Eye Care Community
How to stop the new FLOATERS being formed. Please reply me .

This patient support community is for discussions relating to eye care, cataracts, glaucoma, retinal detachment, eye infections, misaligned eyes, intra-ocular implants, refractive surgery (LASIK and CK), glasses, contact lenses, amblyopia, eye injuries, dry eyes, ocular allergy, eye pain and discomfort, pediatric eye disorders, eyelid and tearduct surgery, poor eyesight, and eye surgery.

I feel like floaters are increasing in my eyes day to day. i attended retinal tests in 3 hospitals, everything was perfect

and i donyt have any retinal tears.

What to do to control the new floaters ??
Tags: floaters
Wear safety glasses (plane glass if you have no refraction error or prescription glasses if have refraction error) to protect eye from external trauma like poking,putting pressure on eye,rubbing etc.

Make sure your sugar levels are in normal ranges.

Do not give excessive strain to eyes, give proper rest by taking frequent breaks while reading,watching computer,TV etc & also sleep properly at night

Try to reduce stress & anxiety, particularly about eye floaters & other eye problems as it can create new floater's.

Good luck!
Stress and anxiety do not create floaters but they make existing floaters worse since people that are anxious, depressed and stressed tend to fixate on them.

we do not know how to prevent floaters. They are a nomral part of aging 50% by age 50 and 75% by and 70.

A new medicine that will disolve floaters is under study. it is still experimental

JCH MD
Thank You very much sir.

I am 25 years old from INDIA. And i dont know why i got floaters.

Will the floaters increase day by day ? I feel like they are increasing.

I can't able to concentrate on anything. Now i am just in the starting stage of my
career.

Is there any need to wear sun glasses ? Please reply me sir.

How many years will it take to find the medicine for floaters ??

Once again thank you very much for your response.

Regards,
Sunny.

Use the search feature and archives if you want to read the many many many extended discussion of floaters.

sun glasses in bright sunlight is good for the eyes but will not prevent floaters

It's just a guess but I suspect the medicine that disolves floaters will be available in 5-10 years.

JCH MD
While sunglasses will not prevent floaters, polarized versions will help you cope with the floaters you have.  Lighter floaters are far less noticeable with sunglasses on, and the hazy outline many floaters get is greatly reduced as well.  They don't make the floaters go away, nor do you not see them at all, but the sure do help.
Sir,

Please tell me whether the floaters increase day to day. If so, what are the precautions to be taken to prevent the new floaters being formed.

Plz reply me sir. plz.. i am very much worried..please reply mee.
Sir, Please respond.
Consult an ophthalmologist regarding those floater,he may check for any internal diseases that might have triggered the floater's.,If he says eye look healthy then just ignore it,there is no point in obsessing with floater's as it is a normal part of life,too much attention to it can only make your situation worse.

I like a post made buy a person in another forum, I'll quote it here

'i've had floaters for 10 years and i have now got used o them and dont notice so much but when i first got them i was terrified. theyare nothing to worry about and are harmless and not a sign of anything bad, i did notice that as soon as i stopped worrying they werent so dark

netty

the dreams of the future are better than the history of the past '

link http://www.nomorepanic.co.uk/showthread.php?t=12631

Good luck!
Thank you very much.

but i need to know whether the floaters increase day to day.

If so, what are the precautions to be taken to prevent the new floaters being formed.
Eye Floater's will increase as one ages & many people will not notice them or ignore it most of the time.

There are certain internal diseases which can trigger vitreous floater like Posterior Vireous Detachment,Retina Tear,Retina Detachment,Diabetic Retinopathy,posterior Uveitis etc & these diseases may also be accompanied by blurring,sever eye pain,flashes in dark room etc so consultation with a ophthalmologist is required.if you experience these other symptoms along with floater.

Floater's can also be caused by blunt trauma to eye so always wear protective glasses while outing.

Many lines,specks & bubbles that we may see when waking up or when placing too much attention to eye like when trying to see with one eye closed not necessarily be vitreous floater it may be tear film debris due to dry eye,blood flow across retina etc

So a tip for ignoring floater is to never look at plane sky or background with one eye closed & also look at far objects as it is also comfortable for eye to look at far objects than looking at close objects like floater.
Thanking you very much.

I was tested at an ophthalmologist with dilation drops , he said no retinal tears and my eyes are perfect.

