Eye Care Expert Forum
How long can I wait for treatment?

Our Ask-A-Doctor Eye Care Forum is where you can post your question and receive a personal answer from physicians affiliated with the American Academy of Ophthalmology.

How long can I wait for treatment?
I have noticed flashing lights for about a week.. Yesterday morning I noticed my first floaters-black circles floating in my line of vision.  After trying to lift something yesterday, I saw what looked like a vessel releasing black floaters into my vision, and waving back and forth in the corner of my eye.  I called my opthamologist and he referred me to a retina specialist, who I will see Monday afternoon.  Today the waving vessel is gone, but lots of floaters in my eye.  Can I wait three days to see the specialist? or should I go to the emergency room?

Kran
If you are have visual loss then go to ER immediately. If it's just the circles with no distortion or loss of vision, then you are probably fine to wait for another day or 2.
Best wishes,
Timothy D. McGarity, M.D.
tmcgaritymd.com