Eye Care Expert Forum
Impaired Vision after Cataract Surgery

Our Ask-A-Doctor Eye Care Forum is where you can post your question and receive a personal answer from physicians affiliated with the American Academy of Ophthalmology.

Impaired Vision after Cataract Surgery

I had cataract surgery on my left eye nearly 6 weeks ago, using a Toric lens, 20.0 D.  My distance vision is now worse than it was prior to surgery and my close-up vision is better.  The left eye is my VERY dominant eye and the one I use for distance.  My surgeon is saying that my previous Lasik surgery (6 1/2 years ago) made the calculations difficult and that resulted in the miscalculations.  He had all my records from the Lasik surgery prior to doing the calculations.  He is now recommending more Lasik surgery to fix my vision.  I refused to have the second eye done until the first is fixed.  

What would be your suggeston.  
Unfortunately what you are describing is very common.  Even with the best technology, we have trouble predicting lens calculations after Lasik surgery.  Your options are to either wear glasses for distance or have "touch up" Lasik done (assuming you are a safe candidate).  They can use the results from the first eye to better predict the lens in the second eye.

HV