Shall i go for another ophthalmologist for confirmation ? Or nothing to worry ?

Des900 , i really thankful to you once again ..
then ignore floater's & reconsult only if you see sudden onset of large floater with big eye flashes in dark room (it doesn't mean that normal sudden flash/aftereffect of light when one moves from bright light room to dark room)

welcome

I have eye floaters from over 4 months and now i am facing blurry vision.

I am impressed for your responsibility and care in answering the issues. Thanking you in advance.My query follows.

I cant able to see the objects clearly day and night. I am feeling like seeing through snow or smoke.

I went to an MD and he said nothing wrong with my vision. what to do ?

I think you might catched my problem. Please give me proper solution.

thanking you,
kiran
Cloudy & blurred vision may be sign of cataract

Make a second consultation with an ophthalmologist MD or MS (specializing in cataract surgeries)

Let's face it, floaters suck.  Most people don't have floaters that end up being much trouble.  I have large, thick (i.e. darker rather than opacities), blurred floaters that span from corner to corner of my vision, from side to side and up and down.  There is no quadrant of my vision that is not affected by floaters.  For the vast majority of people, floaters aren't a big deal.  That is not to say those who have bad floaters should be put in that same category.  

I'd dance a jig in the street if I just had 2 - 3 small floaters in each eye.  But, I'm not that lucky.  So, while we can say most floater cases should just be lived with, let's not be too quick to belittle the condition of those who go beyond the normal floaters complication.  

Most agree right now, there's just nothing safe that can be done to help people with bad floaters.  Vitrectomies are not a great answer or I'd have demanded one by now.  Laser vitreolysis is only partially effective at best, yet may hold promise for future treatments.  Oral supplements are nothing short of a scam.  That said, it's time some thought be given to floater research to put an end to the (frankly) absurd condition people in my shoes have to live with.  If you can ignore your floaters, than thank God you're in the vast group that can.  If' you're in my boat, keep taking things day by day until better and safer treatment options come available.

I chuckle when I read things like "most people don't even notice their floaters until "condition X".  What I'd give to be so lucky.

Good luck and keep looking for future treatments.  There's hope in injection treatments (like Vitreosolve), lasers, or just a refining of vitrectomy surgery that removes the more common complications like cataracts and also the catastrophic ones like going blind.  I suspect our relief will come on the back of a treatment meant for more serious eye conditions.  In the end, floaters don't ruin an eye like say diabetic retniopathy can.  But, dealing with that pesky vetreous fluid through whatever cause inspires it, will bring new hope to us too.
Hi, nice to see your post.

Is there any chance of finding medicine for floaters in the nearer future ??
I'd like to believe there's always hope.  At the moment, there's really only one real solution, which is a vitrectomy.  You can look those up in a search.  It's a lot like gambling.  You'll be thrilled if everything goes well, but if it doesn't you could lose your vision in the eye.  Even if things go well, vitrectomies have proven to accelerate the formation of cataracts especially in patients that have the starts of them.  So, in the end you may be trading one problem for another.  Vitrectomies are very effective but hardly optimal and almost all eye doctors will discourage them for floaters.

Dr. Hagan and some others here have been keeping an eye on an experimental drug called Vitreosolve.  I think he mentioned it earlier.  This is a type of drug that would be injected into the eye to liquify the vitreous.  It's intended use is for diabetic retneopathy, not floaters though.  And, let's face it, many if not most new drugs end up on the cutting room floor during testing.  Even if it comes through as a dream solution, it could be 5-10 years before it would be adopted as a viable medication.

If you want my opinion on a future "cure" for floaters, I don't think we'll see anything soon.  A cure is probably going to come on the backs of research for other more serious eye conditions, or private/coorporate ventures.  And, it could be that the vitrectomy surgery advances to a point where it is a more viable solution for a larger number of people that transcend average floater conditions.  I do not believe any floater specific research is going on with the intent of finding a fix for them.  However, I have noticed a softening of the stance that they are not worth fixing, particularly overseas rather than in the US.  Perhaps in the future, that will lead to funding that can support research into floaters.  In the mean time, you have to assess what all the rest of us must consider, and decide for yourself if it's worth the expense and risk of finding a doctor willing to perform a vitrectomy for you.  I'd encourage you to give it ample time to see how you adjust before making any hasty decisions.

