've seen suggest the Raindrop may be a better bet since it reduces contrast sensitivity less, i.e. it may have better low light vision, but its best to confirm that.

Worst case it is also usually possible to replace the monofocal lens you already received, but as with the initial surgery that does involve risks, and it depends on the state of your eye what lens options are available. For instance if you had a YAG procedure for PCO, usually a replacement lens can't be placed into the capsular bag so you can't use some lenses like the Symfony or trifocals, but there are multifocal options that are available for placement outside the bag.
Oops, I wish they'd let you edit posts. Obviously when talking about what distance you'd prefer glasses for, I meant to give two different examples. Some may prefer glasses for reading but not for distance to drive, others may prefer glasses for driving but not for reading.
=
In my huge desperation and despair after every single visit to any Eye doctor,either it was my retina doctor or optician I need few day before each appointment to start mentally preparing myself and then comes disappointment and despair that I have to overcome after those exams.
I am so glad I found all of you,for I never ever had a talk with somebody who is even close to my condition.
I read lots of stories and completely understand,perhaps I will share my whole story next time.But today,I need to ask you all with high prescriptions where do you get yoursoft contacts from and what kind are they?
It seams like the once I had for years now and unfortunately they were the only once to provide so so vision clarity and comfortability,are now discontinued.My optician found some other once but they are not even close to my old once with comfortability and vision clarity:(
I am so sad and can not explain how I feel about this.
Thank you
Sorry,I did not get back earlier.I had not a surgery.There are risks,and they worn you about them.My doctor told me that the implantable contact lens custom made for my case somehow was not a good option and was discontinued from use.I could not understand that,but that is how it went.
How did you do,did you go to get a surgery and what was the outcome?
Take care you all and good luck.
=
Hi, I´m 54 with late onset high myopia and astigmatism. Starting at 32 on 3 diopters. My last exam gave -38 D and -4 D astigmatism. Wearing double lenticulars and scleral RGPs. Fortunately no other problems.
Did you mean your RX is -38 and 4 diopters of astigmatism. If this started at 32 its likely you have corneal disease, likely keratoconus rather than high myopia.  
No corneal problem and luckily no keratoconus. Just very high late onset myopia and very narrow visual field due to 20 mm lenticular bowl.
Something is not right. It is almost impossible for you to have myopia of -38 (you don't mean -3.8 do you?) and 4 diopters of astimatism. If its not an abnormal cornea (most common) then you may have a dislocating lens or other lens abnormality. You would see the best corena/refractive surgeon you can get to for a second opinion and also discuss "refractive lens exchange"  Taking the lens of your eye out and putting in IOL to get read of that incapacitating  myopia.  There is something elese going on besides "late onset high myopia.
What is your RX on the other eye. What is you vision in each eye with correction?
hello doctor i am megha 21 year old and persuing studies in computer science. I wear myopic glasses of -17.5 left and-18 of ryt eye. my number is not stable till now and some doctors says that with this much high power laser and operation is not possible. I have visited many places and i am tired as i clearly want to know what the upcoming scenario of my eye is. My parents want me to emphasis least in my field and i am madly intrested in computer programming i dont know what to do plz plz you guide me and show me the correct path plz,i shall be waiting for your reply sir plz look out my problem as soon as possible and mail me the optimum solution of this problem plz
First of all follow your heart's desire and if computer programming is where your interest and skills lead you go for it and don't worry about it damaging your eyes.  You have high myopia. It's not possible to look at your age and glasses RX and tell you how much, if any, your myopia will progress. I'm hoping with your glasses your vision is 20/20 (6/6 metric) or close to it. I'm also hoping that you have not been told you have any myopic macular degeneration.  There is at present in extraocular (outside the eye) refractive surgery that would correct all your myopia.  Depending on the thickness of your cornea surface lasik might reduce 6-9 diopters of myopia.  An ICL (intraocular collamer lens) could correct all your myopia but it involves surgery within the eye with its associated risks and recent studies have identified a significant risk of subsequent cataracts (often requiring surgery) and possibly glaucoma. There is also what is called refractive lens exchange which involves removing your natural lens and putting in an intraocular lens (IOL) this also involves risks including increased of retinal detachment.  I'm wondering if you wear contact lens at present as the vision with contact lens is going to be much better than glasses since the image with contacts is much larger than with your strong glasses.  So there is no perfect solution to your high myopia nor anyway to predict what will happen to your eyes in the future. HOWEVER high myopes that go into law, or medicine or computer programing which involves a lot of reading and computer use do not end up with much worse vision than high myopes that do manual labor and do not do much near work at all.  Best of luck.  
When I was in school for computer science I recall someone in the year ahead of me who had glasses with attachments on them that seemed almost like a telescope (its been a few decades so my memory is vague), I don't know what his visual issues were (again my memory of it is vague), but despite obviously having some impairment he was able to get through one of the top CS programs.

