Eye Care Expert Forum
Inoctracular Lens Inserted - Pupil does not Constrict

Our Ask-A-Doctor Eye Care Forum is where you can post your question and receive a personal answer from physicians affiliated with the American Academy of Ophthalmology.

Hi,  Nearly a year ago I had an introcular lens inserted in my right eye (as I wasnt a candidate for lasik), when I went back for my check up my eye hadnt constricted, we waited a week and it hadnt moved so the surgeon took the lens out.  Since the operations my right pupil does not constrict, it does slightly in light but not enough to notice. If I use ipsocapin eye drops it does contrict my pupil but only to about 4mm.  Obviously with my left pupil being normal in light my pupils are very different sizes.  Is their anything I could do to try and get my right pupil working again?  Do you think it will ever return to normal, if not is their something I could do to make my pupils look more close in size.  I have very light blue eyes so my pupils are very noticable.  Thanks, any suggestions are greatly appreciated.
Depends on whether the iris muscle or the nerve to the iris muscle was damaged.  In the latter, it could come back in up to 6 months.  If the muscles were damaged, can't really be repaired.  You can consider wearing cosmetic contact lenses under to supervision of a prescribing professional.  Ask the surgeon, what happened and why your pupil changed in size.  He should have an explanation.

HV