Eye Care Expert Forum
High Pressure

Our Ask-A-Doctor Eye Care Forum is where you can post your question and receive a personal answer from physicians affiliated with the American Academy of Ophthalmology.

High Pressure

HI, im 29 years old female with a very very high myopia of -21 in both eyes.I have had PVD in both eyes also lots of floaters. I recently had my eye examed by Eye  Specalist and i was told i that the pressure in my eyes was slightly a bit high,but everything else was fine no damage to the back of the eye.They gave me a follow up appointment in 3 months. Is this eye pressure something to worry abt? Could it lead to Glaucoma? Is it possible to get this at my age? What other problems could i face in the future with this high myopia? pls get back to me.
thks
Very common question.  High intraocular pressure can often be a sign of glaucoma which can lead to different degrees of vision loss if not properly treated.  Now on the bright side, there are also people with elevated pressure who don't have glaucoma. There are many factors including optic nerve anatomy, peripheral vision changes, anatomy of drainage angle, corneal thickness and retinal nerve fiber thickness that go into making the diagnosis of glaucoma.  It sounds like you are borderline at worst so keep your follow up appointments and if needed in the future someday it might be that you actually have to start  treatment for glaucoma but as long as you are under the care of a good ophthalmologist, you should have nothing to worry about.  It might be that you never develop glaucoma, also. That would be great.

MJK MD
I am a 31 year old man with a similar condition - high myopia -11 with floaters and currently on medication for reducing eye pressure. I have been taking this from the past 3-4 years.