Eye Care Expert Forum
High eye pressue

Our Ask-A-Doctor Eye Care Forum is where you can post your question and receive a personal answer from physicians affiliated with the American Academy of Ophthalmology.

High eye pressue

Hi, I am really worried as my brother went to the opticians where he was told he had high eye pressure of around 22 in one eye and 24 in the other.  He has been refered to hospital to see a eye specialist who had confirmed high eye pressure, he has passed his field vision test but they are sugesting nerve damage is inconclusive as it was hard to tell.  He has been asked to revisit in 9 months.  Is there anything he can do to reduce the eye pressure?
Actually, there is  not really anything he can personally do to reduce his pressure except try to be as healthy as possible and watch out for things like steroids medications and other medications that can lead to pressure elevations.  Intraocular pressure cannot usually be modified by things like diet or exercise (although some studies did show a very small benefit from exercise) or herbal remedies.  The good news, however, is that if the pressure is found to be too high for the health of his eyes (ie glaucoma) then the pressure can usually be effectively lowered with simple eyedrop medications and sometimes even simple laser procedures.

MJK MD
Hi Michael,

Thanks for your reply.  I am new to medhelp so please excuse me if I am sending this message incorrectly.  My brother is young only 35, we have no family history of high eye pressure and ethnic origin is Indian.  Is it possible that he could of done something to cause his eye pressure to be 22/24?  Is this level of pressure a serious worry?  I am so scared reading some of the glaucoma articles on the internet.  There is no reported damage and the field vision is ok.  However yesterday his left eye which has a pressure of 24 felt very slight pain like when you wake up and the light is on.  We put it down to a possible cold coming on. Can eye pressure be related to sinus pressure as some years a go he had a operation on his nose due to trouble breathing freely.  Your advise is really appriciated and please accept my appolagies if I have posted this to you incorrectly.  Thanks.