Eye Care Expert Forum
How soon can a premium IOL be removed?
About This Forum:

Our Ask-A-Doctor Eye Care Forum is where you can post your question and receive a personal answer from physicians affiliated with the American Academy of Ophthalmology.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
This expert forum is not accepting new questions. Please post your question in one of our medical support communities.
Blank Blank

How soon can a premium IOL be removed?

I had left eye cataract surgery 6 days ago.  A crystalens was implanted and very slight astigmitism corrected. Its been horrible. I have very little intermediate and no near vision. I was told this eye would be made a little nearsighted. I have a constant flicker in the temple side of the eye, sometimes accompanied by a shadow across that corner of my eye.  Its so bad that at this point I don't care what happened. I just want it out.  How soon can I have that done?  I was scheduled for the other eye next week. That's not going to happen.  
1731421_tn?1358826971
You can have it removed the moment it is implanted. It's never too early to have it removed. My word of caution to you is be patient. The flicker off to the side with the shadow is natural and for most people improves over time. This is referred to as positive and negative dysphotopsia, respectively. Your intermediate and near vision might take some time. Dilating drops are used by some surgeons to improve this function and selective yag capsulotomy can be used as well. If I were you, I would not rush into have the crystalens removed. You can wait on the second eye surgery and let time tell you if things will improve. I wish you the best.
Sincerely,
Timothy D. McGarity, M.D.
Blank
Continue discussion Blank
This Forum's Experts
233488_tn?1310696703
John C Hagan III, MD, FACS, FAAOBlank
Discover Vision Centers of Kansas City
Kansas City, MO
2078052_tn?1331936700
Doreen Fazio, M.D.Blank
Amerisight Institute and Valley Eye Center