Eye Care Community
How long does it take for cornea to return its normal shape?

This patient support community is for discussions relating to eye care, cataracts, glaucoma, retinal detachment, eye infections, misaligned eyes, intra-ocular implants, refractive surgery (LASIK and CK), glasses, contact lenses, amblyopia, eye injuries, dry eyes, ocular allergy, eye pain and discomfort, pediatric eye disorders, eyelid and tearduct surgery, poor eyesight, and eye surgery.

Hi Im 20 year old male who has been wearing soft toric contact lenses for four years and recently I've discovered that I have ghosting images. It's not double vision. I used to think it was because the contacts were moving but my glasses doesnt improve my vision.

A doctor told me that my cornea shape may have changed from the contact lenses and wait for a little bit. I've not been wearing contacts for almost two months now. But my vision is still the same. How long does it take for cornea to return its normal shape?
I'm not an eye care professional, but I'd think that a couple of weeks would be enough time for your corneas to return to their normal shape.  I'm surprised that your doctor didn't have you schedule another appointment.  Does the ghosting happen in both eyes?  Does it disappear when you close one eye?  In your place, I'd probably set up an appointment with a different (more experienced) doctor.    
1. See a Eye MD ophthalmologist, ideally a cornea specialist.
2. I have seen it take 4-6 months for irregular corneal astigmatism to go away.
3. The medical journals have documented that in some cases the cornea never returns to normal and also in rare cases contacts can cause keratoconus a progressive weakening of the cornea that requires cornea transplant.

Wearing contacts is not without risk

JCH MD