Eye Care Community
Inflamed and Red Corner of Eye (Picture attached)

This patient support community is for discussions relating to eye care, cataracts, glaucoma, retinal detachment, eye infections, misaligned eyes, intra-ocular implants, refractive surgery (LASIK and CK), glasses, contact lenses, amblyopia, eye injuries, dry eyes, ocular allergy, eye pain and discomfort, pediatric eye disorders, eyelid and tearduct surgery, poor eyesight, and eye surgery.

7514546?1324412822
I am a, just turned, 30 year old female. 10 months ago, I noticed that the corner of my right eye (inside near nose) was a little red. Over the next 6 months it continued to get worse and worse and I ended up with a mass of inflamed tissue that grew over the corner of my eye. It was red and inflamed and noticecable. I had no pain or any other discomfort associated with it though. It just looked red. During those 6 months I met with FIVE different eye doctors. No one seemed to know what was causing this. I had various tests done, blood work on EVERYTHING, prescribed every eye drop known to man, and even tried an oral steroid for inflamation (inflammation) and even got an MRI!!! They could not find anything life threatening or serious or what was causing it. I finally went to an eye surgeon and he suggested we cut out the inflamed tissue mass, and send it to a lab to make sure. So we did. The results came back and the tissue he cut out was benign. He said I basically have an overgrowth of blood vessels in the corner of my eye, causing my eye to look inflamed and red but there is nothing serious to worry about. He is led to believe it is my immune system causing this but we dont know why or how to stop it. It is now 4 months AFTER the surgery, and my eye still looks bad. I have a picture below. If not worse. Because now, I have scar tissue that is red and I think the inflamation (inflammation) has now spread over where the surgeon had sewn in the graft for what he had cut out of my eye. I went to him again and he agreed that after 4 months past the surgery, my eye shouldn't still be this red and he did not like the way it was healing and said it looked like the problemn was reoccuring. He suggested a second surgery but wants to get a second opinion first. So next week, I am going to see yet another eye surgeon to see what she thinks. I am starting to lose hope that my eye will ever look normal again. I am self conscience, embarassed and depressed over it. I feel helpless and worried all the time and hate looking in the mirror. It is definitely noticeable and looks awful. I have posted a picture below. I can't stop thinking about it. I dont understand why this started or why it won't go away, but it's hard for me to even look people in the eyes or take pictures with my friends. It's really bad, and I have become desperate for a cure. If anyone can offer some words of advice r anything at all,  it would be appreciated.

Tags: eye surgery, eye inflamtion, eye biopsy, red eye, blood vessel overgrowth in eye
The picture is not magnified enough to make a guess at the diagnosis.

I would suggest you see a cornea and external disease specialist.

Dr. O.
Yes, I have an appointment next week. If you click on the picture it will make it very large. Thanks!
My wife has the same condition with her eye.  Did you find an effective treatment?
I was online looking at signs and symptoms of the same condition you are going through. I look like some character out a Men in Black movie. I did find a website that explains our exact condition. I have an appointment with my eye doctor as well. I noticed the thicknening and tissue spreading even more now. It started about 4 or 5 months ago. I pray that it is a treatment for this. Please keep us posted.The website is http://www.allaboutvision.com/conditions/pinguecula.htm.
Hi, I may have a similar situation....just like the original poster here. Have you been diagnosed? Any treatment available? Successful in relieving the issue?