Eye Care Expert Forum
Hyperopia, 6 year old, low prescription still need glasses?
About This Forum:

Our Ask-A-Doctor Eye Care Forum is where you can post your question and receive a personal answer from physicians affiliated with the American Academy of Ophthalmology.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
This expert forum is not accepting new questions. Please post your question in one of our medical support communities.
Hyperopia, 6 year old, low prescription still need glasses?
My six year old daughter (who turned six this month) had her well check.  My wife and I both suffered from myopia (pre-lasik) and were a bit concerned when the doctor said she passed but at 20/30.  So we took her to the Opthamologist that my wife sees.  She was diagnosed with hyperopia.  She had some difficulty reading at distance and up close (the latter I expected being farsighted).  She has never complained about reading or doing homework.  She was prescribed glasses with a +.50 in one eye and +.75 in the other eye.  The doctor said the glasses were "preventative."

Should kids this young be wearing glasses with this low of a prescription?  Will it prevent their eye from adjusting/developing properly?  Will her being farsighted mean that she will likely not suffer from myopia later?

I plan to ask the doctor more questions, but just wanted a generic opinion about a kid that just turned six wearing glasses with such a low prescription.  It might give me some ideas of more questions to ask.
Discussion is closed
Cancel
2 Answers
Page 1 of 1
1573381 tn?1296151159
It may change as she gets older.  You may want to get a second opinion from another pediatric ophthalmologist to make sure the prescription was measured accurately.  That is a small prescription but whether she needs correction or not depends on how much difficulty she may be having with reading etc.  I would get a second opinion just to confirm the measurements.  Two brains are always better than one.

HV
Discussion is closed
Cancel
Does wearing glasses interfere with the natural development of a child's eyes at that age?
Discussion is closed
Cancel
A
A
This Forum's Experts
233488 tn?1310696703
Discover Vision Centers of Kansas City
Kansas City, MO
Blank
Weight Tracker
Weight Tracker
Start Tracking Now