Eye Care Community
High Myopia - Is there anybody out there?

This patient support community is for discussions relating to eye care, cataracts, glaucoma, retinal detachment, eye infections, misaligned eyes, intra-ocular implants, refractive surgery (LASIK and CK), glasses, contact lenses, amblyopia, eye injuries, dry eyes, ocular allergy, eye pain and discomfort, pediatric eye disorders, eyelid and tearduct surgery, poor eyesight, and eye surgery.

Hi everyone.

I'm 35,with  really high myopia ( -17 in left eye and -22 in right eye)astigmatism  and cataract in right eye not impairing sight. Use rigid gas permeable contacts and get along "fine".

Have had gas bubble in left eye and laser in both for retinal tears/holes.
The only procedure I'm considering is IOL when absolutely necessary.

I've never heard of anyone with myopia this high. i'm really worried about future prospects.

I know people with similar conditions can have different outcomes but can anyone with high myopia ( even if not like mine) please give any input or useful information?

Many thanks.

Wishing you all the best,
Sophia

Hi sophia. I don't know what sort of information you're looking for but as a fellow person with a high degree of myopia I know that you're worried about what may happen later on. From some of the research that I've done and from talking with my doctors I know that people with myopia are at a greater risk for developing retinal tears, glaucoma and other eye problems so it is best to make and keep yearly eye exams.

As a 23 year old having been born with ROP (retinopathy of prematurity) I have recently undergone four surgeries to try and correct a recurring detached retina in what was my better eye. Also, I do have an IOL which was put in at the same time I was udergoing my second surgery. It is frustrating and frightening to think what may happen as I get older, since I am down to the use of only one eye.

Make sure you know all the risks of cataract surgery before you go through with it.  It may cause a detached retina.

Dear berrywoo,

Thank you for your reply. I do wish you the very best possible outcome.
I have done some research and continue doing so perhaps in search of some kind of
miracle...
Maybe its silly but sometimes just exchanging whatever sort of information with other people helps.
I even read about "electronic eyes" which have already been proven to work but still don't have
much resolution and I suppose aren't marketable yet...
For now I do get my retinas checked regularly. I try not to overdo computer use and close work and
rest my eyes every 15 or 30 minutes when I do so. I also try to not overdo certain physical activities.
Even if it doesn't help, in recommended amounts it won't hurt so I take vitamin and mineral  
supplement comtaining luthein(?) and zeaxantine (?) as well as salmon oil  which contains omega 3
( EPA and DHA).
Wishing you and everyone the best, Sophia
By the way, thank you.
I am aware of the risks of cataract surgery and will only have this procedure when it is absolutely
necessary.Glaucoma also scares me and if those "electronic eyes" ever really  become available they will be of no help to people with their optic nerve impaired.
I even tried searching homeopathic alternatives but found no answers...
I guess at least we have hope and making the most of what we have!
If you are successful at wearing your hard contact lenses I would advise you  to continue to do that.  The only possible surgical option is called a phakic implant and they only come in a power as high as about -17 so you could consider it in your right eye.  That would give you the freedom of seeing when you wake up in the middle of the night. You could continue to wear the hard lens in your left eye. You can find more information about phakic implants and sugeons in your area by doing a google search on STAAR Visian lens implant or AMO Verisaye lens implant. Do not consider a procedure called clear lensectomy where your lens is removed and replaced as that dramatically increases the risks to your already fragile retinas
Dear Doctor/Doctors,

Thank you for your reply! Have been away from computer. What I´'ve decided for now is to use the
RGP contacts for as long as I can. With -17 ( left eye) and -22 I really don't have good vision with
glasses ( aesthetics aside).I just hope the cataract in my right eye takes a long time to develop
enough to impair my vision or require surgery. At that time I will have no other choice but to get non
phakic IOLs. By the way does the power I require limit my choices in any way ? I have astigmatism
as well though I don't know how much exactly.

Are there specific measures or products you can advise to help my corneas tolerate lenses as
long as possible?

Thank you in advance for yor attention.

