Eye Care Expert Forum
How to heal cut on eyelid?

Our Ask-A-Doctor Eye Care Forum is where you can post your question and receive a personal answer from physicians affiliated with the American Academy of Ophthalmology.

How to heal cut on eyelid?

My left eyelid has been red and puffy/swollen for 2-3 days.  It's only the inner part of the eyelid - it hurts to touch and once in a while it itches/stings really badly.  I think I must have somehow scratched/cut my eyelid in my sleep and it has been irritated.

The first day I noticed it, I put neosporin on a q-tip and put it on my eyelid.  I reapplied this before bed hoping it would help.  I didn't notice a difference the next day (okay, maybe I was a little impatient with that method), so I didn't re-apply the next day.  I was also a little concerned about putting neosporin so close to my eye.

I tried putting Systane gel drops in my eye - thinking it could be an irritation on the underside of my eyelid and may need lubrication.  The drops made my eye itch a lot  - I have been trying not to touch it.

I put ice (in a face cloth) on my eyelid for 10-15 minutes last night, which felt soothing, but did not seem to reduce the swelling or make any changes.

Some background: I do not wear contacts.  My eyeball is a little bit red today, but my vision has not changed - I think it is really just something on my eyelid.  If I look in the mirror, I can't see any cut or source of the pain/irritation.

Do you have any recommendations on how to heal my eyelid?  Is it safe to use something like neosporin so close to my eye?
At what point should I go see a doctor? What type of doctor do I need to go to - my PCP or an optometrist or what specialty?

Thank you in advance for any advice you can provide!!
Go see an ophthalmologist.  You may have a stye or chalazion and they can prescribe adequate treatment.  Neosporing is OK on outside of eyelid but can be very irritating if it gets in the eye.

HV