Eye Care Community
High anisometropic amblyopia IOL surgery, double vision post operation

This patient support community is for discussions relating to eye care, cataracts, glaucoma, retinal detachment, eye infections, misaligned eyes, intra-ocular implants, refractive surgery (LASIK and CK), glasses, contact lenses, amblyopia, eye injuries, dry eyes, ocular allergy, eye pain and discomfort, pediatric eye disorders, eyelid and tearduct surgery, poor eyesight, and eye surgery.

I am 31 old female and I had a IOL implant for correcting a high anisometropic amblyopia in

my right eye, about two weeks ago. My eyes have: right eye (the one that has the implant

now)  - 8 (high miopia with astigmatism); left eye has -1 (miopia with astigmatism). The IOL

was an Artisan iris-claw with a refractive power of - 8. Now I still wear glasses, with 0

diopter for the operated eye and a -0.75 diopter for the left eye. Before surgery I weared

glasses all my life, and in the last period I had right eye: -2.5 ; left eye: -0.75

diopters.
I read a lot about amblyopia before surgery and I thought a lot before deciding to have

this surgery. My doctor convinced me that I will be able to recover the binocular vision

even my brain was used to see only with one eye (monocular vision), but he didn't tel me how

long it will take this to happen. After 2 weeks after operation, I have a very pronounced

double vision all the time, it's like I see everything in two separate images, not one. My

vision in the eye with the implant is great compared with before surgery. But the vision

with both eyes open it's a disaster right now and it seems isn't improving from one day to

another.. I have to go to a post-op consult after one month and till than, the doctor told

me to be patience and to wait, because it's normal that the recovery to take a while. My

question is: how long it will take me to see normal with both eyes, when this double vision

will disappear? When I'll be able to realize if I'll ever see normal with this IOL (I have

the option to take out the IOL  from my eye if there are problems)? I don't think that I'm

capable to live with this double vision too long, because it was allready a challange in

these past two weeks in my daily activities  (I'm a graphic designer).  Thank you very much

to anyone who can help me with sharing a similar experience or with profesional medical

advice.
You have to discuss this with your surgeon.  It may take some time for both eyes to work together.

Dr. O.
Thank you for your advice.
I know that I should follow my doctor's advice and to just be patience and wait, but my concern is that my vision is almost the same after two weeks after surgery and the progress is so small day after day, that I hardly notice it. And my doctor didn't tell me that this problem will take so long so I wasn't prepared not to see well enough so many days after op. And I'm also concerned that so many doctors and people are sayng over internet that amblyopia can't be reversed by refractive surgery.. The explanation I received for this double vision (which is normal for a period of time after an IOL in an amblyopic eye) was that the brain was used to see only one image (monofocal vision), and now I have two images and it will take a while that these two images to fusion in one single image .
Is there a chance that this single image not to form , now or later? How can I be sure that I'm not waiting for nothing? When I should expect to see mostly one image instead of two, after 4 weeks, two months, 6 months?
In my first post I meant -0.75 instead -75 diopter.

Thank you very much!