Good luck!
hi, very thanks, you are so helpful to me.

where r u from ? what is ur age ?

Will you please tell me how to prevent new floaters forming ? And does neurological conditions are releated to eye floaters ??

Thanks in advance, reply me when you are free ??
I'm 30, in the USA.

I hate to tell you but you can't prevent floaters.  They're part of getting older.  It's just unfortunate that some people get them in ways that make them troublesome rather than just annoying.  Myopic (nearsighted people have a higher chance of floaters).  But, you can't prevent nearsightedness, just treat it.  Some people think certain antibiotics cause floaters, but there's no medical proof and every doctor on this forum would say it's bunk.  I'm inclined to agree until there is studies that show a connection.  

Neurological conditions won't affect floaters one way or another as far as I know.  

Floaters are a result of the degeneration of the non living biological material in your eye known as the vitreous humor.  Floaters can't be treated because they are not connected to the body in any way.  If the Lord had elected to make the body circulate that vitreous fluid, we'd probably filter it somehow or replace it regularly as a part of the body function.  But, he didn't and so it sits in our eyes like a stagnant pond.  All we can medically do is remove it, which as I mentioned earlier is not at this point a very good option due to the risks and side effects.  Think of it like water in a balloon.  The water is not part of the balloon, and anything suspended in it is not connected to the balloon in any way.  Replace balloon with "eye" and you get the idea.

Bottom line is, you didn't do anything wrong to get your floaters.  They will not permanently damage your eyes.  They are not a result of anything but an aging eye.  And, sadly, right now there's no good solution for getting rid of them, nor can you do anything to prevent them.  So, it's best to try to get used to them, and if you can't or they are so bad they prevent basic things like reading and driving, you should talk to your doctor about the vitrectomy surgery.   Otherwise, you're in the same boat as a lot of us, waiting for something to come along that doctors will feel comfortable doing to treat us.

If you have a lot of questions, I suggest you visit floatertalk...

I've spent some time there talking with other people that have problems with their floaters.  It's a very informative forum with good support, and they won't try to sell you on anything.  It's just regular people talking about floaters, and providing support to those getting used to living with them.  You can hear from them on their experiences and even those that have had vitrectomies done to relieve their floaters.
I guess this site does something to filter web addresses.

Just do a search for "floatertalk"  if you want to find that site I mentioned.  It should come up first with that key word.
Hi .., thank you very much for your kindness.

Please give me your E-mail ID , so that i can keep in touch with you..,
i too developed floaters overnight, am 28 and dont have any risk factors to develop floaters, I would like to know has your floaters increased in number?
Just wanted to say thanks for the posts.  I'm also a 30 yr old male with dark vitreous floaters in every corner of my vision that I got from laser eye surgery 8 months ago. It's good to know there's other people out there with the same condition who can keep the whole thing in perspective.  

Do you have heightened light sensitivity from the large amount of floaters as well?  I feel like there's a freakin halo around my vision when I'm watching tv in a dark room.  Also have you found any good ways to deal with working in front of a computer screen? Right now I'm wearing a pair of rose coloured sunglasses! :-D

Here's to a cure some day!

If your floaters increase on a daily basis, you obviously have an underlying problem.  Even if they can't see it, doesn't mean there is no problem.   There is a type of floater, that they cannot see...  They tend to be large and transparent, and thus must be extremely close to the retina (in the premacular bursa).  They are often even more noticeable when your pupils are dilated, or gazing through a pinhole at a bright background.  I got a whole army of those, and MD deny i have em (as they cannot possibly see them). Most likely cellular debris ....

