I can blur my eyes.
Hello I am a 23 yr old female and I finally decided to poke around and see if I could figure out if what I can do with my eyes is natural.
A little history. I was born with a "lazy eye" as they call it. When I was little 4,5 and 6 yrs old I wore bifocals and from time to time I had to wear a patch. I do remeber wearing the patch on my right eye, which leads me to believe my left eye was the "lazy" one. But now a days when Im tired or on my one I can cross my left eye while leaving my left one straight.
But what I ponder is...I can blur my eyes on command. It's not something that happens on it's own. it's something I can make happen. Very simple...clear, blurry, clear, blurry, clear. just a quick as you can read this I can blur and clear my eyes (blurry to the point that I can't read 2 inch type 6ft away). I've been able to do this ever since I was a little girl, but never mentioned it, because I assumed it was normal.
I also do not have to wear correctine lenses anymore, I haven't had to since I was 6 yrs old, and I had a minor eye exam roughly 2 weeks ago, and I can read very very small type. Oh but I don't have any depth perception.

Could someone please tell me if it's a condition, a natural thing in some people, and maybe a name for it?

I would greatly appreciate it.
At first I thought that I was d only one who can do this.. But guess what I'm wrong..n I'm really glad to know that there ppl who had a same ability. ;) I'm not saying that this ability is special or whatsoever stuff u guys might think..but its just interesting. N I'm curious about it..well hv u guys ever heard this quotes that the future belong to the curious? If we keep doing research.. Who knows we might found something.. N BTW I'm still waiting for d Facebook page tho.
Well, hello

I'm 14 years old (female) and I can also blur my vision. I've been able to do it ever since I remember and I thought (like many of you guys) that everyone could and that it was normal. But one day I somehow mentioned this Baku (blurring my vision at will) and no one believed me, so I didn't mention it anymore.

And then one day we had an eye check at school and the doctor told me I had 20/20, but that I was a little colorblind. And when I came home I wanted to see these color-blindness tests to see if they showed the same result. I found a test where you're supposed to put the squares into the correct order so the color will ''flow'' from one end to the other. I was having some trouble and I blurred my vision. I got 37% - that's good: 0% is normal and 99% is colorblind. I tried the test again without using Baku and I got 98%. I really freaked out. But then I saw how this eye-blurring actually helped me.

When I found this page I was very surprised because I thought I was the only one. I mean, after I asked some of my friends no one could do it and most of them didn't even understand me.

For those special abilities: I can't predict the movies or stuff like that and I can't do that double vision (unless double vision means crossing your eyes). I can't focus on somehitng but make everything else blurry - it really hurt my eyes when I tried. Someone mentioned something about making everything dark around the point you're looking at - yeah, I can do that. And everytime I use Baku it's like the room moves away from me. It's quite weird.

Baku's usefulness: I never had a fear of being on stage so I never thought about it like that and I also don't do it when I space out. If anything it keeps me FROM spacing out (it's actually hilarious). What I sometimes actually do is: if I'm bored and I can't do much because there are a lot of people in the same room I just look at a wall and use Baku and I make up shapes from the different shades of colours. I haven't found anything actually useful yet, though.

That thing about the Facebook page is actually an awesome idea. I mean, you don't have to google the whole ''I can make my vision blurry and then clear'', but we could just put up a group - maybe even ''Baku''. It is a cool name after all.

Thanks for putting this duscussion up! I finally found some people with the same ability!
I'm in for the website :)
Btw I have ADHD and DYSLEXIA.. Does any of this related to it??
Heyy mysteryshroom I think you should check your messages tho :) ..thank you
Hey I'm a 16 yr old boy. Wow I just remembered I could do the blur eyes thing today I sort of forgot about it so  I decided to research it again. I don't think I found it in years past but I finally found something. This forum has been going for 5 years crazy that many could do this. I get the same reactions as others did when I said this and I stopped telling people. Except one of my friends said he could do something different a long time ago. He said he could almost slow time a little like focus a little more so he saw things a tiny tiny tiny bit slower. Idk if it was true or not but my blurry eyes thing makes me believe it. It makes me think of it is an evolutionary thing or something or maybe some other purpose. Or maybe not at all just a little trick some people can do. I have used it for a variety of purposes I don't rly remember what i used it to do but I will use it more often to remember what I can use it for. I'm kinda happy this "power" didn't just disappear over the years
This is the answer given by Dr. Kutryb the ophthalmologist. It is just as correct today as when posted.   No super-powers here.