Wishing everyone the best,
Sophia
No your high myopia will likely not limit your IOL (intraocular lens) choices. Remember that the technology for IOLs changes very fast and the IOLs used in 2-3 years will be different that those now (better for one or the other reason).  In some instances now with very high power TWO IOLs are put in the eye (piggy-back IOLs).

To maintain your contact lens tolerance have your contact lens and eyes checked at least annually (every 6 months would be better), replace them yearly (ridgid gas permeable contacts don't last much longer than soft CTL and not nearly as long as the very old fashion hard plastic contact lens. Consider removing your contact lens and wearing you glasses in the evening when you're "in for the night". That may not work for you but if it doesn't no problem. Keep you eye moist with artifical contact lens wetting solutions and artificial tears.

I have several 70 year old patients that wear contact lens.

JCH III MD  Ophthalmologist

Dear Doctor,

Thank you once again!

I wish the very best to you and your loved ones.

Sophia

I'm new to this site and have just made my first post. I'm -17D, but fortunately with no complications - I hope. I've got to the stage whereby I'm used to how I look, although I rarely, if ever, see people with glasses like mine.

Regards

Paul
If you've made peace with your glasses that's great. Your other options are contact lens, intraocular contact lens, lasik to reduce the thickness of the glasses and refractive lens exchange.

JCH II MD
I have similar condition -16.5 in both eyes and with 4.5 astigmatism. I am 26y old and with very active lifestyle. I play games a lot and always tried to takecare of myself by going to gym and other activities. As of now i am wearing soft contact lenses and work as a s/w Engineer in Boston. For the past few months i am noticing increase in floaters in my right eye, so i have taken an appointment with Dr. Tolentino at New England Hospital and will let you the results.

Though i am very used to wearing contact lenses but worried about wearing them for a long time, On an average i wear them from 8:30 AM and remove them at 10:00PM so i am bit worried will this create a problem in the long run.

Kris
Hi Sophia,
                 You are not alone...I was till 5 weeks ago about -20 (Incl -2 astigmatism) in both Eyes I have just had CLEAR lens surgery..in left Eye...rather than me detailing all here ...have a read of my posts and replies from very supportive surgeons and other members.

If you need any further info post here ..or send me a message and will try and answer your question as best i can.
    I have had similar prescription to yourself....and yes ...I wore soft contacts ...just as you are now and sometimes even longer...about 8 years back ...my optician did a through Eye test and found serious blood vessel growth...why?...due to excess Cotact lens wear...this is a VERY SERIOUS condition...if not attended to ...you can go blind.

To correct the problem I had to cut down wear to no more than 8 hrs /day....also when you change your lenses ...ask you optomerist to prescrbe High Oxygen content lenses ...basically the higher the content ..the more Oxygen alllowed to the Eye and will increase wear time.

If you really wish to wear for longer ...take out lenses for about an hour during the day ...than wear again...and you would be ok for a total of 12- 13 hrs for the day...but dont push it....Opticain can advice better..

But dont panic at moment it is unlikely you have this problem as you are 26...so maybe have very mildly if atall...but you MUST get optician to test for this....as i said  was wearing 14- 15 hrs a day and was diagnoosed when I was about 34...

Hi Sophia,
     I had cataract surgery on May 7. At the time of surgery I was a -22. in my right eye and no sight in my left due to detached retina in my early teens about 30 years ago. I struggled for more that 2 years with the decision until the cataract was really affecting my daily life. and it had gotten so dense that the dr could not see my retina very well at all anymore, which as you well know is vital for folks like us. I was referred to Dr Douglas Koch in Houston Tx . As of last Friday I have 20/40 vision with no correction and can now read without glasses or contacts for the very first time in my life. It is truyly amazing!! I am experiencing a whole new world. So far ther have been no problems and I pray every day that remains the case. I highly recommed Dr Koch. the entire experince was wonderful Everyone there was so helpful and understanding and just as excited after surgery as I was.

I wish you the best of luck
Karen
I am so happy for you. Thanks for sharing the info. I pray to god that u get better and happier day by day.