If you are able to work with computers now then there likely isn't going to be any problem (aside from as the doctor noted any other eye health issues that might arise, but most of them are treatable these days and leave you with some vision).  As long as you have the ability to see at all there is likely a way to work with computers (and in the extremely unlikely case you someday couldn't see, even blind people do work with them, though I've never run across any so I don't have a sense of the scope of what they can do, I suspect the tools for them to use computers are getting better all the time).

These days the  nice thing about the computer world is that if needed you can get high resolution computer monitors and adjust print sizes and position the monitor as close or far as needed, and scroll the view on the screen around, and therefore as long as you have some workable vision you should be able to function. (as long as  you get things adjusted well to reduce any vision issue induced headaches, since headaches can reduce concentration, as I had to deal with after a rare side effect from cataract surgery caused issues with flickering light when reading).
I should note that of course I was talking about the "worst case" scenarios, since high myopes do have some slight increased risk of other eye health issues compared to the average person, but that still means most don't have any problem aside from being myopic. The odds are that with correction your vision will remain comparable to other people's vision. As the doctor noted, there are ways to perhaps reduce your myopia surgically via laser or lens implants. Other high myopes cope with a combination of contacts and/or glasses. My point was merely that visual problems don't tend to keep people from working with computers.
=
I've always thought my vision is extremely bad, but compared to some of the other posts here, looks like my eyes are fairly okay.
Anyway, I'm OS: -5.50/No Cyl =and= OD: -5.25/ -0.25@90 (Spectacles).
Both eyes: -5.00/No cyl (For contacts).
Every time I go to my doctor, he's more interested in the health of my corneas and doesn't even look at the retina. I get an autorefractor test, then a tune-up with trial lenses, followed by a slit-lamp test (which I'm assuming is for the cornea, as a cycloplegic eye drop is not used prior to the test and my pupils must constrict too much under the super bright illumination to allow a good view of the internals).
Last time I saw him, I  specifically asked him to take a look at my retina, he said it's not required, you have 20/20 with correction and you're not at risk.
I feel awkward trying to argue with a doctor, of course he knows way more than I do, but something tells me it's not right- my correction might not be as high as that of some people here, but they're still fairly high. What do you think, should I go for a second opinion?

I've seen this SAME doctor all my life, and I'm 32 years old now!

Another question, I use B&L monthly disposable soft lenses (not toric) made of Hylafilcon-B (59%water) for 12 hours a day, 6 days a week. My doctor says it's okay, but these are NOT silicone-hydrogels, these are ordinary lenses. Am I damaging my eyes by wearing them 12 hours a day? I never go more than 12 hours, always take a day off every week, and never sleep in them (as suggested by my doc.)

Please suggest.
I would find a new doctor. That is truly one of the worst responses from a doctor ever posted here (you don't need the back of your eye checked because you are not at risk).  Find a new optometrist or ophthalmologist that will yearly dilate your eyes and look at your retina.

Your high myopia increases the risk of retina tears, detachments, holes, lattice, myopic macular degeneration and glaucoma.
JCH MD
I just got meself some GP lenses. Seem to be the best and cheapest option with least risk unless you box. . .!  These are readers and general purpose.  Using additional specs for driving which works well .  my prescription is above minus 20 and Im in my late 60,s.

Tried wearing my old prescription specs, with my additional specs perched in front.

Suffice to say the result was beyond my wildest dreams and way way beyond my optemitrists ability to achieve.  But it doesnt look cool.  Most assuredly not cool at all

Do I care?  Haha
I am 28 yrs old, f. I started wearing glasses in 2nd grade. Wore soft contacts from 7th grade to today. I'm -15d and this week I was turned down for icl bc there is not enough space in my eye for the lens bc I have a thick cornea. The surgeon said not to get laser surgery bc my vision would not be clear afterwards. I have oxygen deprivation  from long term contact use and the last year I've cut down my wear time to average 6 hours a day and I try to break that up. I've never tried gas perm lenses, I don't know what else is out there. Last year I had my glasses updated, but I still habe blurry vision even up close. I'm very frustrated and looking for support. I'm a busy mom with 2 kids and I want to see!
I would suggest you get a consultation at Emory U Dept of ophthalmology with one of the cornea/refractive surgeons.  The Eye MD there could confirm you are not a candidate for ICL.  With your thick cornea the surgeon could estimate how much of your myopia might be corrected with surface LASIK perhaps 8 or 9 diopters. That would make your glasses RX -7 or -6    You could ask about GP CTL but they let less oxygen through than soft and likely you could not wear them.  You can ask about daily disposable soft contacts. That might allow you to wear them longer than 6 hours.  Lastly you could ask about "refractive lens exchange" or "clear lens extraction"  Its basically doing an cataract operation and putting in an intraocular lens in a lens that doesn't have a cataract. The primary risk is that in everyone that increases the risk of a retinal detachment. In the general population the risk is low maybe one in 3-5,000  In your case the risk even with an uncomplicated case might be as high as 5-8%. Be sure your children are checked regularly as high myopia is frequently hereditary.
You say you still have blurry vision even up close. Does that mean even with correction your vision isn't 20/20, if so do you know what your "best corrected" vision is? Has the doctor given you a reason for this, have you got some other eye health issue that might impact what treatment you get for your myopia?  I'm wondering if it might be as simple as having some astigmatism and wearing contact lenses that don't correct for it (I don't know if toric astigmatism correcting lenses are available off the shelf for someone that myopic).

