Eye Care Expert Forum
Hilar Adenopathy

Our Ask-A-Doctor Eye Care Forum is where you can post your question and receive a personal answer from physicians affiliated with the American Academy of Ophthalmology.

Hilar Adenopathy

My daughter has Ankylosing Spondylitis with uveitis she get (stairrod ?? on spelling) injection in both her eyes when her eyes are inflam. Her last injection was alittle over a year ago, she went to her regular eye doctor for an exam just 3 weeks and found out she is blind in her right eye, A large floater in the middle of her eye. (She had 20/20 last year in that eye.) The doctor said her macular is inflam and there nothing they can do for her sight. The doctor said her Ankylosing has nothing to do with her eye because that infect the front of her eye and this is the back of her eye. He looking at this Hilar Adenopathy and doing all these test HIV was neg. and her TB test was neg. still waiting for the blood work and chest x-ray, one of the blood test is CA125 i know this is for cancer.
I'm very sorry about all the problems your daughter is having. Ankylosing spondylitis can be associated with inflammation in eye, sometimes very serious and even potentially blinding if not treated properly.  Now, I'm really not clear what your daughter has going on and I'm a little surprised that her doctors aren't being very clear about her diagnosis.  My understanding is that the ca125 test is a test for ovarian cancer so I have no idea why they are doing that other than to be very complete in their workup.  I'm sorry I don't have much help to offer -but she surely needs a specialist in uveitis that you can find at a major university teaching hosptial.  I know that there are a few very good ones near here in Miami.

Michael Kutryb,MD
Kutryb Eye Institute
Titusville, FL
Edgewater, FL
Dear sag1219,

I would recommend that sheek the care of an eyeMD to determine the cause of her vision loss and whether anything can be done to improve her vision.  I would also recommend a complete workup of her uveitis which the eyeMD can assist in recommending additional testing such as RPR, VDRL, ACE, etc.

Dr. Feldman

Sandy T. Feldman, M.D., M.S.
ClearView Eye and Laser Medical Center
San Diego, California