Kris
I read your post WoW!   I met Dr Koch about 8 years ago and was invited to be a patient at Grand Rounds at Baylor.  Of course, no one would recommend elective eye surgery for me.  I am -16.5--17.0 in my best eye and the other is legally blind amblyopic.  

At 55 years old with myopic macular degeneration and lattice,  and pvd's, getting the distance, mid, and near vision is a challenge.  I also have a cataract in the legally blind eye but the retina dr. doesn't want it removed due to the high possibility of retinal detachment.

I am so excited for you. I'm sure there was a great concern of retinal detachment with your cataract surgery.  Please let me know your progress. This is great news.

I live in Houston, Texas  Donna Parker
-
I am 23 and facing possible loss of vision i am -17.5 in both eyes and have a sigmitism, and have retinal scaring and tareing, i have undergone a porcedure called pan laser retinpoathy to seal the blood vessels that had burst and to also prevent new vestles from forming
Pan retinal photocoagulation is usually done for diabetic proliferative retinopathy that has nothing to do with high myopia. Myopic macular degeneration of the "wet" kind is generally treated with Avastin or Lucentis that is injected into the eye or the cold visudyne light therapy.

In any case you should be under the care of a retina Eye MD.

If you are not comfortable get a second opinion.

JCH MD
My doctor did the laser to seal the blood vessels, he is Dr. kenneth kesty. North Bay Ontario
Hopefully Dr. Kesty is a retina subspecilaist Eye MD.

You will need to get details from him.

JCHMD
Just feeling a bit overwhelmed as to how and where I should get started in this community.  If I ask any questions, I really don't even know where to begin.  I feel enlightened to know all the problems out there and what solutions you all have found -- I am amazed at what answers I find, as basically I think I am more chronically neurotic than the ultimate of visually impaired.

Though I will want answers, I would find the general community support even more life-affirming.

I am basically someone who started out about medium high myopic and high astigmatism also with amblyopia.  In only about three years or less I went from mild to very bothersome cataracts such that in a short amount of time I can now only correct my vision to 20/80 because of my cataracts, fear the possible complications of surgery and can't help wondering if there are other solutions besides instant surgery.  Especially when I can finally see with two pairs of eyeglasses put together -- though this compromises my near-vision.

There is one medical center in my area offering me free surgery, medical care, etc., but I don't want to compromise just to go to any institution or doctor I can pay for, as I really need the more specialized care for my eye disabilities that go beyond the usual.  It seems in California one has to be next to totally blind to be considered "disabled" enough for benefits.

Anali
Dear Anali,

I just got online and went straight to answering your post. First I'd like to say that I
have a very good idea of what your going through and I do wish you the very best of all possible outcomes. No doctor can give 100 % guarantees with any operation whatsoever
and patients in similar conditions can have different outcomes.

This said,I believe there are things patients can do to help set the odds in their favour. It is important to be informed about your condition. Doctor John C. Hagan has been very helpful to me and if you ask questions on either forum, busy as he is, he gives prompt and informative replies.I am very thankful for him.Learning about other people's experiences helps you understand practical things and brings up issues you  didn't even think of . You can type cataract surgery high myopia or simply just cataract in the upper right corner where it says search MedHelp. Although I've been dissappointed by a few
doctors, I haven't lost faith because I realize no doctor can know everything and some issues are so "complex" that different doctors have different views...

I am no doctor but the idea that I have about cataract surgery is that if you're not myopic
the risks of complications are pretty low. However, if you are myopic, there is an increased risk for retinal detachment which myopic people are already prone to.and cataract surgery should only be considered when vision is severely impaired. If this is your case ( and it will be mine one day, already have cataract...) you will probably need the surgery.

Please ask for Doctor's expert advice but I think the first thing you should do is get your retinas checked: Perhaps special action may be taken to prevent retinal detachment.
I don't know if people get both eyes done but if your scared get your worse eye done first and see how that goes.

Another important issue is the type of lens you get implanted and how well it will correct your vision and its important you should get informed about that. To help you understand these issues you can look up monofocal and multifocal lenses for example and I believe there are many, many experiences good and bad reported with all sorts of lenses on Medhelp's forums.