FIRST ANSWER:

Michael J Kutryb, MDBlank

Apr 17, 2008
..

This is called accommodation.  You are constricted and relaxing your ciliary muscle and changing the shape of the crystaline lens and changing the vision.  It is usually done to see up close but in your case you can probably reduce your hyperopia and vision until you stop accommodating and vision blurrs.  This may be a sign that you need glasses or just that you have great accommodative ability.  A refraction with cyclogyl drops with an ophthalmologist would completely clear up the question of what is going on.
the people in the comments section already said a lot of them already have 20/20 vision, are you even reading the comments? for a doctor you sure are arrogant and prideful. i guess you were to good to waste your precious time actually reading comments before you commented on them, wernt you? (altho i must admit the aura comments were pretty dumb)
Oh yea also if you want to show proof of this ability to friends and family  you can take prescription glasses and put them on then do the blur your eyes and you should be able to see through the prescription glasses perfectly clearly as normally it would be blurry to someone with 20/20 vision. Then read something to them then if they still don't believe you have someone else try reading with the glasses who don't have the ability. I discovered this and this is how I convincedy brother that I could blur my eyes :D perfect solution works every time.

One last thing read it without glasses first so they don't think you actually NEED glasses
TIP FOR ANYONE IN NEED OF CONVINCING PEOPLE OF THIS ABILITY If people don't believe you just put on prescription glasses and use the blur thing and you should be able to see clearly then read something to them. I did this with my brother a while back and it worked like a charm :) also read something to them first before the glasses so they don't think you NEED the glasses because they will most likely try to find any excuse to prove you wrong.
Oops I sent it twice xD oh well
This is something that pretty much any kid with fairly normal, healthy eyes can do.  I did it when I was a child, but after I realized it did nothing but gross out a few of my classmates, it wasn't very interesting anymore.
=
Heyyy thanks bruh..well it works...thanks to you ..my mom believe me at last :)
=
Who's up with me for the Facebook page? If yes please let me know...here's my email

: ***@****
=
oh my god i swear i have the same occurrences, 20/20 vision but can still blur everything around me. I also have the exact dreaming insight you referred to but it will be totally random occasions that rather have no importance but i can see it days before. That's crazy no one believed me i'm glad you posted this because every time i tell anyone they have no belief in what i had stated.
=
Know your chakra. The sixth chakra, mean 'to know' to perceive 'to command'. It is located in the head, at or just above the third eye level. The element associated with ajna is light. Its function is seeing and intuiting .the verb that corresponds with this chairs is 'I see' . the body parts affected by the sixth chakra can manifest in blindness, headaches, nightmares, eyestrain, and blurred vision. This chakra is actually in the brain, so its nature is very mental. One finds inner vision as part of this chakra, as well as actual steeling and outer vision. That is why mystic and clairvoyant abilities and also associated with sixth chakra. Thank you ;) btw we already hv a group on Facebook : I can blur my vision on command. :) please join that group :)
to be honest, i think this is kind of silly
Chakra*
Whatever

Good one!

yeah so do i like when i can't concentrate blur for a few seconds then back out again and im focused
what was the double vision
It is puzzling why there are so many posts on this, its not a big deal, most people can blur their vision I suspect. Most on this site are concerned with remedying their blurry vision they don't wish to have. I haven't bothered reading through these, but I do note a few posts back some comments on "chakras" and "auras", which are unscientific nonsense backed by no remotely credible evidence (if you find anyone claiming to be a "scientist" who falls for the stuff they are in a tiny minority of those with poor evidence evaluation skills, not every scientist is good at their job, or knowing frauds trying to make money off scamming the gullible into buying their books or treatments, and some publications will print any paper no matter how badly done).
=
I think people who doubt this or who are in disbelief can't do it. They probably have no clue what we're talking about so they just think it's crazy B.S. we just make up.  I've been doing this since I was around 5 years old now I'm almost 20 and my eyes have gotten stronger Ive used this blur or Baku a lot and I feel like I've come a long ways since discovering it, I can now see things as if they were moving slower because my eyes can keep up with things better I have dreams too and the ones I remember are the ones that happen usually. I can relate to everyone on here I'm glad I found this page I want to learn more about it.
re: "people who doubt this"

I suspect most people don't doubt that people can blur there vision, they merely find it puzzling that anyone finds this useless ability of much interest.

re: "see things as if they were moving slower because my eyes can keep up with things better"

