Eye Care Expert Forum
How to heal cut on eyelid?
About This Forum:

Our Ask-A-Doctor Eye Care Forum is where you can post your question and receive a personal answer from physicians affiliated with the American Academy of Ophthalmology.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
This expert forum is not accepting new questions. Please post your question in one of our medical support communities.
Blank Blank

How to heal cut on eyelid?

My left eyelid has been red and puffy/swollen for 2-3 days.  It's only the inner part of the eyelid - it hurts to touch and once in a while it itches/stings really badly.  I think I must have somehow scratched/cut my eyelid in my sleep and it has been irritated.

The first day I noticed it, I put neosporin on a q-tip and put it on my eyelid.  I reapplied this before bed hoping it would help.  I didn't notice a difference the next day (okay, maybe I was a little impatient with that method), so I didn't re-apply the next day.  I was also a little concerned about putting neosporin so close to my eye.

I tried putting Systane gel drops in my eye - thinking it could be an irritation on the underside of my eyelid and may need lubrication.  The drops made my eye itch a lot  - I have been trying not to touch it.

I put ice (in a face cloth) on my eyelid for 10-15 minutes last night, which felt soothing, but did not seem to reduce the swelling or make any changes.

Some background: I do not wear contacts.  My eyeball is a little bit red today, but my vision has not changed - I think it is really just something on my eyelid.  If I look in the mirror, I can't see any cut or source of the pain/irritation.

Do you have any recommendations on how to heal my eyelid?  Is it safe to use something like neosporin so close to my eye?
At what point should I go see a doctor? What type of doctor do I need to go to - my PCP or an optometrist or what specialty?

Thank you in advance for any advice you can provide!!