The comment about oxygen deprivation from long term contact use is odd with modern soft contacts. Although the doctor mentioned daily disposable contacts, I'm not sure if they come in such a high power (I don't recall seeing the option a couple of years ago when I temporarily had one eye that was -19D, a drastic -10D shift due to a cataract before surgery). However if your eye were partly corrected via laser, as the doctor suggested as one option, that would leave your eyes well within the power of many off the shelf contact lens brands including daily disposables. I don't know how their oxygen permeability compares to  lenses that are designed for extended wear (though you don't need to wear them them as extended wear) that presumably focus on providing more oxygen. (I'd read about the topic a few years ago, but it escapes me offhand).

I'll add that one important side effect of a "refractive lens exchange" that the doctor suggested is that although it is possible it might  provide you with great distance vision, your near&intermediate vision would be impacted. Its usually an option more commonly suggested for those who are a couple of decades older than you who already have presbyopia. Given your high level of myopia and limited other options,  it may be something you'd wish to consider, but I just figured I'd mention that there are tradeoffs to considering it in someone as young as you are.

Most cataract patients are old enough that they are familiar with the issue since they have some degree of presbyopia,   the reduction in your near vision that starts to  become apparent among those in their early-mid 40s or so which leaves older people needing reading glasses more and more (or progressive glasses or multifocal contacts or monovision contacts).  There are approaches to "refractive lens exchange" that try to provide better intermediate&near vision, such as monovision or premium lenses, but no option is yet perfect and surgeons differ in what the best approach to dealing with the loss of near vision is. In my case with the Symfony lens (not available yet in the US) I can even read my smartphone without a problem, but I definitely don't have the level of near vision I had at 28, e.g. I'd need readers to thread a needle (not that the situation arises much, for most things except very near tasks my visual acuity is good enough).
=
Thank you Dr. I've only seen one surgeon, but he told me not to let anyone laser my eyes bc I would not have clear vision afterwards. He did not go into any other detail besides that. At this point I would love to just have it improved evenif it doesn't conpketeky correct. I would continue to wear contacts as long as it was healthy for my eyes. I know one day I will have cataracts and will be having the clear lens procedure anyway, but I wondered if he was not willing to do it bc aside from my myopia my lens is ok and it would risk a detachment at a young age. Trying to balance quality of life with my vision with what the true likelihood of a detachment would be. Is Emory the best of the best? I've only ever seen a retina specialist from my pvd 3 years ago and a regular eye dr yearly, so my knowledge of specialties is low. Thank you
I' was never given a reason. Over the years I had old glasses rx just to get me by around the house when I got home. This year cutting down my contact use I updated them. With contacts I can see 20/20 but the glasses rx I have not been able to. I told the guy that when I wore them a few days and he told me I would not have as sharp vision with glasses as I do contacts. I've been doing this 14 years and I realize that but my vision is way worse in these glasses. He "fixed" them and it did not resolve the problem so I decided not to go back to that office this year.
Its good your vision is 20/20 correctible with contacts, it wasn't clear from your post whether  that was the case.

I wasn't as myopic as you (perhaps -6D and -9.5D before the cataract hit) but I always found contact lenses gave me better vision, I rarely wore glasses unless I had to due to allergies causing problems with contacts at times (GPC issues). If I'd had to abandon contacts I'd have likely been hunting for options as you are.  It may be that clear lens exchange is something to consider, but one tradeoff is that the longer you wait, the better replacement lenses will become. Eventually they'll be able to provide a lens comparable to that of a natural 19 year old lens, they just aren't there yet, the question is whether the current lenses are "good enough" to be worth it for you, or whether to wait a bit longer for a new generation of improved lenses.

I should add that usually it is possible to replace IOLs in the future, even if it adds risks&cost just like the original surgery, but the risks and costs will come down over time. It may be that in a decade I'll decide its worth it to upgrade to a new generation IOL.

You know I don't think there is any "best of the best" when it comes to Medicine and Surgery.  Emory is ranked in the top 10 Ophthalmology Departments in the Country and is strong in refractive surgery and retina.

If you have only seen a retina Eye MD and your "regular eye doctor" then you have not really even scratched the surface of what is possible. You should definitely see a top quality cornea/refractive Surgeon.

JCH MD
Thank you! Yes I'm going to investigate my options at Emory. Is there a particular person there you would suggest?
John Kim, MD
J. Bradley Randleman, MD

Cornea/Cataract/Refractive surgeons at Emory U Dept of Ophthalmology