Eye Care Expert Forum
Infant has white ring around her pupils
About This Forum:

Our Ask-A-Doctor Eye Care Forum is where you can post your question and receive a personal answer from physicians affiliated with the American Academy of Ophthalmology.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
This expert forum is not accepting new questions. Please post your question in one of our medical support communities.
Blank Blank

Infant has white ring around her pupils

My 1 mth old daughter has bluish/greyish eyes that are slowly getting darker but she has always had a white ring around her pupil...what could that be? My husband is black and I am of indian descent but her dad's great great grandfather is Irish and has blue eyes. His grandfather has all black features except he has blue eyes. I know this is a recessive gene but what is the white ring...it's not around her iris but her pupil. THanks
Related Discussions
284078_tn?1282620298
I'm sorry but I'm having trouble visualizing it.  Sometimes you just have to see it in person.  All I can say is that you can have your pediatrician take a quick look at to be on the safe side.  Sometimes, as a lay person,  it is really difficult to know what you are looking at when it comes to the eye.  What you are seeing could be a totally normal thing but in rare instances, a white ring around the cornea could be a sign of an abnormality.  Playing it safe, I would say show it to your pediatrician and ask him if a referral to a pediatric ophthalmologist is in order.
Blank
Continue discussion Blank
This Forum's Experts
233488_tn?1310696703
John C Hagan III, MD, FACS, FAAOBlank
Discover Vision Centers of Kansas City
Kansas City, MO
2078052_tn?1331936700
Doreen Fazio, M.D.Blank
Amerisight Institute and Valley Eye Center
Van Nuys, CA
MedHelp Health Answers