Eye Care Community
How come eye/retina transplants do not work?

This patient support community is for discussions relating to eye care, cataracts, glaucoma, retinal detachment, eye infections, misaligned eyes, intra-ocular implants, refractive surgery (LASIK and CK), glasses, contact lenses, amblyopia, eye injuries, dry eyes, ocular allergy, eye pain and discomfort, pediatric eye disorders, eyelid and tearduct surgery, poor eyesight, and eye surgery.

When you have transplants from other parts of the human body they tend to function really well, why is this an exception with the eye? Why is it that if a person has a dead/blind eye or a diseased retina they cant receive a transplant from a healthy/eye retina? I have always been curious about this.
1. Tissue transplants to the front of the eye are HIGHLY SUCCESSFUL. examples: corneal transplantations  scleral and conjunctival transplants.
2. retina and optic nerve tissue on the bak of the eye are BRAIN tissue and brain tissue to not regenerate like peripheral nerves. So if a hand is cut off surgeons will try and sew it back on by unitiing arteries, veins, bones, skin, and nerves. If the spinal cord is cut they do not try and sew it back together because it won't grown. Research using many techniques are being done worldwide

JC MD
Ah i see, Thank you
We'll all see when these problems are 'cured"

JCH MD
Thank you for your above explanation.  Would you PLEASE tell me where and what number to contact to be a volunteer patient for retina transplant surgery?  Is there any successful retina transplant done?  Thank you very very much for your help.

Donna
Human to human  retina transplants are not being done, the problems at this time are way too severe.

JCH MD
Dr. Hagan, my wife was pregnant and had HELLP syndrom (syndrome) which caused extreme high blood pressure which accordingly damaged parts of her retinas with scars on them. We are looking for solution for that. Where are we now in retinal transplant?

Thank you
OMAR
The retina, like the optic nerve, is brain tissue and transplants have the same problems brain or spinal cord transplants have. So retina cannot be transplanted.  Research is underway on stem cell therapy, electronic retina/macula and nanotherapy. See a retina Eye MD to see if anything can be done;

JCH MD
My son was blind because of ROP. I read about progress in stem cell research where they were able to successfully "create" a retina-like structure out of human embryonic stem cells. If ever this becomes a scientifically proven method will it be applicable to my son?

Thank you

Jomar
could you please tell me more about the study of retina regeneration I think it is.  The study being done at the University of Louisville, Ky.  I hear they are having success with it to a point and would be interested in something like that.  I have no retina basiccly in my left eye and some damage not much in my right eye.

Thank you

Laurence Vaughan
There is great reason to be optimistic about future treatment of diseases like RP and macular degeneration. Many are already in testing phases but much needs to be done. Basically there are three approaches: 1. growing new eye tissue using stem cells  2. building new eye tissue using nano-technology and 3. using micro-electronics to build artificial retinas, maculas and optic nerves.

You can do internet searches to learn more.  It is premature however to say there is a cure for RP or ARMD.

JCH MD
My right eye retina eye was detached 10 years back and i have no vision.
Is there any possibility to replace entire eye ball from a donor. And will the vision be regained. Please tell us if there are any success rate and will it be possible to do so.

Thank You.
No its not possible. If you have good to fair vision in the other eye its not likely that any attempt will be made to try something in the blind eye.

For people completely or almost completely blind there are artificial eyes but the vision is very primitive and nothing like what even a severely damaged human eye can generate.

JCH MD