You may end up choosing to be operated in the place you referred but I thinhk its worth spending your money on the opinion of at least two specialists. Dr. Hagan may be able to reccomend one in your area.

Sorry for long post. I sincerely hope you get all the information and help you need and that things go really well for you.

Sophia

-
Dear Sophia,

As I am not yet used to navigating these group sites, I owe you an apology.  Naturally you were looking for my response to your very well-thought out heartfelt letter and I hope you found my response.  I finally figured out later that accidentally I sent my letter to you as a private message only when I wanted to post it here:  It somehow escaped me at that time I needed just to post this in the "Post Comment" section here rather than clicking on your user name.

Than you so much for your letter and, I am going to try to find my original response to you so I can then copy it and post it here.

Thanks so much for all your thoughtfulness!

Anali
I have a son that has -17 in right eye and a -19 in left eye. He has serious problems even with glasses seeing clearly. It is terrifying to even send him to school. I have spent a fortune on glasses and of course he gets picked on teased about his "coke bottle glasses." He really wants to go to contacts but his eye dr has been hesitant. Are there any daily contacts for children with severe myopia?? he also has a astigmatism. My son is 11 and every time we get a prescription it seems to be worse. I have trouble getting answers from the dr and I am extremely frustrated as is my child. I just want to know what he is going to have left for vision and what we can do to improve his vision health.

The doctors on this forum are prompt and attentive in their responses and will certainly
answer your  questions.

I would however like to give you my opinion about contact lenses. Don't really know
my prescription at the time but started to use RGB custom made contacts when I was 18. Besides myopia -22 and -17 I now  have a high degree of astigmatism and I'm assuming your son also has astigmatism.

I have used this type of contact lense for over 15 years and regrardless inevitable pathological myopia issues I am at least very happy with the way I chose to correct my vision. It is more difficult to get used to RGB's than soft (toric in your case) lenses but
afterwards you don't notice them at all and I am totally convinced they are better for good vision as well as eye health. I must add that I wish I had started using them sooner.
I recall I started using them for periods of time which were gradually extended and after
I think one week or so I used them all day.,

Please do get a professional opinion but I  believe your doctor is hesitating for two main
reasons:

1 - Your son's eye is still growing and even without myopia progression you will need to replace the contacts with a certain frequency to adapt to eye growth.

2 - He is young and will need to learn to handle the tiny lenses. I  was 18 and it was confusing to me how to handle some thing so tiny but I got used to it really fast and you
know if your son really wants it iIbelieve he will too.

In an attempt to give you more complete information I would like to add that for example his friends shouldn't touch his eyes because thes lenses " pop out " more
easily than soft ones. Another thing is that its not pleasant at all to get dust in your eye that gets behind the lens,  but you can move tthe lens carefully to the corner of your eye and get to somewhere where you can take it off ,wash it and problem solved.

Hope this helps, I certainly wish I had known a number of things years ago.

Hope you find the ideal solution for the well being of your sons eyes as well as his happiness.

