How often should I have visual field testing?
I have a family history of glaucoma, and have had intraocular hypertension for about 18 years.  For the first couple of years my ophthalmologist had me coming in for pressure checks and visual field tests every six months.  My pressures leveled off, visual field tests remained good, and he leveled off to having these done with my yearly exam.  My regular ophthalmologist has recently retired (at age 50'ish), and on my last visit I saw one of his partners, who said that with my exams having been stable for such a good while, he would suggest to going to possibly every other year for exams, visual field testing, etc.  

I am wondering if my former ophthalmologist was overly cautious, or if this new guy is too nonchalant - if in fact I can safely go to exams and visual field tests on an every two or three year basis.  I have relatively poor vision, with a strong contact lens/glasses prescription.  Thanks for any input.  
I think every two years is not appropriate for anyone over 40 with a family history of glaucoma or anyone over 60.

I would also ask to have a baseline optic nerve OCT and central corneal thickness test done and to be seen yearly.  If the new Eye MD doesn't agree then find a different one. (go to www.aao.org)..

I think your previous Eye MD was on the mark.

JCH MD
I am also a person who started with ocular hypertension, that even with eye drop treatments, progressed to glaucoma in one eye.  Since then I have had three surgeries in that eye to hold the pressures down.  Prior to discovery of the high pressure, I had gone for eye exams every year for 25 years, that included pressure tests (air blast) but not visual fields.  The doctor I saw for all that time did not think my eyes warraned a visual field test!!  The advent of the glaucoma requires my seeing my doctor every three months, at minimum.  If it were me and I was in your good condition, I would see an ophthalmologist twice a year.  I feel it is a small price to pay for the relief that there are good eye health conditions.  Best wishes to you, and a long visual life.
-
I see my opthalmologist twice a tear. He does a visual field test once a year and takes "pictures" once a year. He says all has remained stable for the last 10 years or so. He says I do not have glaucoma and my optic nerve is perfect. My eye pressure with eye drops once a day remains about 12. I asked him if I could take the field test every two years vand he said once a year is appropriate. What do you think in light of the stability of my eyes and the fact that my optic nerve has not deteriorated?
1. Visual fields once a year is standard and some cases require every 6 months.
2. If you take glaucoma drops and your IOP is 12 you do have glaucoma its just controled with drops.
3. I think your are fortunate that your vision, visual field and optic nerve has not deteriorated as glaucoma is a major cause of blindness in the world.

JCH MD