Sir

I am 25 years old and had undergone ICL surgery in right eye 8 monhs back.I was feeling great 4 months after surgery as my vision was far more better than when i wore contact lenses in right eye.After 4 months, due to high stress level in life, suddenly i developed floaters in both eyes. and they have worsened day by day. I got my retina check several times. Doctors say there is no retinal holes and get your retina check after every 3-6months. As I was high myopic in right eye and moderate myopic in left eye, having floaters is common. But again, Now i think I was happy when i used to wear contacts. Atleast at that time , I hardly noticed any floaters......One more thing, when i remove my contact lens from left eye, floaters are more as compared to time when i wear contact lens.
Is it helpful to wear contact lens of no power in right eye (ICL eye) so that I see less number of floaters??
Please reply back.
hi i'm crystal i'm a 1 month post op lasik patient, i've got floaters after just 2 weeks of that lasik surgery, my lasik doctor just told me that it's a normal process of the eyes and nothing to do with that lasik surgery even my retinal specialist has the same explanation but i really don't believe them. now i got stressed and had anxiety bec. my floaters tend to worsen every week it started with one dot on the right eye and now it's two, with strings on it, even on the left eye floaters became visible i'm afraid what will happen to me after 6 months. i wish i don't undergo lasik surgery with that doctor and that place! i spend a lot of money just to have anxiety huhu....
sir,
    I am 28 years old and having floughter problem in my right that make my job more complex while working in office on PC and one major think spot comes in front of my vision that moves after many tries to move eye from right to left then it disappear for sometime but appears again. so please let me know what should i do?
I am super sensitive to every change in my body and I was gifted with perfect vision my whole life. So when one day I went outside to run my dogs like I do every day, and noticed that I couldn't look at the sky without seeing these floaters all over my vision, I was not only terrified but horrified that I couldn't see like I did before. I spent a lot of days crying, a lot of days wondering why it happened to me, and a lot of days stressing and worrying and reading and scouring the internet for possibilities and possible treatments.
I wasn't happy with the answer I kept finding: "It's normal, you'll get used to it, nothing you can do."
I didn't feel like it was normal for a 27 year old to one day wake up and have a bunch of crap in their eyes, I definitely didn't ever see myself getting used to them, and the one thing I can't do when I'm losing my vision is do nothing.
I went to an eye doctor who scoffed at some of my symptoms and scoffed at how severely "normal floaters" had effected my quality of life. So I went somewhere else.
I found a doctor who was smart and who cared, she looked at my eyes for what seemed like hours, discussed every possibility, and though she couldn't fix me, or take back what happened, she let me know that she was positive I wasn't going to go blind, that she didn't see any problems, and that yeah.. Though it's hard, I'd have to get used to them.

There were a few days when I would have rather died than to have these things in my eyes.. I would have rather laid down and just stopped living. I'm a gamer, a photographer, an artist, a hiker.. and these floaters effected everything I loved in my life. I know it's hard, I know it feels like one of the worst things that could happen to you, that's how it felt for me.. I felt like there was some answer, something I could do, something I did to cause it, some way out to go back to how I was before. But the only thing I could do was lay there and cry, and find some will power in my heart to live with it, and to not live with it in misery.

Luckily I have the best mom in the world.. and the best family in the world. I cried until I couldn't cry anymore, accepted the fact that my vision had changed and all the hoping in the world and wishing I could rewind time to back before I had these problems wasn't going to change anything. My mom was there to hug me every day, to tell me it would be okay.. to tell me I would find ways around it and that she'd never let me deal with it alone and that she'd give anything to take it for me and live with it instead..

It's hard, one of the hardest things I've ever had to deal with. I felt like I had to grow up about 50 years in a day. You still go on, you still live, the world is still beautiful, even if you can't see it as well.. it cuts our quality of life in half, it makes things hard, hard to focus, hard to see, hard to look beyond it and keep going. It's a little hard to play games like I did before, but I still can, it's hard to look at paper to draw and paint on, but I still can. It's hard to read books or read on white backgrounds, and it's hard to go outside in the sunshine and see the flowers and the clouds and the trees and my beautiful dogs.. But I still do all of these things.
You have to get to a point where you accept it. Not to be happy with it, but just.. accept it.. Accept that this has changed for you, that you have to live with it for now, that smart people out in the world are working on medicines that can help, and we just have to wait, and keep trying to live life.

I have tons of floaters.. Long ones, black dots, bright ones.. They're in my eyes constantly, in everything that I look at. They're not the kind that will settle, they're all over my center field of vision. When I focus on them I get headaches, when I use my eyes too long I get headaches, it used to make me sick to my stomach - not so much anymore. I have after images that came with the floaters, bright lights hurt the hell out of my eyes and then I see negative images everywhere. My night vision is shot, everything looks a little pixely and weird like there's movement everywhere, like visual snow.

