Eye Care Community
I am 29 and I have a "sac of fluid on my Macula" and 20/100 i...

This patient support community is for discussions relating to eye care, cataracts, glaucoma, retinal detachment, eye infections, misaligned eyes, intra-ocular implants, refractive surgery (LASIK and CK), glasses, contact lenses, amblyopia, eye injuries, dry eyes, ocular allergy, eye pain and discomfort, pediatric eye disorders, eyelid and tearduct surgery, poor eyesight, and eye surgery.

I am 29 and I have a "sac of fluid on my Macula" and 20/100 in my left eye.

After about 6 months of slightly blurry vision inmy left eye, I scheduled an appointment in April with a local Optometrist to be fitted with glasses. He took a look and said he wasn't sure what it was but it appeared to be a "sac of fluid" on my Macula. I took that to mean a Macular cyst, the Optometrist scheduled an appointment for me with a nearby Ophthalmologist.  I was forced to cancel that appointment. The vision has worsen slightly but I can still make out things. I am trying to find inexpensive health insurance so that if I needed surgery I could afford to. Although if needed I am confident I could get up to about 30 k to pay for something myself.  My right eye now has floaters and I'm worried about it.
How likely is it that I would be able to regain vision or stabilize what I have now if I had the surgery?  If I still have to wait another three tofour months? What are the chances of this happening to someone my age who has no other health problems? I've always had 20/20 in both until the last year or so.
Tags: vitrectomy, macula cyst, Macular HOle, Improvement after vitrectomy
By worsening I mean a slight graying of the area, not enlargement or additional waviness but it is getting worse.
You should get in to see an ophthalmologist, ideally a retina Eye MD (if you live in the USA find one near you at www.geteyesmart.org    You may not need surgery, you may have macular edema which is generally not surgery, you may not even have a macula problem as the training of a non-MD non-physician optometrist often is inadequate to sort through the possibilities.

So don't wait. Go now

JCH MD
Thank you. I did some browsing and did find some information on Macular Edema. I am NOT a health professional, I read the "yellowish" spots description and, the image I was given from the Optometrist (and I lost it. otherwise I would post it. lol) does show the "sac" is yellow in color. I will schedule my appointment soon. I have never had vision problems and I am terrified. I even cried in the optometrist's office when he said he didn't know what it was.
It looked pretty symmetrical, round, with smooth sides. The pictures I saw of macular edema looked uneven with random shapes. But that's just for information, I don't know what it is. :-)
ONE LAST THING. What are the chances of vision recovery whether its a cyst (and would glasses or contacts help afterwards with further improvement-maybe not to near full vision but better), or its edema (and what are the options for treatment)?
Without a proper DX its not possible to offer a prognosis.

JCH MD
:-)
:-)