Eye Care Community
Instant loss of vision after cocaine use

This patient support community is for discussions relating to eye care, cataracts, glaucoma, retinal detachment, eye infections, misaligned eyes, intra-ocular implants, refractive surgery (LASIK and CK), glasses, contact lenses, amblyopia, eye injuries, dry eyes, ocular allergy, eye pain and discomfort, pediatric eye disorders, eyelid and tearduct surgery, poor eyesight, and eye surgery.

Ok, so most of you might judge me wrong from the title but i am just a regular person like anyone else.  I dont do drugs at all but a few years ago i did some experimental drug use with cocaine which is the only one i have ever used.  Im a very good person so please dont get me wrong and i am on here to possibly find some help or answers for what i have to deal with everyday.

I snorted cocaine one night and felt a sharp pain in my left eye immediately and lasted a few hours.  The next day i noticed my vision was not the same at all.  So i scheduled an appointment with an eye doctor.  I was checked out and they said everything looked normal if not better than normal.  I told them what had happened and they said it should clear out and that there might be some debris still in there.   Waited a month and nothing changed.  Went back and they said everything looked fine.  Next i went to a specialty doctor that delt with vision and brain.  Ran test after test and i did good on every single one including peripheral vision, cat scan of my brain, and the test where they hook all the wires up to my head.  At this point I was very hopeless and i gave up.  So a few years, now, i feel that i would be my own doctor and figure this out myself.  Listed bellow are  the symptoms i have.

Symptoms:
-I feel like i am always starring of into space when i am actually looking at something
-Blurred vision
-eyes come unfocused and i have to force them to refocus
-worse when i first wake up

-dark(night) is extremely dark
-I cant follow/focus on something that moves quickly
-I cant focus on a specific dot such as the period at the end of this sentence.
-When i read i don't see individual letters i just see words
-My eyes get really irritated as if they are dry throughout the day(never did this before)

Any help or suggestions or anything would be great.  I have never heard of this happening before and would like to just know what is wrong with me even if it is not curable.
Thanks in advance!
Joe
A few comments:

1. It's not likely anything that is serious or that will lead to loss of sight.
2. The relationship to cocaine use is suspect especially if you're talking about mild use and only a few times.
3. You have had an excellent work-up. It's much better to have a problem that's minor but hard to diagnose than a horrible medical problem that's easy to diagnose.
4. You may have dry eyes. Use the search feature on this page to review the many posts on the two eye forums about diagnosis and treatment of dry eyes.
5. See an ophthalmologist. Have a Schirmer tear test and a tear break up time done. The ophthalmologist EYe MD physician will need to see you BEFORE any drops are put in your eyes.
6. Have a post cycloplegic refraction done by the Eye MD to see if you have latent hyperopia (farsightedness). It could account for for 7 of your 8 listed symptoms. If present reading glasses or glasses to correct the most of the latent hyperopia would probably help a lot.

JCH III MD
thanks so much for the response.. i will be looking into this..  I appreciate it.  More help and concern than any doctors i have been to.

Joe
_________________________
I have the same dilemma. And I have been trying to detox and work it out of my system at the gym. Still there is no results.  Is there a hind sight of how long it will last? Im thinking about purchasing a full cleanse detox to further the process .  I need help
I have the same issue, about seven of those symptoms match mine, but it's only when I'm really geeked up. It's good to know I'm not the only one. I know a good bit about cocaine and i've never heard of blurry vision being  common symptom. the first time it happened (right now is the second time it's happened) I was terrified, because I'd never experienced something like that before. I was afraid it wouldn't go away, but it does. Give it time. I know yours has lasted a lot longer than my symptoms did (about two days, worse in the morning) but maybe it has something to do with body weight? Maybe it hasn't completely left your system. I'm very small,  I weigh 88 pounds (Not due to drug use, cocaine is also the only drug I use, and i use it occasionally. I stopped growing in grade 6 or 7) and supposedly it stays in my system longer than it does my boyfriend's, he's about 190 lbs. It takes a lot less for me since I'm so small.

Sorry to only talk about myself, i hope you can compare your situation to mine and maybe find out why this is lasting so long.
It's been 4 years since I made this post.  After all this time my vision is exactly the same as I describe it here.  I never recovered from this.  My vision changed overnight from doing cocaine.  I've learned to just live with it.
Hi turbojoe,

Having similar problems, I thought I would mention a few things that have helped me get better.  I visited the vitamin store and started taking fish oil, B vitamins & this brain function vitamins.  It took a while for things to get better and every time I took them, I felt better each day. I also ate very healthy-- such as salmon patties.  I was worried it was going to take a lifetime to recover. Until one night I was reading articles online, my blurred vision subsided and stopped.  I haven't had re-occurring problems since then.
Is there anyone who have this problem only in the one eye? My left eye is fine, but I totally can't see out of my right eye.
hi joe,

I have the exact same thing - did your vision ever recover?

Best regards,
hi brad,

i am having the same vision problems you experienced. how long did it take for your vision to return to normal? what brain function vitamins did you take?

any advice would be REALLY appreciated! this is scary!! I feel so stupid!

thanks again