Sophia

Hi you all good to know there are others out there with the same situation as yours truly. I am scheduled to have my good eye, or what used to be my good eye, operated on on Dec 15, 09 and it does concern me a lot, but ya know there are thousands of indivuals out there whom never had the chance to have had the qualty of life that I had thanks to technology. Ya see, (well maybe that's the wrong choice of words)I have -15.5 in my left eye and -18.5 in the other and have
cataract. I could take the risk, or go blind. There
isn't another option so I will go forward as best I can and should I go blind I'll join the blind community and that's the short of it! Iook at it this
way we have 3 choices here; we accept our situation, we remove ourselves (impossible), or we change the situation! It seems to me the only option is to change our situation and the only
thing we can change about our situation is how
we approach it! I say **** happens! I could live with the outcome! Many before did and many more after me will!
Oz
amen! **** happens....that's life. As long as you're alive then put a smile on your face and get on with living! :D
I have a 4 years old daughter who's been suffering from high myopia & strabismus. She started crossing her both eyes inward when she was 5 month old, since then she had 2 surgeries to correct her eyes. Sadly it didn't change now she crosses outward:( since she has hight myopia her vision changed from -7 to -12  her  right eye reached to -11 right & -12 on left eye. So we been changing her eyeglasses on & off. We went throught many good Drs in town but Doctors are keep saying if she will wear her eyeglasses her crossing might be corrected with out another surgery. As a mother who's worrying about her child I have contacted to many drs but none of them not giving me straight info what it can be done to correct this eye problems she has. I'm worried about her condition since she's only 4 years and going throughout this issues, I have no idea what will happen when she will be older. Hope to hear from someone reasonable answers what can be done.
Thank you.
I have a 4 years old daughter who's been suffering from high myopia & strabismus. She started crossing her both eyes inward when she was 5 month old, since then she had 2 surgeries to correct her eyes. Sadly it didn't change now she crosses outward:( since she has hight myopia her vision changed from -7 to -12  her  right eye reached to -11 right & -12 on left eye. So we been changing her eyeglasses on & off. We went throught many good Drs in town but Doctors are keep saying if she will wear her eyeglasses her crossing might be corrected with out another surgery. As a mother who's worrying about her child I have contacted to many drs but none of them not giving me straight info what it can be done to correct this eye problems she has. I'm worried about her condition since she's only 4 years and going throughout this issues, I have no idea what will happen when she will be older.
I have never met anyone else with a similar prescription to mine, except my father. I am 27 have -19.75 in right eye and -20 in left eye with a slight astigmatism. I started wearing contacts when I was 12 and agree with all of you that seeing with contacts in better then glasses. I started with the plastic non disposable lenses, they came in vials and you were screwed if you lost one. Once I got a little older, high school I believe I started wearing disposable soft contacts. I remember my dad wearing rigid gas permeable contacts, so glad I don't have to wear those.

I am schedule to go in for ICL (implantable collamer lens) surgery next week. Due to my high myopia this will not correct my vision 100%. So the will be doing IntraLasik a few weeks later to correct it all the way. I just want to know if anyone else has had this surgery. I am very nervous about and would love to hear some success stories. Thanks!
My daughter is now 5 years old.  At age one her prescription was a -19 and has steadily worsened.  We just went for a checkup this week and she is currently at a -28.25 in both eyes.  We are going back Monday to have her eyes checked while dialeted to make sure of the prescription before we order yet another new pair of glasses.  I have searched for 4 years trying to find an adult with her vision so they can tell me what she sees.  There has been a language barrier due to her profound hearing loss in both ears.  She does hear w/the use of hearing aids, but it has put her behind in speech.  She is a LOT better than she was and basically talks non-stop now, but the only thing I can get out of her is 'it's blurry.'  From what we've been told there is only about 2% of the population with her vision, which would make sense as to why I've never been able to find someone.  There's two things that makes it hard for me to understand.  One, I've never had glasses and two, she gets around just like any other child her age.  They keep telling me that she was born with it so that's basically the norm to her, but she absolutely amazes us which something new basically each day.  She definitley has the personality to overcome!!  

Now that you know a little history......
Is there ANYONE that HAS her vision or something close to that can answer some questions for me?  ANY help from someone that lives this would be GREATLY appreciated.  THANK YOU!!!!!
I'm glad to hear you're able to get the ACL procedure!  I went through testing for it last summer, but the cell count in my eyes was too low, so that had to be put on hold.  I'm 28 years old, with -21 in my left eye, -18 in my right with mid-range astigmatism and lattice degeneration in my left retina.  With contacts, I can see pretty well, but I can't get 20/20 vision in my glasses anymore.  I'm mostly hoping to be able to get some level of corrective surgery because I'm having issues with night vision, particularly when wearing my glasses.  My biggest fear is that my vision will continue to decrease at a faster rate than technology is increasing and there's always going to be some risk that prevents me from improving my vision.

