Eye Care Expert Forum
I accidently was sprayed in my face with weed killer

Our Ask-A-Doctor Eye Care Forum is where you can post your question and receive a personal answer from physicians affiliated with the American Academy of Ophthalmology.

Yesterday Afternoon (Sunday) I could tell something wasn't quite right with my eye and by last night my eye was really red and hurting I have now woke up and it's draining (clear) and it's hurting..I had a catarac removed in Dec of last year and had a replacement lens put in. My new lens is a "Acry Sof IQ" from Alcon. Saturday afternoon I sprayed my yard with weed killer the kind that attaches to a garden hose. it was just a little windy but I managed to keep the spray from getting on me.. When fininshed I was relieving the pressure from the bottle and a little bit of the liquid sprayed my face.(stupid me wasn't wearing safety glasses). I didn't feel anything burning in my eye at the time and I went in and rinsed off my face. I didn't think anything about further until just now when I woke up at 1 am and started thinking back about why my eye was acting up.  I will be calling my Doctor as soon as his office opens. My question is... I'm worried I may have damaged my lens? or that I may have an infection? Maybe both?? also if not the weed killer I cried alot yesterday (from happiness) could my tears have caused my eye to feel like this?
See your Eye MD today. Tears will not cause a problem. THe IOL is not at all likely to be damaged, biggest risk is damage to cornea.

JCH III MD
Thanks for your quick response. My problem turned out to be high eye pressure. It was at 48 by the time I got in to see the Dr. They are now suspecting Glacoma.. I was given 3 different kinds of drops to lower it asap and I'm supposed to have a follow up tomorrow... It's really hard for me to stay optimistic when something else keeps going wrong...
48 is extremely high. You need to stay very closely under the care of Eye MDs. 48 is very very high.

JCH III MD
I am so glad you went to the doctor. Did the weed killer have anything to do with it?
I guess you know that there are glaucoma specialists, in case you feel that you need one,

I know this must feel discouraging, and these feelings are hard to beat. But please keep working with your doctors.

I have felt this way, when something new happens to my good or bad eye, I really panic.
I am feeling better about my eyes lately,

I hope you will feel better soon.
My follow up today was with a Glacoma specialist and he did confim that I now have Glacoma. Today my pressure was at 21. He talked about putting some sort of drain on my eye ball?? What do you know about this device?
These valves are used only for the most difficult cases. Use Google and search Ahmed Glaucoma Valves.

JH MD