Eye Care Expert Forum
Internal spasm of eye

Our Ask-A-Doctor Eye Care Forum is where you can post your question and receive a personal answer from physicians affiliated with the American Academy of Ophthalmology.

Internal spasm of eye
Background:  7 years ago I had a small stroke for a brief while my hearing and speach were off, but after a coupple of months of therapy they were resotred.  Now, on that same side I am having muscle spasms in my left eye that cause my vision to weaken.  It is not the eyelid that twitches, these are inside along the skull edge of the eye running down toward the ear that had hearing altered from the stroke.  Would this be related or something completely different?
It is possible that this is not related to the prior stroke.  If this is affecting your vision, I would see an ophthalmologist for a complete eye exam, including gonioscopy and dilation.  Gonioscopy will determine if there is a narrow front chamber angle of the eye; if so, dilation will be postponed until that can be treated first.