Eye Care Expert Forum
How long should I continue using prednisolone acetate

Our Ask-A-Doctor Eye Care Forum is where you can post your question and receive a personal answer from physicians affiliated with the American Academy of Ophthalmology.

I had an acute close angle glaucoma attack in my left eye two years ago which required a trebeculectomy to relieve the pressure. I also had cataract removed in the same eye about six months ago. Other than the cataract, the eye has been fine. But this early May, I developed an inflammation in the left eye. I was prescribed prednisolone acetate eye drops and use it for one month. Then on July 10, my left eye inflamed again. I was given prednisolone acetate again. I used one drop four times a day for 2 days, then tapers off to two 3 times a day for several days, then 2 times a day for a week, and now one time a day. The inflammation cleared and my eye returned to normal about four days after I started this medication. My next appointment with the eye doctor is end of September. Is it better for me to continue using this eye drop until I see him or stop now ?
It is always best to follow your eye physician's (ophthalmologist or Eye MD) instructions exactly. If problems with the medications arise or questions like you have come up, it is best to call the eye physicians office and ask for directions based on your condition. Prednisolone acetate is a very potent medication and you must look to your personal eye physician to answer this question.  This is a normal part of mediciation and the staff should be able to get you an answer over the phone.

Best of luck

JCH III MD Eye Physician & Surgeon