I hope you report back when you have time to give an update on how you're doing!
I just found this forum today.  I'm 66 years old, luckily started wearing glasses at age 3, then hard contact lenses at 12 without any problem at all.  Switched to RGP's when they came out.  Tried disposables, but my eyes were always itchy with them, perhaps from the solution, and went back to the RGP's, which I still use.  

I had keratomelieusis in my worse eye in the 1990's, just to have some vision without wearing a lens, for emergencies.  I'm mixed about the result, as the astigmatism worsened.  However I can get around better as I have about 20/70 in that eye all the time.  Vision is about 20/30 minus in the other eye when I am wearing the lens.  I am considering another  surgical option in the unknown future, depending on options available.

Prior to the surgery, correction was in the mid-upper teens bilaterally.

I feel it was important that I got my lenses  when I was young, as I had a more normal social life.
Have you tried alternative methods like natural vision improvement programs . Dr.Willam Bates method.
Hi, My son is 15 years old and have a  Myopia. -7 in both eyes. Doctor suggested to make operation, because he had -5 2 years ago. What do you suggest?
Thank you in advance

My advice is to try Natural vision improvement . Please refer Dr.William Bates method.

Regards
Ramesh
My Daughter suffered from an injury while in the  NICU and now has Extreme myopia at only 1 year  of age.  (we are told it will get worse) Her eye's are normal other than the myopia and her retina never detached... What can we do for her? Are there any options to reduce the chance of her myopia continuing to progress? She wears glasses (-18.00 in her left and -11.5 in her right eye) to help, but I am very concerned for her longterm prognosis.  Any feedback or referrals on who to see would be welcome! Thank you!
Dear Doc,
I have a high myopia of -11 d and i m just turning 18 so i m concerned that with growing ages my myopia will get worse n i was told that my retina is in risk of tearing so im seeking supportive response n advice for my treatment what should i do?And please help...
Hi Mander81,

I am 49.  My vision is around -32 or even worse (last time checked was -27 which was over 6 years ago and it deteriorates about -1 per year.)  Started to wear glasses at 10 after my parents notices that I can not read prices at shops.

To answer your question about your daughter, at that degree of myopia, you hardly see anything beyond 5 cms from eyes.  Everything is blurred. It is amazing that your daughter is getting around without them.  Watch her and make sure the space is safe for her.

I used glasses till 24 and then switched to soft lenses (I think it was - 14). Switched to RGB lenses at 38.  With age, other complications start to appear.  I has a surgery two years ago to treat blood vessels leak (may be was due to over-strain in a heated exchange of words and shouted on my staff).  Floaters are getting much in the way.  Loss of the effective cells in the retina causes patch y vision (where parts of the pictures are lost).

