Eye Care Expert Forum
Interocular Pressure Test

Our Ask-A-Doctor Eye Care Forum is where you can post your question and receive a personal answer from physicians affiliated with the American Academy of Ophthalmology.

Interocular Pressure Test

When I went to get my eyes examined, the eye doctor said that she is required by law to do an IOP test. After extensive searching on the Internet, I can't find a reference to that law anywhere.Is it really required by law? If so what is the statute and at what level is the law? I work for a county attorney in Arizona and have not been able to find a state statute on the Arizona legislature website.

Thank you.
Tags: interocular, eyes
I do not know whether or not an intraocular pressure measurement is required by law, but it is a standard part of a comprehensive eye exam.  To eliminate this test would be to perform a less than complete exam.
You didn't mention your reason for not wanting an IOP test ?
In my case, I had retina surgery, then cataract surgery with multiple eye exams that many of which, weren't completely necessary in my opinion and was confirmed "overkill" by the doc when I brought the subject up.

Anyways, my reason for limiting repeated dilated and IOP exams were the excessive amount of chemicals they were putting in my eyes.

Hence, I researched what was the minimum dilating drop concentration that would still be affective for my eyes (the techs usually use a higher concentration just to make sure "everyone" gets dilated) and asked for the minimum.  Then, the last exam I asked to have the Tonopen pressure test done WITHOUT the numbing drops=one less chemical.  The tech warned me that I might feel the quick touch of the tonopen, but I didn't feel a thing !
Even if I did feel a little pressure, I would have gladly put up with it to reduce the chemicals.
Now you know the Dr. and techs are going to minimize the risk of additional or repeated chemicals in your eyes....but they are still chemicals and have to have some affect on your eye muscles, etc. for them to dilate and numb.
These are YOUR eyes and you should have some say in what goes in them.