Iridotomies
You write: ...the only way the iridotomy can be a failure is if the opening could not be made.  If the opening was made - that's what you want.
Yes, but even if the opening was made, the iridotomy can be a complete failure if you don't have pupillary block but e. g. plateau iris. Many ophthalmologists don't know the difference, so many unnecessary iridotomies are done with the resulting severe adverse effects of glare, white lines, double vision, permanent inflammation and permanent elevated high pressure. There are many people who have a glaucoma attack after the iridotomy, and this means the iridotomy was a failure. It happens when the cut-out iris debris obstructs the trabecular meshwork.
I had iridotomies a year ago and my vision dropped from 20/20 in both eyes to 20/800 in my left eye and 200/700 in my right eye. I am hardly able to see anything. Iridotomies often lead to uveitis. It's a surgery that should simply be avoided, because it has so many side effects and very seldom prevents a glaucoma attack. It more often provokes it.
What could be done to make doctors refrain from this dangerous surgery?
Rita

This discussion is related to laser iridotomy failure.
Plauteau iris (PI) is rare and often cannot be distinguished from angle closure glaucoma even by glaucoma experts.

People having problems like you have from laser iridotomies are relatively rare and now that most surgeons put the opening at the 3 or 9 oclock physician almost non existent.

JCH MD
Is there anyone who has success from Yaz Laser Peripheral Iridotomy.
Please let me know, my doctor wants to do both my eyes to prevent
Angle Closure Glaucoma.  I have narrow openings in my eyes.

Joyce
I was diagnosed 1 1/2 years ago  (by  2 glaucoma specialists) with plateau iris syndrome, after 25 years experiencing multiple pressure attacks. I've had three iridotomies in the left eye and two in the right.......20+ years apart.  My long term ophthalmologist could not understand why I continued to have so much trouble....... Obviously he was not able to diagnosed plateau iris. I've had miniumal
glare and lines  (in vision) with the procedure. The glaucoma specialist recommended and preformed  iridoplasty in both eyes......Shortly after iridoplasty, I became aware I had synechiae in both eyes.....scarring my pupils to iris. I've had no more pressure attacks.....not sure if it's because of iridoplasty or scarring.....Ask your doctor his thoughts about iridoplasty.....Good luck with your choice.
The important thing about Yag laser peripheral iridotomy is locating the opening in a position that will not lead to ghost images, light arching or double vision. The preferred location is at the 3 or 9 o'clock position and NOT at the 12 oclock position.

ask your Eye MD where he/she plans to put the LPI. the answer should be 3 or 9 NOT 12.

JCH MD
My Doctor did tell me 12 or 1 for the iridotomy, if he went to 3 or 9 would that not be outside the eyelid, which would mean more light coming in to cause glare. I am so scared to have a hole put in my eye.  If I were to wait and have an attack could my eye sight be saved?  What are the precentages of having an attack?  Please help me understand and make a decision on what to do.  Thank you.    Joys1211
If you have occludable angle you need a LPI. Your eye cannot be dilated safely until its done, you could have an attack of acute angle closure at any time and that acan blind an eye withint 24-48 hours, and there are many medications you cannot take.

My suggest is get a second opinion. A LPI is not a dangerous procedure. There are few side effects or complications.

JCH MD
mine was done at the 9 o'clock position and I have terrible glare and double vision and it's been almost 2 years since I had the procedure done.
the 9 o'clock position was done in the left eye, had the right eye done at the 12 o'clock position and I have no problem with it at all.
I recently had an iridotomy on both eyes for ICL surgery.
The procedure was a complete success and I have none of the
side effects/complications that so many people speak of.
The iridotomy holes were placed at 11 and 1 o'clock. I felt
very little pain during the procedure and left his office as
though nothing had been done.
My surgeon Dr. Robert Brems from Phoenix, AZ is an
excellent surgeon.
I think more people should share their positive iridotomy
experiences. I'm sure there are thousands of people who have had the same positive experience that I had.
-
I had it at the 3 clock and I have glare, ghost images, light streaks. It has been 2 months now my eye still sore and I have headache most of the time. My eye pressure was always around 18 but now is 21. I wish I have not done it. I was just fine I did not feel any pain in my eyes before the iridotomy.
I have had one iridotomy done at the 3p position and have the glare. I can see  my eyelid in a mirror image. It is quite annoying. When I cover the hole up with my lid the glare goes away. I am due to have my other eye done. I have had no glaucoma symptoms and didn't not know I had narrow angles until I went to an opthamoligist for my cataract. I think the 11 or 1 position makes more sense in that the eyelid covers the hole and prevents light from entering the pupil. MY doctor says I am "Ocular sensitive" to notice this glare and that most people don't. Why do you not recommend the 11 ir 1 o'clock position for the procedure? Thank you..