Eye Care Community
IOP and sport

This patient support community is for discussions relating to eye care, cataracts, glaucoma, retinal detachment, eye infections, misaligned eyes, intra-ocular implants, refractive surgery (LASIK and CK), glasses, contact lenses, amblyopia, eye injuries, dry eyes, ocular allergy, eye pain and discomfort, pediatric eye disorders, eyelid and tearduct surgery, poor eyesight, and eye surgery.

IOP and sport

I have moderate myopia: -4,75 L; -5,25 R, IOP 16 and 17 mm/Hg; axial length 25.6 and 25.65 normal healthy retina incl. peripheric. In Russia there is a protocol in which is  said that in eye elongation equal or greater than 26 mm all kind of sports are prohibited except swimming. I quit my weight-lifting because of medical advice. I am 23 yo. Now i am affraid to even perform simple home workout of pull-ups, push-ups. Can the temporary increasing of IOP during sport (sit-ups, push-ups, pull-ups) lead to further axial elongation of the eye? My doctor said that it is possible, though I think it is unfounded,please somebody explain it to me.  Thanks in advance!
I would lead a normal life and possibly cut down on contact sports or any sport that can lead to trauma to the face.

Dr. O.

Dr. O.
Avatar n tn
Thank you very much.