The same can't be said for claims like this where many people are likely rightly skeptical.  I'd ask that people find show any sort of scientific or credible source backing claims like this, otherwise the odds are it is akin to the "placebo effect", or merely the result of someone paying attention to their vision and practicing paying attention to things, and nothing related to this "baku" blurring eyes thing.

re: "I have dreams too and the ones I remember are the ones that usually happen"

There is no credible scientific evidence for premonitions, whether dreams or not. Many dreams can be distorted and reinterpreted after the fact to have predicted something because they are vague, which ignores the myriad dreams that are forgotten since they didn't even vaguely come true. There are vast numbers of people who wish to believe in such things, but despite that they haven't come up with any credible evidence there is anything to the phenomenon. (or at least nothing credible to actual scientifically literate people familiar with study design and all the ways that people can fool themselves with statistics that need to be ruled out).  People are free to try to find evidence, though it seems unlikely they will succeed given how many have tried before. Of course people are free to waste their lives on fantasies rather than facing the real world.

=
Well I can do this, and wondered if it was common. I think that even though this ability seems useless It could have scientific advantages. And at first I thought I was just crossing my eyes, but I tested I closing one eye and it still worked.
Yes, this "ability" is fairly common in kids under 15 or so.  The more thoughtful ones quickly realize that the blurring thing has no purpose besides freaking out their friends.  Kids with fewer interests or education seem to hang onto the activity a lot longer.  Then their eyes get older, the muscles cannot accommodate so quickly, and then they can't do it anymore at all.

If you think blurring your eyes might have some scientific advantage, try thinking like a scientist:  start by taking a biology class.
Is your nose above your eyes or do you just act that way.
=
I can blur my eyes.  But i have bad vision and always thought it was from blurring my eyes.
At this point its probably a good idea to restate that we cannot damage our eyes by voluntarily blurring them and that it is normal for anyone to be able to blur their distance vision by activating their normal focusing mechanism.

JCH MD
at this point i dont take you seriously because of all the bullcrap comments you made earlier that show you just jump right in and comment without even thinking about what the person said. is that profile pic even your real picture?
I too have the ability, not that amazing i know but i have put some thought into whats actually going on and some possible misconceptions.

Some people in this post are saying they get double vision, surly this would only occur if your crossing your eye's "like if you look at your nose", but with the difference of adjusting in between.
some people believe they have control of the muscle in the eye that focuses.
i think when crossing your eyes to certain degrees people naturally focus for that distance.

I think having control of both the crossing of your eyes and the focusing independent from each other would allow you to see under water, there's some tribe of people somewhere that can do it "Underwater vision" i remember hearing about.

So me being able to unfocus my eye's is probably just a by-product of crossing then. Not sure but it makes sense in my mind.

What do you think?

Forgot to add I learnt to blur my eyes with them 3d opticle illusion books, it wasn't my aim but damn i loved them books.
I think the trick to doing the books if being able to cross your eyes but keep your eyes in focus on something closer?
Double vision is normal. If you hold a finger in front of your face about 6 inches and extend your hand and hold your thumb up and they are in line. If you focus on the close finger you will see two distance thumbs. If you focus on the distance thumb you will see two near fingers. this is normal and called physiologic diplopia.

When we converge our eyes to see at near they also focus for near. This is called the accommodation/convergence reflex.

