Eye Care Community
I believe my AcrySof IQ IOL mono lens implant is not the correct power

This patient support community is for discussions relating to eye care, cataracts, glaucoma, retinal detachment, eye infections, misaligned eyes, intra-ocular implants, refractive surgery (LASIK and CK), glasses, contact lenses, amblyopia, eye injuries, dry eyes, ocular allergy, eye pain and discomfort, pediatric eye disorders, eyelid and tearduct surgery, poor eyesight, and eye surgery.

I am a 59-year-old woman who had cataracts in both eyes. I had an AcrySof IQ Aspheric Natural IOL lens, Model: SN60WF, Power: 22.0 D implanted in my left eye the first week of January 2012 and was extremely happy with the results. Prior to surgery I was using 3.25 reading glasses, which were difficult to find in drug stores due to the high strength. After surgery, I am able to read most anything with no reading glasses. (Reading very tiny print requires me to use 1.25 reading eyeglass.) I was so delighted with the results that I could hardly wait to have the surgical implants in my right eye.
After I recovered from my left eye surgery, my doctor asked me if I wanted to have a distance lens implanted in my right eye and I said yes. In mid-March, the doctor implanted the same model AcrySof IQ Aspheric Natural IOL lens in my right eye. This implant is Power: 21.0 D. Since that time, I have been quite disappointed in that I cannot see even a short distance (watching television or looking at a street sign ahead of me when driving) clearly. Everything appears blurry. As an example, when in the grocery store or department store I cannot read the signs above the aisles that tell what items are on that aisle.
Can anyone tell me if my doctor used the wrong power lens when performing cataract surgery on my right eye?
Hard to say, but it is certainly possible.  Technology is such that most of the time surgeons can get very close to the correct power lens, but not 100% of the time.  Certainly discuss your concerns with your ophhalmologist.  In many cases if the power of the IOL is off the surgeon will offer you a LASIK touch-up free of charge.

It's also possible you may have a wrinkle in the capsular bag or have already developed some posterior capsular opacity, in which case a YAG laser procedure may be indicated.

I am unable to determine the problem with the information provided.  What is the best corrected visual acuity in that eye and what is the refraction?

Dr. O.
Dear Sir ~ I do not have the information you are asking for.  :(
Annie
Dr. O. is asking whether you're seeing 20/40, 20/50, etc. out of the affected eye after correction with eyeglasses.  The refraction would be the glasses prescription for that eye that you'd present to whomever you use to obtain your eyeglasses.
Was he going for blended vision...purposely making your left eye slightly nearsighted and your right eye eye 20/20? (so that you could read without glasses as well as see distance)...

If so, it sounds like he hit the target for the the left eye but not the right eye...you should be seeing 20/20 if you just look through your right eye alone...you need to discuss this with your doctor and ask him why you are not seeing 20/20 in the 20/20 eye (right eye)...

Do you also have astigmatism?  if so, you should have gotten acrysof toric lenses...the standard acrysof do not correct astigmatism and things would still be blurry without glasses...

Sounds like your doctor doesn't communicate well with you and you don't communicate well with him....no offense but you really need to have a discussion with him about this...and let us know what he says...
Doctor has prescribed gloeye 1 tab daily after 7 days of my cataract surgery. After taking the tab within half an hour i feel discomfort in my stomach due to acute acidity. Should i continue the tab. Whether it will be useful in improving my blurred long vision after cataract surgery ? Further i am feeling that there is a shadow in vision in the corner of my eye which was operated. Plz suggest what should be the remedy.