Eye Care Expert Forum
I need help with my eyelash problem

Our Ask-A-Doctor Eye Care Forum is where you can post your question and receive a personal answer from physicians affiliated with the American Academy of Ophthalmology.

I need help with my eyelash problem

My left eye eyelashes are growing inward ( towards the eye). It started in 2007 and since than I have seen 3 doctors who did not offer me any solutions. They said it is not an infection in my eyelid and they suggested I could have plastic surgery to correct the problem. I have tried eyelash perm, eyelash extensions ( cutting the original eyelashes), with improvements lasting for only a week or two.
Could you please advise if there is a name for this condition and are there any lasting solutions for this problem? It is affecting my vision, it is not strictly an esthetic problem.

Thank you very much.
This is called trichiasis.  You need to see an ophthalmologist who specializes in lid surgery, such as an oculoplastic specialist.  This condition can damage the cornea, so surgical repair is needed for persistent or severe cases.