I can make it soI see two of both.
yes but they are talking about double vision in an abnormal situation.
True, but alas, Doc, it is short on juju.  
au contraire mon ami.  It's strong juju.
Im able to blur my eyes on command  too, i wear glasses and never had anything really bad happen with my eyes. I can also do something weard and abnormal...i can focus on my head and i can make my body tingle for a second and make it go back to normal on command. I can do this on command sometimes but not all the time. If you know what this is called i would like to know.
i think its called asmr where i can make my body tingle at will like a shock went through me
I can do this too.
I can do this too.
That was weird
Asmr ?  What's that ?
=
I'm 16yr old girl and I've been able to blur my eyes on demand since before i can remember, but like lots of other people, i haven't said anything till recently, and people just couldn't understand what i was trying to explain. i asked my friend to watch me do it, and she said that my pupils change size, so i presume its got something to do with regulating how much light gets into our eyes. i also have really bad eye sight and can blur my eyes more when im wearing my glasses, and only a bit when im not.
Omg i am so glad i randomly found this!!! Since i was very little i always kinda thought i was a freak because i would try to tell people about it and noone quite understood. I would hear oh everyone can do that its straining your eyes theyre just tired, or that happens when youve focused too long and id ve like NOOOOO you dnt get it....i can litterally blur you out till you are just a smudge then snap you into foucus like a camera lens lol. Then i wld hear no you cant what ever. But i can!!! So i always felt like i was wierd!! I have 20/20 vision though not a single problem with my eyes.Then one day i decided to video tape my eye while blurring it out and refocusing (yay smart phones!) And my pupil gets reallllllly small when i blur it and wide when it snaps back. Its really wierd. It freaked me out n i showed my husband and he was like get outta here you just fixed the light or something so i took him in the bathroom where its really bright n showed him n hes like EWW U WIERDO lol.....i always thought i was alone!!!(or a cat or a goat or some shiz hahaha)anyways i got much better at it through the years now i can totally blur crap out to meer colours almost n then snap back to 20/20.
sheks7864   There is no mystery here.  It's really very simple how that is done.  Most people can voluntarily stimulate "the near reflex" that does three things 1. make the eye focus to near (thus blurring distance vision) 2. make the pupil smaller to help with near vision 3. converge or cross the eye to help focus at near (this makes things in the distance double).  While all normal eyes can do this some people apparently do not know how to initiate the reflex.  Mystery solved.
i can do it without focusing on anything. i think everyone can do it, i can do it without crossing my eyes, putting my finger in my face, or doing any of thoes things. some people can do weird crap with their eyes without jamming their eyes together or jamming crap into their face, and they can do it at will. which is what everyone has been saying over and over. you dont read the comments, because you dont listen to anyone but yourself. mystery solved.
This is for all the people who want to prove it to friends. Take a pair of glasses from a friend with poor vision and have others read from a book through those glasses. Most people can't make out any of the words but for those of us that can can do this with our eyes can focus through any prescription. They won't think you're crazy after that.
There is no mystery here.  It's really very simple how that is done.  Most people can voluntarily stimulate "the near reflex" that does three things 1. make the eye focus to near (thus blurring distance vision) 2. make the pupil smaller to help with near vision 3. converge or cross the eye to help focus at near (this makes things in the distance double).  While all normal eyes can do this some people apparently do not know how to initiate the reflex.  Mystery solved.

If you look through a myopic (nearsighted) person's glasses and "focus" you can clear the vision. An older person (50+ cannot do this). That is normal.  No mystery there either.  

Everyone. This is a normal part of what the eye can do especially in young people called "voluntary stimulation of accommodation"
I can also blur my vision on demand. I really thought I was the only one. I asked everyone else to see if they could do the same, but I couldn't find anyone. They just ignored me probably not understanding what I was trying to explain.
I want to see someone with this ability do something really wonderful!  Instead of making your eyes jiggle really fast (oh, breathtaking!), how about teleportation?  Win the lotto!  Tell us that an earthquake is coming!  Your boyfriend of the night can't get it up, but on the other hand, you won't go home pregnant!  Yay!
Yes, do get on with your life. Everyone. This is a normal part of what the eye can do especially in young people called "voluntary stimulation of accommodation"
rather then "voluntary stimulation of accommodation" what they are talking about is more like flat out "voluntary accommodation" no stimulation needed.
also dont tell people "do get on with their life" fake volunteer internet doctor
=
I always thought everyone could focus their eyes at will. I can't remember a time when I couldn't do this. Now, I drive with my eyes out of focus. It allows me to see everything in my feild of vision, and be able to snap focus to any abnormal movement. I am a great driver, my record proves it. If you want people to understand what we can do, have them focus on a point across the room. Then hold their finger horizontally above their feild of vision, about 8 or 10 inches away from their face, and lower it to just above the focal point. Tell them to look at their finger, then look at the point across the room, rinse, repeat, rinse repeat... When they can do that without having their finger in front of their face, they will know. If I concentrate enough, I can completely black out my vision. It instantly comes back when I lose focus. Sometimes i can visually move things.
=
I was told at a young age that I had a mixed astigmatism which means both the lenses in my eyes are elongated instead of round and symmetrical. I'm not sure if it is the cause but I can easily blur my eyes. I learned an astigmatism causes light to enter your eyes from multiple points and this lead me to believe when we blur our eyes we are adjusting the light allowed to pass through our lenses and possibly how many points of penetration the light has. This would easily explain the "aura" people see. I have also done it when I was in school I used to see how large I could grow the "aura" when I was bored. I believe we are only refracting the light differently with our eyes and creating a glow around what we are focusing on. Using accommodation we are changing the way our lenses are shaped to "bend light" allowing us to blur our vision and see the "auras" some have mentioned.
=