Eye Care Expert Forum
How to prevent eye sight from fading
About This Forum:

Our Ask-A-Doctor Eye Care Forum is where you can post your question and receive a personal answer from physicians affiliated with the American Academy of Ophthalmology.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
This expert forum is not accepting new questions. Please post your question in one of our medical support communities.
Blank Blank

How to prevent eye sight from fading

I would like to know how to prevent my vision from getting worse. I am 26 years old and my eye prescription is -3.25 which is quite high in my opinion.  I strongly believe it has to do with the prolonged compuyter use.  Some prevention measures I have done are:
- focus away from the screen from time to time
- i no longer use a computer monitor. I use my TV as a monitor so I can sit further away from the screen

Once again, any advice will be greatly appreciated.
Related Discussions
233488_tn?1310696703
1. -3.25 is not highly myopic. It's simply myopia. High myopia starts around -6.00.
2. If prolonged computer use caused incrased myopia there would be a world epidemic of myopia as the world citizens do more and more computer work. There has been no increase of the incidence of myopia as the world becomes saturated with computers. So your theory doesn't fit with world experience. You should relax some.
3. Looking away from the screen periodically will reduce eye strain.
4. If you're really interested in keeping your eyes health see an eye physician (Eye MD ophthalmologist) every year.

JCH III MD
2 Comments
Blank
I dont think prolonged computer use has anything to do with it. I know many people who work with computers 80+ hrs per week and have perfect distance vision.
Blank
Continue discussion Blank
This Forum's Experts
233488_tn?1310696703
John C Hagan III, MD, FACS, FAAOBlank
Discover Vision Centers of Kansas City
Kansas City, MO
2078052_tn?1331936700
Doreen Fazio, M.D.Blank
Amerisight Institute and Valley Eye Center
Van Nuys, CA
1731421_tn?1358826971