Eye Care Expert Forum
How can eye drops affect the ear drum

Our Ask-A-Doctor Eye Care Forum is where you can post your question and receive a personal answer from physicians affiliated with the American Academy of Ophthalmology.

How can eye drops affect the ear drum
I need a victrectomy to close a macular hole.  When I went for the diagnosis, eye drops were inserted.  Yes, the eye drops stinged. .  However I experienced a excruciating pressure in my ear canal for several seconds.  Until it passed, it was  unbearable.  However, in the other ear, yes it stingd, but no pressure-like sensation.

I have allergies to preservatives.   The surgeon suggested said because there is a lot of drops to put in the eye before and after the surgery, he will no do it if I experience  this sensation in my ear drum

Can you please advise what is the sensation I am experiencing?

Occasionally, I take preservative free eye drops.   It is without incident.  No stinging, no sensations in ear canal

Thank you.

Dear onlyeyes,

I would recommend that you find out what eye drop was inserted when you experienced this and whether you have had a reaction to this medication.  

Dr. Feldman

Sandy T. Feldman, M.D., M.S.
ClearView Eye and Laser Medical Center
San Diego, California
A related discussion, eye and ear connection was started.