I was looking for a forum with such topic as this one for a long time and was reading all the posts here,and found yours which is of very importance to my concerns.
I am - 22 and wear contacts with -20,working ok for me so far,but at night I am not as comfortable as before..for years I was looking to do the IOL surgery and after a long denial I decided to go with it.So I had all the exams and they told me I will get -20 since they do not have stronger power,also they wormed me about all the possible complications related with the surgery.
Then we scheduled the surgery and today the doctor's assistance called me to cancel the surgery which was supposed to happen in July(now is January)because the supposed lens happened to be a bad one and they will not have it in use anymore...I asked if the doctor was afraid to perform the surgery on me because of my conditions and high myopia,but she said..Nooo,it is the bad lens,and it was the 'special'one,customized just for people like me:(
I am kind of relieved,but feel like my dream will never come true:(
Hello, I had been wearing contacts for 34 years since the age of 10. Depends on your child how he handles the whole thing. Occasionally I had some issues but in general nothing to worry about. I had been wearing them since I got out of bed until I went to sleep at night. Never wore glasses (teasing at school etc) then at this magnitude of myopia you cannot see properly with glasses. I was wearing -18 until I had the cataract surgery last year and there is no need to wear them any more. At 44 it is strange not seeing the lense case and the solutions in my bathroom any more....:) .
my son is 2.2 years old , since almost a year he started to see things from very very close which i thought is not a major concern but recently i took him to an ophthalmologist and found out that he has -21 myopia and also has bluish sclera, doctor has suggested glasses for him and also referred to a paediatrician for a possible connective tissue disorder . kindly suggest how to go about it and will he be ok?
I'm 36 and my vision is -23 left & -24 right. I've been wearing glasses since first grade, which is when my vision problem was identified.  I wore glasses until 7th grade because they really limited my field of vision. Since I wear my contacts from 5:30am- 10pm, I changed to gas permeable at 25 yrs old to avoid complications with my cornea since the soft lenses were so thick and were preventing enough oxygen from reaching my corneas.  My vision has worsened by -10 in the past 15 years and has yet to slow down. Some years I skip an entire diopter and others .5. I had my first hemorrhage 6 years ago and received avastin in my left eye. Treatment lasted about a year (1 injection/4 wks), and then my right eye hemorrhaged. I've lost most vision in my right eye than my left and haven't gone more than 3 months without an injection. Avastin stopped working for me after 1 yr of treatment so I was switched to lucentis. It is far more expensive for a lucentis injection than avastin ($5,000/injection).  Lucentis seems to be working for me and has restored some of my vision in my right eye and most in my left. I have heard of the lens implant and my doctor advised against it since I might need cataract surgery at some point.  As annoying and scary as it is to wake up and not see, I'd rather not get a surgery until it is completely necessary. I see Dr. Decker @ the Texas Eye Institute in Houston.  

Having vision this bad requires my husband to adapt to my needs. Things around our home aren't moved around otherwise I won't be able to find them. I cannot see faces without my contacts or objects farther than 5 cm from my eyes. Large print helps me because some of my vision is distorted due to the hemorrhages.  My other senses are heightened and I'm very sensitive to very loud places or people who wear very strong perfumes, deodorant, etc.  I've haven't felt "disabled" until someone's made fun of me or picked on me... Yes, it happens even at my age.  I wish Sophia and the mother with the baby with bad vision the absolute best. There are foundations that will help people like us be as independent as possible regardless of our circumstances.

Please always consult a retina specialist or an ophthalmologist to help you with your questions. My optometrist, family doctor, or pediatrician weren't trained to help me.
I'm sorry for your difficulties with high myopia-induced retina bleeding.  

In case it could help your situation, I wanted to mention to you a new drug being developed to help patients who develop resistance to anti-VEGF drugs like Avastin and Lucentis.  My ophthalmologist mentioned it to me recently as his practice is participating in the clinical trial for the new product, brand named Fovista.

Here's a link to one very technical article about the research being done on this product.  They are testing a combination of this therapy together with traditional anti-VEGF agents.  The article describes a patient benefit with the combination therapy vs monotherapy with Avastin-type drugs alone.

http://bmctoday.net/retinatoday/2013/03/article.asp?f=anti-pdgf-combination-therapy-in-neovascular-age-related-macular-degeneration-results-of-a-phase-2b-study

Fovista is in a class of injectable drugs called 'anti-PDGF' and my doctor told me it is supposed to work slightly differently than anti-VEGF drugs.  The goal of this medication, he described, is to target the cells at the very tip of the new blood vessel growth, to stunt them and prevent them from growing.  It can apparently help patients who have developed a resistance to traditional anti-VEGF drugs.

The trials are being done in patients with wet AMD, I think, which is a a different disorder in which there is abnormal blood vessel growth in the retina.  The cause of blood vessel growth in wet AMD is not the same as retinal bleeding and blood vessel growth due to complications of high myopia, so I don't know if it would benefit patients like us.

But you might ask your retina specialist about it, and do some research yourself to see if you might benefit from this medication, and if so whether you could access a clinical trial to obtain it.  Good luck!
can anyone tell me the treatment of a myopia of about -10.25 rite and -10.75 left plz??
I do not know if you got the help you needed. I am 21 with -37 eyes. I too have cateracts and all the attached problems.  I also have stickler syndrome.  I am beyond worried about the future.  I've been to university and I have a job.  I worry about my cateracts stopping me.