Eye Care Expert Forum
ICE syndrome and scleral thinning

Our Ask-A-Doctor Eye Care Forum is where you can post your question and receive a personal answer from physicians affiliated with the American Academy of Ophthalmology.

ICE syndrome and scleral thinning

My husband was diagnosed with ICE syndrome many years ago. He had a shunt put in for pressure followed by surgery to remove scar tissue that built up on the shunt, several debreading procedures, etc,  and was told the sclera was thinning near the "bleb". Well today the "bleb" was visibly deflated (and it looked like two small blisters ruptured near it) and he will be seeing the opthamologist on Monday. What can they do to correct this? Will he need to get another surgery for the shunt? Any help is appreciated...he is so young and it is so rare that he has it-let alone have to go through more surgery.  Thank you.
I am happy that he is being seen so promptly.  Without an exam it is hard to say, but there may be a leak in the bleb, which needs to be repaired to prevent infection.