Eye Care Expert Forum
High pressure after cataract surgery

Our Ask-A-Doctor Eye Care Forum is where you can post your question and receive a personal answer from physicians affiliated with the American Academy of Ophthalmology.

High pressure after cataract surgery

I had cataract surgery on my right eye on 8/12. My followup exam was today. That eye was set for distance and is 20/20. I'm very happy with the vision in that eye. My intraocular pressure was tested during the exam and the MD said is was a "little high" in the right eye. He did not give me any numbers. He gave me a sample container of eye drops to put in the eye, one drop a day and to return for another exam in one month. The sample is Betimol and he said it was a beta blocker. He did mention that sometimes following cataract surgery the pressure does get elevated. I had cataract surgery on my left eye in mid July and the pressure in that eye is fine and has been all along. The pressure in both eyes was fine before the surgery.

My questions: How frequent is it for pressure to increase following cataract and does it usually go back to normal after the eye completely heals. I have confidence in the MD but I was surprised by what he said and forgot to ask him these questions.

Thanks for any help......Wilt
Dear wilt2448,

High pressure in the eye can occur quite from cataract surgery for many different reasons such as inflammation in the eye, one of the medicines we use at the time of the procedure or if one month later, as a result of the eye drops.  It will often revert to normal once the acute phase is over from the surgery.  Give it time and be patient.

Sandy T. Feldman, M.D., M.S.
ClearView Eye and Laser Medical Center
San Diego, California
Looks like no one wants to answer. Must be bad news. Anyone?
Hi.
I am not a doctor, but I also had cataract surgery with the pressure increasing in my eye. This was a month ago and has gone back to normal. I was told higher pressure following cataract surgery is very normal. Also it could take a few days for a doctor to reply to your posts in this forum.
I had a Restor multifocal and I cannot say I am pleased with the results, only 20/40 with a new astigmatism and poor reading.
londonbridge
A related discussion, Very high eye pressure was started.