Eye Care Expert Forum
How long will discomfort and redness last from a corneal ulcer infected...

Our Ask-A-Doctor Eye Care Forum is where you can post your question and receive a personal answer from physicians affiliated with the American Academy of Ophthalmology.

How long will discomfort and redness last from a corneal ulcer infected with a fungus?

I was diagnosed after being sent to a specialist with a corneal ulcer that is infected with a fungus, the doctor said it was the worst fungus you could want.  He has me on Vigamox 4X daily, Baqacil 12Xdaily, and Natacyn 12Xdaily,  this was knocked down, I was on the baqacil and natacyn every hour 24 hours a day.  My doctor has said the ulcer has begun to heal, but it is located in the center/upper region of my eye.  My eye hurts horribly in light, its difficult to drive, even to look at this computer screen.  He also said that a cornea transplant is a possibility.  Is there anything I can do to alleviate the pain so I can function with my daily life? (asides from tylenol) why might cornea transplant be necessary? and if I do have the transplant how much recovery time willl I need? I have a very professional career and this has begun to be a big problem with my job performance.
Dear ruthie4788,

You have a serious infection of the cornea.  The first treatment is aimed at getting rid of the infection.  You are using medications frequently to try to accomplish this.  You can ask your doctor to prescribe nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory pain medications to try to reduce the pain.  The eye is letting you know that you have a serious problem. With this type of condition, no one can predict how long the healing will take.  Fungal infections may take time to heal and are difficult to eradicate.  Try to take care of your eye and follow the instructions with diligence.  

Dr. Feldman

Sandy T. Feldman, M.D., M.S.
ClearView Eye and Laser Medical Center
San Diego, California

In Addition, I just was able to get a good look at my eye in the light, & I noticed a cloudy area over a good portion of my pupil. What does this mean? I also noticed the pupil of the injured eye is much smaller than the other eye.