When I first had the floaters appear, my vision was so blurry I couldn't see more than a couple feet infront of me. I overfocused on everything since I thought I was losing my vision and wanted to make sure I could still see, and put so much strain on my eyes that they became inflamed, I gave myself false near-sightedness from all the focusing and overworking my eyes that I never used to do, and the inflammation caused a few more floaters.. Which was definitely the last thing I wanted to do.

We're all going through this together. We can't be happy about it, we won't ever be.. It's going to impact your life, you're going to feel like it's all a bad dream and you're going to wake up and everything will be back to normal. You're going to look for answers, you're going to think about your floaters constantly, look at them constantly, try to remember a time that they weren't there.. and when you finally get to the point where you accept that they're not going away, and that it's nothing you did wrong.. maybe you can learn to live beside them.

I wake up with a smile and I go to bed with one. Some mornings I open my eyes and hope that they'll be gone, but they're still there.. I don't think about them, I don't look for them, if my mind starts to get onto the subject of floaters I quickly find something else to think about. I smile at my mom when she's talking about how pretty the clouds are in the sky cause I know that they are, even if I can't look at them.. I laugh with my sister when she's talking and playing games cause my sense of humor isn't gone, and my love for life isn't gone.. I still take my dogs for a run, and they don't understand any difference in me, they still chase birds and have fun and run to me wagging their tails. My favorite cheesecake still tastes as good, my boyfriend still loves me, and I'm still alive.

Come to terms with it..make sure your eyes are healthy and then accept it.. Cry if you need to, take a deep breath, I promise you from the bottom of my heart that it will be okay. Live with it, find a way around it, don't look at them, don't think about them, don't let yourself read anything else online about what else could be wrong with you.. When your brain starts to go down that road, don't let it. When you're looking at the sky and staring at your dots and strands everywhere, it's okay.. they're there for me too.
Some day there will be a fix. People are so smart and although floaters don't get the attention that they deserve, there is going to be a fix.
We just have to wait and keep going, and do what little we can to make them better. Don't stress.. don't think about it, don't look at them, and find a way to smile.

I love all of you, I care for all of you, I understand everything that all of you are going through, I don't pray very often, but I pray for everyone going through this. My heart breaks for anyone who doesn't have someone close to them to give them the kind of support that I had, it got me through. You'll get through it, just like the rest of us. And it'll get a little better, I promise you. It's gotten better for me.

Here's lookin at you. :)
Thank you so much!!!!  I have had floaters for years, but just this week developed much worse ones, to the point where it does affect daily life.  Just found this site and am reading all of the posts.  Horrible that we all have this condition, but reassuring in some way that we are not alone.  Thank you so much for sharing.
Hi there, thanks for posting about floaters.  You are definitely not alone.

If you developed a sudden onset of new floaters this week, you should try to see an ophthalmologist soon who can check to be sure that these are 'just' normal floaters.

A sudden batch of lots of new floaters might not mean anything is wrong.  But there is a small chance that this symptom could be related to an problem inside your eye such as a tear in the retina, and you should see an ophthalmologist just to be sure everything is fine.

Be sure you go see an ophthalmologist rather than an optometrist, as that kind of doctor would be better able to tell if everything is ok.  An ophthalmologist that is a retina specialist would be the best, as they would be the doctors to diagnose and treat a retina tear, detachment, etc.

Don't be afraid of going to find out about this, there may not be anything  wrong.  Even if there is something going on, it's likely to be fixable.  Much better to check it out - promptly.

My dad just had a retina tear lasered down before his upcoming cataract surgery, and he didn't even know he HAD a tear (no symptoms) and the doctor fixed it right in the office in a few minutes.  

Please don't wait to get checked out, and good luck.
Dear,
I am very toutched with your srory. Today I was thinking of suicide. When I found your post it makes me feel guilty as I can't strugle any more with this craps. I do't live any more, I am waiting for the day of the death. I would undergo vitrectomy immidiately if i would have money for it. I cannot beliave what God can put on a man!!!
I wish you and me, and all floaters affected people to have strenght to live with it.
i m sachin and i am from india

I have floaters form my 10 th i.e from age of 16 i firstly ignored them but they are getting worst day by day and i cant ignore them i asked this to doctors but they are not getting any attention. I am very angry and i cant take this more i just want the floters cured as early as possible. I lose my temper when i go outside and try to watch the sky. That very irritates like u want to commit sucide for that....

I cant take it more hope there will be treatment for it as soon as possible...